Price increases in February 2014 (UPDATED!)

Maybe that's why so many complain about programming increases, I don't watch kids shows or sports & have to pay extra for no additional features or channels. Really would be nice to have a channel package in HD without those included, maybe someday . . .

Some of us here have posted that was exactly what would happen and it is going to get worse. For those with only one or maybe two choices for high speed internet you will be more a prisoner of costs if you depend on them for everything. (In Ct I have one choice for high speed) I still feel strongly Satellite is the best delivery of TV, and I hope both providers find a way to make it more affordable. Hoping DISH really does come up with a plan where you can upgrade for a day or period of time then downgrade right from the guide along the ways that they apparently are thinking about.

Yes I agree streaming is not going to be a long term low cost solution. Either the content owners will raise the online price once there is a market, or the ISPs will raise the price with datacaps. The only way to save money in the future will be to truly cut the cord and go OTA only and give up all cable stations. That may not even be the answer if the networks pull their high demand content and put it on their own cable channels.

Yep. OTA dying, bandwidth caps, more charging for content..... They'll get money out of us any and every way they can. Libraries are still free. Both paper and electronic books are available.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I just got a letter in the mail yesterday from Dish stating they are increasing the packages and why. They also gave me two offers. The fist one is Epix free for a month, not bad. The second really isn't an offer, they are going to be showing movies on channel 102 without commercials for free. They will be on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings January 31st through March 30th. The full schedule of movies is on dishmoviemania.com

The only way to save money in the future will be to truly cut the cord and go OTA only and give up all cable stations. That may not even be the answer if the networks pull their high demand content and put it on their own cable channels.

If the networks did that, the local station government monopoly would be in serious jeopardy, no matter how much whining the local stations did.

I just got a letter in the mail yesterday from Dish stating they are increasing the packages and why. They also gave me two offers. The fist one is Epix free for a month, not bad. The second really isn't an offer, they are going to be showing movies on channel 102 without commercials for free. They will be on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings January 31st through March 30th. The full schedule of movies is on dishmoviemania.com

Thanks for the info.

By the way, anyone know, is channel 102 (The Blockbuster channel) available in every channel package, even the Welcome Pack? Because I was thinking of downgrading to save money.

I am glad I never upgraded to that hopper..

I did contact CS about this and the first rep was very rude and was telling me stuff like I wouldn't be happy switching to netflix blah blah blah.. I even said I watch 90% of my TV on netflix and 8 % on my locals and the other 2% I could live without and his response was "OK" and nothing else.. he then disconnected me..

Went back a few hours later and the rep offered me $5/off for 6 months they throw this offer out like candy.. It is like the band aid of their poor service.. I have about 3 of these offers on my account due to complaints about poor on demand, etc. anyways I told her if she could throw in some showtime I would gladly keep my service. She did for 3 months!

Basically this will probably just be a 3 month band aid. I always add showtime this time of year to watch Shameless and then turn it off.. After shameless is over I will probably go to Tivo and just get my channels OTA for free and netflix everything else..

I swear I had a $5 price increase last year to even though the rep told me it had been 2 years since the last increase!

"I swear I had a $5 price increase last year to even though the rep told me it had been 2 years since the last increase!"

No programming package increase last year, but fees went up.

that must have been what it was. I don't remember what went up on my account but I do know I had to shuffle my packages around a little due to my bill going up. I am just glad this fee increase gave me a little leverage to get showtime free for a few months.. that alone is going to save me almost 40 bucks!

"I swear I had a $5 price increase last year to even though the rep told me it had been 2 years since the last increase!"

No programming package increase last year, but fees went up.

Actually there WAS a $5.00 increase in most programming packs last January and there was an increase in Hopper fees last year too. Most of us were grandfathered if we had our second hoppers activated before a certain date in May of 2012. Our dvr fees were grandfathered at $10.00 as well. OF course all this is ending come this month as everyone knows now. But there were two increases in the same year: one on programming and one for equipment.

Multichannel.com has an article from December 19 of 2012 that lists the price increase for January of 2013 as between 7% and 20% with most programming packs rising by $5.00.

Smart pack went from $24.99 to $29.99. / $5.00 increase.
Welcome pack went from $14.99 to $19.99 / $5.00 increase.
Top 120 went from $44.99 to $49.99 / $5.00 increase.
Top 200 went from $59.99 to $64.99 / $5.00 increase.
Top 250 went from $69.99 to $74.99 / $5.00 increase.
AEP went from $104.99 to $119.99 / $15.00 increase.

Certain sports channel bundles also went up between $2.00 to $4.00.

There was a "price freeze" that DISH announced in August of 2011 that lasted till January of 2013 after DISH suffered a larger than expected subscriber loss in the second quarter of that year.

Last edited:
Ok, I was off a year.

Price hikes happen so often anymore at both DISH /DIRECTV / Cable, that I am surprised that we ever remember the "price freeze". And according to that article at Multichannel , it was only because of a larger loss of subs in the second quarter in 2011 that forced DISH to even consider a price freeze at all.

Price hikes happen so often anymore at both DISH /DIRECTV / Cable, that I am surprised that we ever remember the "price freeze". And according to that article at Multichannel , it was only because of a larger loss of subs in the second quarter in 2011 that forced DISH to even consider a price freeze at all.

If I'm not mistaken they still raised prices with fee increases. I don't see that as a freeze. Like everyone else they will get their money one way or another.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

If I'm not mistaken they still raised prices with fee increases. I don't see that as a freeze. Like everyone else they will get their money one way or another.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

IN January of 2011 they did raise prices 3%- 5 % on all programming packs but did not announce an increase on their equipment fees that same month. This was at the same time they announced the "price Freeze for 2 years".

www.satelliteguys.us/threads/239132-DISH-Network-Price-Changes

But if you look at the article I mentioned in my earlier post from multichannel.com dated December 19,2012 that mentioned the price increases, they did reference that lease prices for older model Vip DVR would be going up by $1.00 ,from $6.00 to $7.00 per month. But the 922 dvr lease fee would stay at $10.00 a month; the dvr hopper fee would remain at $10.00 with the joeys staying at $7.00 a month.

Also we know that they grandfathered all of us with a hopper activated before a certain date last May of 2013 from the increase on dvr fees and increases on our 2nd hopper fees. Of course DISH has reniged on that deal come this month and we will all see our DVR fee go up by $2.00 and our 2nd hoppers will go to $12.00 from $7.00- but we will get a $5.00 credit for 18 months as a consolation prize.

Last edited:
I did a little research back on the last 11 years at DISH and I thought it would be interesting to show you the increases over the years.

(Jan 2014) (top 120 /54.99) (top 120+/none) (top 200/ 69.99) (top 250/79.99 ) (Aep/124.99) Grandfathering ends on all hopper subs that activated 2nd hopper before May of 2013 increase of $5.00 and dvr fees for hopper now $12.00 an increase of $2.00.

(Jan 2013) (top 120/49.99) (top 120+/ 59.99) (top 200/64.99) (top 250/74.99) (Aep/119.99)

(Feb 2012) No package increase or what DISH called the "Price Freeze"

(Feb 2011) (top 120/ 44.99) (top 120+/ 49.99) (top 200/ 59.99) (top 250/69.99) (Aep/104.99) /small increase on certain Vip equipment and dvr fees.

(June 2010) (top 120/none) ( top 120+/none) (top 200/ 54.99) (top 250/64.99) (Aep/99.99)**$2.00 increase on top 200/250 and $3.00 reduction on AEP -"no dvr fees" included any longer with AEP.

(Feb 2010) No package increase/Equipment Receiver fees INCREASED-(2nd dual tuner Vip receivers:622/722/722k for $17.00)

(Feb 2009) (top 120/ 39.99) ( top 120+/44.99) (top 200/ 52.99) (top 250/ 62.99) (Aep/ 102.99)

(Feb 2008) (top 120/ 37.99) (top 120+/ 42.99) (top 200/ 49.99) (top 250/59.99) (Aep/ 99.98)

(Feb 2007) (top 120/none) (top 120+/none) (top 200/ 47.99) (top 250/57.99) (Aep/ 94.98)

(Feb 2006) ( top 120/ 34.99) (top 120+/ 39.99) (top 200/44.99) (top 250/54.99) (Aep/89.99)

(Feb 2005) (top 120/ 31.99) (top 120+/ 36.99) (top 200/42.99) (top 250/52.99) (Aep/86.99)

(Feb 2004) (top 120/none) (top 120+/34.99) (top 200/39.99) (top 250/49.99) (Aep/ 82.99)

(Feb 2003) (top 120/29.99) (top 120+/ didn't exist yet till June) (top 200/39.98) (top 250/48.98) (Aep/79.99)

So in the last 11 years we have had only one year where there were NO programming package increases:2012,but there was an equipment fee increase in 2010 and 2011 . February of 2010 found no increase, but June of the same year brought us increases in top 200 & top 250 and they did away with the "no dvr fees in you had AEP " rule and reduced the pack by $3.00. This was the year that they charged the DVR fee per dvr receiver on your account, but wrapped it up into the huge additional receiver fees like: $17.00 for a 2nd 622/722/722k vip receiver . So let us look at the increase in each pack over the last 11 years :

Top 120 was $29.99 - now $54.99 a $25.00 increase.

Top 120+ was $34.99 - now $59.99 a $25.00 increase.

Top 200 was $39.98 - now $69.99 a $30.01 increase.

Top 250 was $48.98 - now $79.99 a $31.01 increase.

AEP was $79.99 - now $124.99 a $45.00 increase.

Welcome pack was $14.99 and now is $19.99 and Smart pack was $24.99 and now is $29.99. A $5.00 increase in both packs. I only wish someone could make this a sticky so we could refer to it again next year when we go through this extortion again.

Last edited:
I did a little research back on the last 11 years at DISH and I thought it would be interesting to show you the increases over the years.
That's an unfortunate waste of time. We realize prices have gone up over the years. Part of it is inflation, part is more services (HD, DVR, larger hard drives, more channels), and then the increase prices for channels because content is getting more expensive.

I don't understand why you equate rate increases with someone sneaking around the corner and trying to kick your dog. If Dish were really making with so much extortion, you would have left to go to another provider who has barely raised their rates in the last 11 years, if they actually existed.

That's an unfortunate waste of time. We realize prices have gone up over the years. Part of it is inflation, part is more services (HD, DVR, larger hard drives, more channels), and then the increase prices for channels because content is getting more expensive.

I don't understand why you equate rate increases with someone sneaking around the corner and trying to kick your dog. If Dish were really making with so much extortion, you would have left to go to another provider who has barely raised their rates in the last 11 years, if they actually existed.

Well your post was a complete waste of time for me to read as well. IF you aren't interested in the price increases then DON'T READ it. The extortion I speak of is not just DISH, who is continuing to come up with new ways to FEE us, but the companies like ESPN /DISNEY/ABC etc who continue to force all of us to pay more year after year. This leaves us with no companies to go to to avoid the extortion, since this is a system wide thing that affects all of us. DISH is still cheaper or the lesser of the two evils so to speak. I don't understand why you are completely okay with a company continuing to jack the price you pay year after year and just take it. I guess we should just call you BEND OVER, since you have no problem doing just that, and taking it year after year.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Part of the problem with comparing back that many years, is the packages aren't equivalent. There was not AT200 or At250 back in 2003. Then they were AT100 and AT150. So you have to factor in some of the increases due to content (well, at least, channel) increases.

A better way for me at least to look at it...in 2003, my bill for the 2nd highest package and 2 tvs was 55.00 (including taxes)...now, it's 75.00 (about to go to 80.00).

Can you imagine that phone call... "Umm hi I have Free HD for Life, and well I think I would like to start paying for what your giving me for free."

I don't think a DISH CSR will ever get a call like that. :D

I wouldn't put it pas someone to do that...You can't fix stupid!! :D ;) :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts