Price increases in February 2014 (UPDATED!)

HBO , in my opinion, is unfortunately not the attractive premium service it was for many years. $19.00 is unreal; I was shocked when $18.00 appeared.

EPIX is Commercial-Free and la carte too ... But Cost $7.00, other premiums cost $13.00. Why HBO cost $5.00 more?

HBO produces far more orginal programming even than Showtime. Epix produces maybe none? For me most shows from HBO are some of the best on TV, I actually would say it's not TV, it's HBO.... :)
It does help that HBOGO is availble, I use that all the time. So for me, I wouldn't pay $10 for the other movie channels, but am willing to pay the $19 or whatever for HBO. (And often can get a discount) If it were just for the movies, HBO Showtime or Starz probably at some point all show the same movies, it's just that each has some exclusive first runs.

I took it as to mean that if I currently have BB@H (which I do, and he was addressing me. Also, YES I do pay $10 a month for it), I'd log into my Dish account and uncheck the BB@H, and it would automatically pop up a choice for the $5 discount.

I'm going to try this, BUT, I'm going to wait until my bill gets jacked-up $5 for the yearly customer mugging. If it works, I want to at least think they'd realize I might be dropping it because they raised my bill higher than I'm willing to pay. If it doesn't offer it, I'll just drop it completely and save the whole $10. I own my system completely, I installed it, and I maintain it. I only have a single owned receiver, and I still pay $7 a month for dvr service. A Dish person has never set foot on my property, and they still feel the need to stick a gun in my side cost-wise. If it wasn't for my wife being technologically challenged, I'd drop down to the "Welcome pack" or dump it completely. I have a smart tv, a WDTV Live, and an FTA system, and I can get nearly everything I want by alternates that would cost me 1/5th the cost of what my Dish is going up to in price.

I'll also NEVER forgive Charlie for killing VOOM, and especially the MonstersHD channel, which was the biggest reason I subbed in the first place. Before anybody picks out this single comment about Voom from this and starts picking on me, don't bother even trying. Charlie killed Voom single-handedly, and he's the only person to blame.
Got you ...thanks a million.

Must be a pretty slow news day. Our local news had a quick segment on Dish and direct raising prices, don't think I have ever heard local news really talk about the satellite services, unless it's the usual I want to cancel and now I have to pay and didn't know I would because who reads anything

So it's been just about a year since we cut the cord and I have to be honest we really enjoy saving almost $1000.00 a year. Sure it took a bit of getting used too, and there are times we miss a few of the "cable" channels but overall we are happy. We also stream through ROKUs and iPad. Works for us!

Ross

Sent via Tapatalk

Must be a pretty slow news day. Our local news had a quick segment on Dish and direct raising prices, don't think I have ever heard local news really talk about the satellite services, unless it's the usual I want to cancel and now I have to pay and didn't know I would because who reads anything

Conspiracy hat on: The Networks upset about auto hop are making a concerted effort to report any non favorable news about DISH.... :Conspiracy hat off

If that is true, maybe it will work out as well as the 'scroogled' campaign Microsoft is running about the Chromebooks! :)

The Chromebook producers couldn't be happier with that series of ads as they sold a ton of the little suckers over the last year...

We all want to complain about the rate and fee increases, but then we mostly want to complain when a channel is gone for a bit because of contract negotiations. Kind of a catch-22 for the cable/sat providers.

If that is true, maybe it will work out as well as the 'scroogled' campaign Microsoft is running about the Chromebooks! :)

The Chromebook producers couldn't be happier with that series of ads as they sold a ton of the little suckers over the last year...

We all want to complain about the rate and fee increases, but then we mostly want to complain when a channel is gone for a bit because of contract negotiations. Kind of a catch-22 for the cable/sat providers.

Face it, people are just going to complain no matter what. Not everyone will complain but you will always find some that will.

People do NOT like Change , thus they complain when it happens.

There is a lot of truth to that. I live in a town of about 4,000 and the people here are not big fans of change at all. It always worries me that my town will wither away because no one wants any changes to come here. My town has been at 4,000 people for almost the last 20 years.

Conspiracy hat on: The Networks upset about auto hop are making a concerted effort to report any non favorable news about DISH.... :Conspiracy hat off

I think it is a dog & pony show. My MythTV DVR has had the ability to skip commercials on ANY channel at for years and there has never been anything said about that. On the other hand, every time someone gets a Dish subscription they are required to subscribe to a locals package and those broadcasters get a part of that fee. They are quite happy about Dish subscribers because it's essentially a forced tax on pay tv subscribers that go directly to the broadcast TV providers. They won't rock that boat..

I have referrals that will expire in 8 months so that does help. I could see if we Disney jr, EspnU in HD as well other channels in HD that are missing to justify the increase but there's nothing being added. I wish each referral was worth 10 instead of 5 off the bill . I'm weighing my options. The increase is set for January 17th I've heard.

There is a lot of truth to that. I live in a town of about 4,000 and the people here are not big fans of change at all. It always worries me that my town will wither away because no one wants any changes to come here. My town has been at 4,000 people for almost the last 20 years.

Small towns are always the worst about changes of any kind.

Small towns are always the worst about changes of any kind.

Yes, yes they are. We have been going through all kinds of crap here the last couple years with some changes that were being made by the city counsel. We just had our city election a few weeks ago and everyone one of them was replaced.

I happen to get comcast for Internet and phone, insert was there for there upcoming price increase, HBO as well as all there other premium movie channels are all 19.99 in the upcoming year

Get it during particular series, like Boardwalk Empire..... Or get it for a month or two and use HBOGO to see shows or movies you missed......

I thought Dish America Silver and Gold were discontinued after the last increase. Dish America at 34$ was a good price.. at 44? Not to much .
10$ increase, or 23% increase in 1 year...

Yeah, I remember jumping from Directv to Dish when the Turbo came out...$24.99. Now it's $44.99 plus the $7 ripoff fee (err dvr fee lol)...with one channel mainly an NCIS/SVU channel. Directv installer coming this morning...

I hear people call the DVR fee a rip off and other such negative things. I'm curious, how many people here actually consider $7 a rip off for having a DVR? I think it's well worth the price even though it sucks paying an extra fee, but it is an added benefit that has value.

Also, saying that $7 is a rip off for arguably the industries best DVR is laughable considering what all other providers charge for theirs. I think I may actually start a poll on here since I'm very curious to see what others think as well.

Edit: I just discovered that I have no idea how to create a poll on here. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)