Preparing for the Hopper installer.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I have prepared the chart below (click on the PDF, ignore the "4 Joey" comment at the top, and please excuse the miserable handwriting), and prepared the attic as well. Coax from the roof mounted dish is at the end of the 26" wide pathway (avg ht 36"). I have run all the coax to wall plates, most of which are in use today.

View attachment HJ install 130506 .pdf

Do you think the chart is helpful? Is it sufficient to have Internet and Caller ID at all TVs? Have I overlooked anything?
attic path sm.jpg

Must be nice to have all that attic space. :(

Can't use it due to heat, even after I put in the exhaust fan. Did blow in extra insulation which made a big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

OK. I can plug in both, if it doesn't cause a loop. Easy to test in any event.

Yep, I'd plug into one Hopper and see if the other one sees an incoming call.... If not, and it is simple, plug a telephone line into both Hoppers...

Telephone line plugged into the Hopper allows caller ID at Joeys, not sure about 2nd Hopper.
for caller id, you'll need to connect a phone line at each hopper where you want it to show. I haven't unplugged mine in a year, but I don't recall seeing that anything has changed since.

Thank you. I'll adjust the chart accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I determined to use just wood on hand and buy NOTHING (my employer ceased ops and I'm unemployed). Oddly, the few pressure treated planks I used, were the ones that immediately shrank in the attic heat, opening gaps. And it isn't even hot yet outside. Past the planks is a single piece of wood to sit on to work on the coax. You can probably left click to zoom in a bit. Most of the coax you see hanging down is to/from a OTA distro amp, four out. The Sat coax drops pretty straight down. Installer should be happy, if I convince him to put the duo node inside. There is a duplex outlet there, for the OTA rotor and preamp.

Crawlway, actually.

attic lights sm.jpg

You can see the gaps between the boards in this pic. They were tight when installed. This gives a platform for work on the OTA & sat coax coming in from the roof. Previous pic showed the "crawlway" to the right of this picture.

Hey navychop, if your distribution point is in the attic you should encourage the installer to install the duo node there & not put it at the dish. It may require him to run a 3rd line from the dish, but that shouldn't be a big deal. With your equipment configuration everything can be tied into the node without additional devices. Imo less devices is less of chance for component failure.

Wow I wish I had that cool walkway in my attic!:D

Wear a mask and put it in! Not hard. A few scraps of wood, or purchased, for cross beams. Use levels to determine left/right evenness, and between athwart-ships supports, and put 'em in! For greatest ease, buy 4x8s and have them cut them in half, 2' wide by 8' and go from there. You might need a few supports on both sides of a single rafter, but simple math will tell you where.

Hey navychop, if your distribution point is in the attic you should encourage the installer to install the duo node there & not put it at the dish. It may require him to run a 3rd line from the dish, but that shouldn't be a big deal. With your equipment configuration everything can be tied into the node without additional devices. Imo less devices is less of chance for component failure.

Agreed! I hope to have him put the duo node inside, simple cable cut (I leave a lot of slack, for all runs- coax, romex, telephone and RJ-45).

The 3 lines from the dish hit a "grounding point" that does not "really" attach to a ground, on the roof. The three lines, plus other pre-run lines for future use, then go into the attic. And the three go straight to the receivers. The fourth, EXER, is in the attic now, but could be sent outside if that's where he insists the Duo node should go. Simple cuts in the attic can connect to a Duo, then out to the 2H/2J. All coax is labelled both at the grounding point/dish, and inside the attic. This should be a simple, quick, install. Or have I missed something?

If he does it the way I want, there's a $40 tip in it. Plus, I've really done most of his work for him. If he's dumb, he might hit the bricks, and I'll BUY the two Hoppers and a duo and do it myself. I'm tempted to, as it is. Not that much more money, really. But who knwos what problems may come up in install? Bad connectors? etc. So I'm inclined to pay for the lease/install/upgrade and contract extension. Heck, even if I decided tomorrow to go minimum and just watch whats on the DVRs and EHDs, I'd probably be 2 years out.

Last edited:
I understand what your saying for sure. If you're not comfortable with the installers abilities & you'll know within a real short time frame. Just say, look I'm sorry but something has came up & will have to reschedule. Play installer roulette just like we do with customer service. It's your house & no reason you can't have it your way.

Can't use it due to heat, even after I put in the exhaust fan. Did blow in extra insulation which made a big difference.
Not what I was referring to. My vaulted ceilings throughout most of my house means that most of my attic is a 3-ft crawlspace. Not something I can navigate, even to install an attic antenna. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)