Premium Plus

Apprentice

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Wichita Kansas
See below what would you do at this point. Have them ship it out or wait or just cancel and buy something else?

Chuck

"I got half of my order on Friday and started testing the unit over the weekend.

I am going to need some more time to test the units.

Below are some of the things that I found out:

First, these units have only 1 DVB-S/DVB-S2 Tuner and a Loop Out.

My main concern, is that it cannot play all of the same feeds that the AZ Elite and AZ Premium can play.

I still need more time to continue testing and also need to talk to the folks at AZ to see if they think they can fix the short comings with software updates, which I hope they can.

Yes, the Hardware blind scan does work and does a pretty good job.

The major short comings put a stop to testing anything else, besides just feeds and then trying numerous different software versions.

Out of the box it comes with software version 4001.

When blind scanning on G28, it found and added the CBS 4:2:2 feeds @ 3920, but it would not play video or audio and would show NO Signal. In the advanced scan menu, it would blink Quality on and off and if scanned from this screen, it would find the 2 channels and add them, but again, it would not play them.

On a blind scan the receiver found a CW HD feed @ 3880 V SR32362 and when viewing the channel, it had a slight stutter every few seconds.

It blind scanned in the AFN network and played The Pentagon Channel fine.

It also blind scanned in the OSCAR Feed with an SR of 29267 and it played it perfectly.

I checked some 4:2:2 SD QPSK feeds and it played them fine.

I tried the ABC 4:2:0 and 4:2:2 DVB-S2 8PSK feeds on G16 and G3C and it would find them, but would not play them. Same as the CBS feeds on G28. I could loop out to another AZ Elite or Premium and they would play them fine.

When doing a blind scan of G3C, the receiver found the 5 FOX channels that are S2 8PSK @ 4080. 4 of them were encrypted and the 5 is a camera on Times Square FTA and it played fine.

I have tried about 8 different versions of software with the same results on each. So it looks as though it is going to take some more work on the software to get the unit working right for North America, if they can make it work as the Elite and the Premium.

I will start my communications with them tomorrow and see if they have any thoughts.

I still have to try the PBS channels on AMC 21 and NBC on AMC 1, but it is getting late tonight and going to have to stop for now.

More to come...
So with these issues, I want to give you the option of canceling your order for a refund, giving me a few more days to see if I can get the issues resolved by find a version of software that will work, talking with AZ Box to see if they think they can fix it if none of the current software versions will work properly or go ahead and ship the receiver as it is with software version 4001 in the unit.

Just let me know, as I will be happy to do what ever you decide. In the meantime, I will be working hard for a solution."

wow that is kind of amazing. five hours and no thoughts? LOL guess I will have to decide on my own if I should brave the AzBox waters with this STB.

Chuck

I had the same email and just got my unit in the mail today. I will work on it this weekend, too busy to play with it now.

It is your choice or go with the Ultra, now, that a few users are confirming that it it has h/w blindscan and 422. I can tell you that it will be a much better box when Enigma2 OS gets ported to the Azbox platform very soon :tux:;)

Yeah I am kind of thinking that the box will get the bugs worked out and the premium plus will be a great box once it is said and done.

I think it is just a matter of how long it takes AzBox to get it ironed out. Only thing I am concerned about is the CPU size. If they are having to overclock it to fix some issues. That is not really a good thing. Yes I know you can overclock with no problems but why overclock with todays CPU's.

The cpu is the same speed as the DM 800HD and it seems to function OK ;)

But if i were you, I'll wait for reviews on how it is working on the E2 before deciding to buy in, it is only till the end of the month.

Good call not that long. I have waited this long I guess :)

I am surprised that no one else has any thoughts on if a person should buy in or wait.

Ultra has all the same issues as the Premium +
Hopefully they will get things sorted out sooner than later

He shipped the unit yesterday and it shows on tracking to be out for delivery to me today. Rick's is pretty close by.

Guess I will get my fill of finding out the fun of being frustrated soon lol.

I think it will be a great box once they get it all lined out. Seems like Rick is trying to stay on top of the issues by talking with the AzBox people.

Yup got it today and so far it is interesting lmao.

It blind scanned some feeds in just fine on AMC-9 however I can not get it to pick up RTV for anything.

I also can not seem to get it to let me manually add a transponder to it so that I can watch RTV.

OH well tomorrow is another day. I will try to figure out why manual adding a TP will not work. Probably a thread here on it already just have to find it.

Got it to add a TP manually. I followed what one of the threads said and deleted the TP's that were close to 11735 H and it added it just fine. What an odd problem.

I also added in a Western Digital VelociRaptor 150Gb 10,000 rpm drive and formated it and it records fine on the SD Channels. Have not tried anything else yet for recording.

Last edited:
Woke up today and it won't turn on :(
Talked with Rick via email. He gave me a quick list of things to check. Hopefully that will take care of the problem. If not he was really nice and would trade it for a new one.

Got a bonus check today. Hummm new toy :)

Woke up today and it won't turn on :(
Talked with Rick via email. He gave me a quick list of things to check. Hopefully that will take care of the problem. If not he was really nice and would trade it for a new one.

Got a bonus check today. Hummm new toy :)

It sound like your power supply mine did that I had to get another power supply it is easly to check to see if it is the power supply just unplug it from your IRD and plug in the power supply with out it into the unit and use a voltage meter should be 12v on one side and 24 on the other.

I checked it with a meter and could not get any voltage on either side of the power supply. I am sure that is what it is. I will let Rick have a look as he says he has not seen this happen yet on the PLUS units.

I put the CS7000 back in and am watching tv again :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts