Preparing for a BUD scrounge-advice needed

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sksmass

Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
Western mass
Hello all, I am preparing to go BUD scrounging and need some advice. I am specifically looking for a ~8' mesh-style BUD. I am going to use it for a purpose unrelated to its original functionality, so its condition does not matter much to me. As long as the dish itself is roughly parabolic, nothing else matters.

My questions are these:

1) should my first move be to call up local (modern) dish installer and see if they have any such BUDS lying around that they want removed from their lots? Do you think they will want to be paid for such a BUD or will I be doing them a favor by taking it off their hands?

2) assuming I get it from a private individual and have to dissassemble it on site, am I at risk for electrocution? If so, how do I (a) identify and then (b) safely remove the AC leads?

3) what is the approximate weight of an 8' mesh-style BUD. Will I be able to lift and carry it (tied down) in a long bed pickup truck?

4) is 8' a standard size that I am likely to find in mesh-style or should I be searching for a different size?

I have been browsing the boards here and already learned an awful lot. What a great community.

I would try placing an ad on Craigslist, and/or just drive around and see what you can find. Most dishes can be had for free, lots of people do just want them gone from their yards.

It is not typical for 110/220 AC to be run to a dish, but it is possible.

I would guess the weight of a 8' mesh BUD to be around 30-40 pounds (reflector only), the mount about 40-50 pounds.

6', 8' and 10' are all common sizes for mesh dishes.

What are you going to use it for?

It is not typical for 110/220 AC to be run to a dish, but it is possible.

Would there be a dead giveaway of an AC-powered dish, like the presence of an obvious electrical motor?

What are you going to use it for?

I'm going to use it as the roof on an elaborate grape arbor. I think the shape is really cool and saving stuff from the landfill is always good!

Would there be a dead giveaway of an AC-powered dish, like the presence of an obvious electrical motor?

I'm going to use it as the roof on an elaborate grape arbor. I think the shape is really cool and saving stuff from the landfill is always good!

A lot of dishes will have a motor on them (for moving the dish) but they are usually powered by 24-36V DC. Most will also have a flat black ribbon cable that has 2 coaxes and 2 sets of small low-voltage wires, these should not have any AC 110/200 in them.

I'm not going to say that a dish will not have any AC voltage run to it, but it is not typical and should be obvious if it is there above ground, just take standard precautions.

And pics of the arbor when installed, please. :)

I'm going to use it as the roof on an elaborate grape arbor.
I don't think any satellite guy could support such a use for a BUD, unless it were in terrible shape, AND...
- the LNB and motor
- the mount
- the original pole
... were all recycled to those of us who might put 'em back in service.

So, if you want to get with a local who might help you identify a BUD that's shot to hell, and take the items listed above, ya might be onto something. :)

Standard. Look around for big dishes in good condition where the property also has a pizza dish on it. In those situations, more than likely the person has abandoned the C-band thing in favor of things easier and more expensive. They are looking to get rid of them.

Before you take it, take a photo and post it (wish I knew how to do that) and ask the guys here if the dish is any good. If so, more than likely the owner will let you have it for a song.

I Got my first 8'solid that way, When I was installing it on my roof I saw a Birdview dish close by. Went over just to be neighborly to see what he could get and he said "take it, it's yours".

Drive around best. You are close to home and won't have to ship.

That's considered a Sacrilegious Act 'round these parts pardner.............lol
But if we can get you on board as a sky searchin', feed hunting Satellite Guy we might be inclined to look the other way.
Just be sure it's not a Birdview. Legend has it you'll come home to a noose hanging in a tree and a gang of unidentifiable characters lurking in the shadows.

Not that Anole lurks or anything.....er...............uh...did I say that out loud?....hehehehe

Grapes eh? My next leap of logic tell me you could be a winery hobbiest...........I might point out we can be bribed too!

I've seen a number of installs that have had a plate welded to the top of the 3" mounting pipe and the the dish bolted to it mushroom fasion. If you remove the "center part" (usually has an elongated platic cover on it) without damaging it, you might re-coop a few buck + s/h from someone here, if it's something they could use.
CAUTION! Here in Texas Red Wasp/Hornets (there is actually a multipage thread on which one is which if you can believe that!) love to reside in that cover. I dont know about your locale, but I'd be careful just the same.
In fact dont toss any of what you drag home (except the insects and their nests), post pics and somebody might make ya an offer...........

On the roof you may have to find or construct a Non-Penetrating-Roof-Mount. I picked up one this week from a Long John Silver's for 20 bucks that is plenty big to handle an 8-10' dish. I couldnt build one for that price.

There should be no "house current" anywhere around the dish, but you never know, someone may have run a circuit out to it for a recepticle. As posted, if you can determine that the only cable needing to be cut is a ribbon type having two coax runs and a number of relatively small colored control wires, there is no reason any 120/240VAC should be on it. I've seen instances where the cable had been cut long before I spotted the dish.

Last edited:
I just shudder when i hear people say that they want to wreck such a useful dish, i could see if it was already banged up but it would be better to get a fta unit and hook it up to a good bud and get some free tv and use some 1by2s and make the arch the grape vines would hide the wood anyways and it would be cheap to make also. Just hate to see a dish die like that.

If the condition of the mesh dish isn't important, why not visit a local junkyard or scrap metal dealer and ask if they have anything like that? I've taken aluminum cans to a scrapyard before and seen old dishes or dish parts lying around.

Wow, the trouble I went through to get mine like that... and to hear a story like this.... there is a tear on my cheek right now, I'm wiping it away....:river

Thanks for the advice guys. I like the advice to check a scrapyard first. I will do that. After reading a lot of threads on this forum I am also starting to get the actual BUD bug. I like to tinker, and getting free TV sure sounds good. Maybe I'll search for a junked BUD to garden with and a good BUD to use for TV.

In any case, I promise that if I have to put a BUD out of its misery I'll make its final minutes as painless as possible. I'll also strip its carcass of parts and offer them up in this thread. It's the least I could do in thanks for all your helpful comments.

We've seen folks take down perfectly good mesh BUDs and make gazebos out of them.
We've seen folks use rare & highly desirable solid spun aluminum BUDs such as Birdviews, for duck ponds.
We SatGuys don't let the scrappers/recyclers get their hands on aluminum dishes.
melgarga said:
Legend has it you'll come home to a noose hanging in a tree and a gang of unidentifiable characters lurking in the shadows.
Wouldn't be the first time.
And the characters won't be in the shadows for long! - :eek:
So, please... no pictures of your completed arbor.

However, any help in getting a BUD or a little Ku dish operational...this is da place! - :cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)