Price Increase on NFLST for 2010 season

Status
Please reply by conversation.
First, when did the eagles start playing 17 games, :D

Second, lets try and not nitpick or get close to starting a back and forth (this isnt directed at you J) lets stick to civil discussion, thanks guys!

They get 17 games this year. 18 games or 19 games... not so much....:neener

I don't like the price increases no more than the next person. We all know SF is a ripoff and they do it to get you to pay for the HD with which I do not agree with. SF is there just to try to justify paying the extra for HD, SF sucks, nothing there that I need when watching a football game. NFL makes them charge for HD according to Stone Cold so I guess at least they make an effort to offer a "product" to go with HD but they took away one of my favorites, the gametracker with the fantasy game, which was pretty neat to see your name on ST before the games came on. I'm not agreeing at all with price increases but to hear people rave about the RZC gives me a headache.

part of it so they can make the SF package worth while. between rzc hd and supercast to try and give some value to SF.... if they did away with sf nfl just make us burry the 99 dollar inthe the package cost.

i really don't care. i simply refuse to pay that kind of money for a sports ubscription and that doesn't include pleading for free superfan. the money it will cost me to renew is almost a months rent.

my contract has been up for 6 months and depending on what national hd they give us in a fe months will determine whether i stay or go elsewhere.

yes, directv has been, for the most part, very considerate of my financial situation. i use to spend a lot of money a month for my services. but i have already started cutting back.

NFL makes them charge for HD according to Stone Cold so I guess at least they make an effort to offer a "product" to go with HD but they took away one of my favorites, the gametracker with the fantasy game, which was pretty neat to see your name on ST before the games came on. I'm not agreeing at all with price increases but to hear people rave about the RZC gives me a headache.

The NFL only has a requirement to carry games in HD as a component of the offering - SuperFan doesn't have to exist, they could include it in Sunday Ticket as an all in one. DirecTV bid $4 billion for through 2014 to offer it. Its up to DirecTV to decide how to recover the money to pay the NFL each year, could come from ST subs, might even be subsidized by base package prices (it probably is given the annual payment to the NFL by DirecTV, number of subs and the price each sub pays). The NFL doesn't make them charge for HD. The NFL only wants their programing out there, it went to the highest bid, and they want their money each year.

Other sports are different because they don't have anti-trust immunity, which is why the packages are cheaper, never mind the monopoly. Other sports teams negotiate individually with networks (be they local or national) to carry their games. DirecTV, and every other providers (Cox/ATT/Warner/FIOS), then negotiates with that station to carry the programing.

I canceled ST and SF along with Game Plan today and down graded to Choice Xtra and made a point to ask what my commitment date was. I was assured that it was still 9/26/2010, so changing your programming does not change your commitment date. I guess I'll have to exist with DTV until the end of baseball season.

Looks like I'll be canceling as well. Unless they give me something on top of free SF, I'm not renewing for the next season. Having a new baby is going to cut down on my viewing time, and having to pay more money for less viewing doesn't equate well in my life..

The NFL only has a requirement to carry games in HD as a component of the offering - SuperFan doesn't have to exist, they could include it in Sunday Ticket as an all in one. DirecTV bid $4 billion for through 2014 to offer it. Its up to DirecTV to decide how to recover the money to pay the NFL each year, could come from ST subs, might even be subsidized by base package prices (it probably is given the annual payment to the NFL by DirecTV, number of subs and the price each sub pays). The NFL doesn't make them charge for HD. The NFL only wants their programing out there, it went to the highest bid, and they want their money each year.

Other sports are different because they don't have anti-trust immunity, which is why the packages are cheaper, never mind the monopoly. Other sports teams negotiate individually with networks (be they local or national) to carry their games. DirecTV, and every other providers (Cox/ATT/Warner/FIOS), then negotiates with that station to carry the programing.

There is no comparison to NFL VS NBA, NHL or MLB. First is the number of games. Second those teams are on cable when can be broadcast to other states. Here in Minnesota NO DAK and SO DAK get Twins games. If people dont like pay for NFLST now just imagine all the fans that will miss out if they drop a league package in favor of team negotation rights(IE Yankees and Yes). My local Fox channel isn't going to rebroadcast in NO DAK and SO DAK to cover the Vikings their affaliates wont allow it. Not to mention it is more agreements to be reach. This model has the NFL agreeing with four networks.

Also other leagues have far more games to spread the cost over vs the NFL 17 Week Schedule.

There is no comparison to NFL VS NBA, NHL or MLB. First is the number of games. Second those teams are on cable when can be broadcast to other states. Here in Minnesota NO DAK and SO DAK get Twins games. If people dont like pay for NFLST now just imagine all the fans that will miss out if they drop a league package in favor of team negotation rights(IE Yankees and Yes). My local Fox channel isn't going to rebroadcast in NO DAK and SO DAK to cover the Vikings their affaliates wont allow it. Not to mention it is more agreements to be reach. This model has the NFL agreeing with four networks.

Also other leagues have far more games to spread the cost over vs the NFL 17 Week Schedule.

1. More games cost more to produce, so your point it moot.
2. The commerical networks are producing the games, not DirecTV. DirecTV is in the business of re-broadcasting that feed. Its no different than the other sports.
2. Anti-trust immunity allows the NFL to negotiate for all NFL teams at once, this allows them to put out Sunday Ticket in a global bid package. No other sport has this advantage which is why the NFL is under fire over the immunity. This ability to allow a single provider contract extension award is also why Sunday Ticket costs so much:

http://www.multichannel.com/article...cket_Renewal_Sets_NFL_Network_s_Game_Plan.php

My team is local and I can watch them OTA. I signed up with D* right before the season started and got the NFL ticket deal as a new sub. It was a lot of fun to watch the other games, but I doubt I'll pay the asking price for the 2010 season.

Something like Red Zone only would be nice, like the other providers offer. But I doubt D* will offer that by itself in 2010. So most likely I'll just watch the local games, plus any that I can find on true FTA.

I subscribed to ST for the 2nd half of this season and was really impressed. I liked the mix channel the best. I was thinking about doing the full season next year, but at the increased price I'm not sure it's worth it. I might consider doing the half season again though.

This will definitely be my last year getting it. The cost is way too high, and half of my teams games are on locally around here anyway. I'm getting tired of the NFL gouging its fans for all the have anyway, especially in this economy. Thank you new bar within walking distance of my house opening, cuz that's where I plan on spending my sundays next year!!!

Satracers comment seems like it won't be so bad and something cool will be new. I think I'm gonna try it this year and throw some nfl parties.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)