Price increases in February 2014 (UPDATED!)

No one said it did. But it's another example of increased prices without increased value. Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
Like dare2be mentioned, you have choices to cut costs, if you want to at a supermarket. Not many choices with pay-tv to cut costs. Also some things (like sustenance) are "grin and bear it" types of needs when it comes to price increases. Pay-tv is not one of those needs. Even if you live in an area where there is only satellite for internet, one ota station and phone service running on 80 year old copper wire, you can "cut the cord". You can still subscribe to Netflix's disc-by-mail service and go to the library. Pay-tv sells entertainment, and you can be entertained in many different ways.

Like dare2be mentioned, you have choices to cut costs, if you want to at a supermarket. Not many choices with pay-tv to cut costs. Also some things (like sustenance) are "grin and bear it" types of needs when it comes to price increases. Pay-tv is not one of those needs. Even if you live in an area where there is only satellite for internet, one ota station and phone service running on 80 year old copper wire, you can "cut the cord". You can still subscribe to Netflix's disc-by-mail service and go to the library. Pay-tv sells entertainment, and you can be entertained in many different ways.
Again, no one is making the argument that pay TV is essential like food, water, or shelter. So I really don't understand why you're arguing it further. No one is disagreeing with you.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Again, no one is making the argument that pay TV is essential like food, water, or shelter. So I really don't understand why you're arguing it further. No one is disagreeing with you. Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
Well, I guess I need to state what I feel more clearly. Food was mentioned in a way that kind of justifies pay-tv increases. The post was a reply to someone who is thinking about dropping pay-tv. Sure everything goes up in price, but we don't have to accept increases on non-essential services, such as pay-tv.

The cost of living increase for social security was 1.5%. The Dish increase was more than 5 times that. The entertainment industry is out of control. When you pay an actor 20 million to play a president who makes $400,000 and the actor has none of the pressures of running a country , you know that things have gone nuts. $165 million dollar football contracts. $1 million per TV episode salaries. We have no one to blame but ourselves and companies who pay for commercials for paying to support this system. I have stopped going to the movies, pro sport events, and concerts. I am now investigating my options to reduce my Dish bill. If everyone here who is upset by these entertainment prices cut some of them out or reduced them , then the message would be very quickly understood.

I could see some people eating out less to save money for cable TV. It depends on the priorities one has. Some value TV over food. Not in the sense of starving but cutting back on eating out or expensive items like steak from the grocery store (i.e. eat more chicken).

Then there are those that would rather cut back on TV.

I could see some people eating out less to save money for cable TV. It depends on the priorities one has. Some value TV over food. Not in the sense of starving but cutting back on eating out or expensive items like steak from the grocery store (i.e. eat more chicken).

Then there are those that would rather cut back on TV.

I bet Rupert Murdoch,Les Moonves,and even Charlie Ergen,don't eat more chicken!:D

Not Everyone Has Choices

Many of us who live in "rural America" do not have the option of Hulu or Roku as there's no reliable high speed internet at a reasonable cost (I have it, but it's $55, too much for many). I'm too far away to get any OTA, so pay tv IS the ONLY option (Charter, Dish or Direct). That kinda makes it a necessity, as the local library has limited DVD's, mostly well-watched, & I watch tv too much for disc by mail. I spend a good chunk of $$ on Dish (& internet) because it is my main entertainment, so I chose to lower my Dish package this time. After the 18 months of discounted HWS I may have to start playing the switch game every 2 years, as my income isn't keeping up with the equipment/package increases.

We are turning into a corrupt mexico/royal england state. Keeping politics out of it but bow down to the one you serve, you're going to get what you deserve.

I'm a supporter of Dish, I don't blame them for the increases, In fact I see them as renegades in the industry. I'd rather see my money flow to them than to others who cave in.

I just canceled my Dish service yesterday. It wasn't specifically due to this price increase but the increase was what actually got me thinking about my viewing habits. Outside of the MLB season I typically only watch about 1-2 hours of TV per day. I have a good internet connection, lots of streaming devices, and I have been a Netflix, Amazon Prime, and MLB.tv subscriber for years now. I have access to HBO Go from my parents account and I can easily get at least 1 of each of the big 4 networks plus PBS, CW, ION, and MY Network OTA. Basically, as someone who spends more of my free time playing video games and reading than watching TV I have access to way more entertainment than I have time to watch. Before this increase I never really thought about how much value I was getting out of my Dish service. I just paid my bill every month and that was that.

Dish had some nice features on my Hopper system that I will miss. Luckily I was able to turn a PC into a DVR that can replicate a lot of them. I bought 2 HDHomerun Duals for $75 each. This gives me 4 networked OTA tuners that can be used to record or watch live TV with Windows Media Center on any of my PCs. I also bought a $60 outdoor OTA antenna. Basically for about $210 I was able to turn a PC into a whole home DVR with guide data that goes out 14 days with no monthly fees. The interface isn't quite as nice as the Hopper but it's much better than any cable DVR I have ever used. If I ever do go back to pay TV there is a good chance that I will go to cable so I can continue to use this setup with 2 Cablecards so I can avoid all these equipment fees.

I have no big grudge against Dish. I liked my equipment and I was happy with their service for the most part. If I had a family who all watched different cable channels I probably would have stayed with Dish. I am a young, single guy who has realized he doesn't need cable/satellite anymore. I watch few enough cable series that season passes on the Apple TV are still much cheaper than a monthly Dish bill.

I just canceled my Dish service yesterday. It wasn't specifically due to this price increase but the increase was what actually got me thinking about my viewing habits. Outside of the MLB season I typically only watch about 1-2 hours of TV per day. I have a good internet connection, lots of streaming devices, and I have been a Netflix, Amazon Prime, and MLB.tv subscriber for years now. I have access to HBO Go from my parents account and I can easily get at least 1 of each of the big 4 networks plus PBS, CW, ION, and MY Network OTA. Basically, as someone who spends more of my free time playing video games and reading than watching TV I have access to way more entertainment than I have time to watch. Before this increase I never really thought about how much value I was getting out of my Dish service. I just paid my bill every month and that was that.

Dish had some nice features on my Hopper system that I will miss. Luckily I was able to turn a PC into a DVR that can replicate a lot of them. I bought 2 HDHomerun Duals for $75 each. This gives me 4 networked OTA tuners that can be used to record or watch live TV with Windows Media Center on any of my PCs. I also bought a $60 outdoor OTA antenna. Basically for about $210 I was able to turn a PC into a whole home DVR with guide data that goes out 14 days with no monthly fees. The interface isn't quite as nice as the Hopper but it's much better than any cable DVR I have ever used. If I ever do go back to pay TV there is a good chance that I will go to cable so I can continue to use this setup with 2 Cablecards so I can avoid all these equipment fees.

I have no big grudge against Dish. I liked my equipment and I was happy with their service for the most part. If I had a family who all watched different cable channels I probably would have stayed with Dish. I am a young, single guy who has realized he doesn't need cable/satellite anymore. I watch few enough cable series that season passes on the Apple TV are still much cheaper than a monthly Dish bill.

If you really enjoy the way you spend your free time now then stay single. ;)

Is your team out of market for you? One of the biggest stumbling blocks I have with cutting the cable (I'm with Cox, which recently announced dramatic price increases in my area) is no longer getting every one of my local team's games. As I understand it, because of local blackout rules, I couldn't watch the Padres live even if I was paying for the full MLB TV package. :(

Is your team out of market for you? One of the biggest stumbling blocks I have with cutting the cable (I'm with Cox, which recently announced dramatic price increases in my area) is no longer getting every one of my local team's games. As I understand it, because of local blackout rules, I couldn't watch the Padres live even if I was paying for the full MLB TV package. :(

No. I am using the unblock-us DNS service to get around the blackouts. I'll send you a PM with the details of how it works so I don't derail this thread to much. It's similar to "moving" with Dish or Directv to get a different RSN or locals. This is basically the internet version of that and I never would have been able to cancel Dish without it.

No. I am using the unblock-us DNS service to get around the blackouts. I'll send you a PM with the details of how it works so I don't derail this thread to much. It's similar to "moving" with Dish or Directv to get a different RSN or locals. This is basically the internet version of that and I never would have been able to cancel Dish without it.

I'd like to hear more about it. Thanks!

Seeing this thread I've realized the grass won't be greener price-wise if I switch to Dish.

I'm leaning towards the same thing once mom n pop both retire and move out the country.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Well it finally happend

America's Top 200$69.99
DVR Service $12.00
Joey Receiver $7.00
HD Free For Life (reg $10) $0.00

Monthly Charges $88.99

Bill Total: $91.44

Time to make changes.
Can anyone tell me what lowest priced package includes NESN? I did compare packages on the dish site but did not see NESN. Is it under regional sport networks?
The reason I ask is I was talking to salesperson at a mall kiosk about the increase and his advice was to drop AT200 to the AT120 and then add the sports package for a net savings of $5.00. I don't even see the sports package as an option.
While I am pleased with dish (except costs) I may be another subscriber that switches back to directv to get the new customer discounts/equipment, even if promo pricing lasts only for a year.

America's Top 200$69.99
DVR Service $12.00
Joey Receiver $7.00
HD Free For Life (reg $10) $0.00

Monthly Charges $88.99

Bill Total: $91.44

Time to make changes.
Can anyone tell me what lowest priced package includes NESN? I did compare packages on the dish site but did not see NESN. Is it under regional sport networks?
The reason I ask is I was talking to salesperson at a mall kiosk about the increase and his advice was to drop AT200 to the AT120 and then add the sports package for a net savings of $5.00. I don't even see the sports package as an option.
While I am pleased with dish (except costs) I may be another subscriber that switches back to directv to get the new customer discounts/equipment, even if promo pricing lasts only for a year.

AT120 Plus not the basic AT120.

AT120 Plus not the basic AT120.

Thanks, just got off chat and you are correct. I mentioned that I may have to switch to Directv due to cost, hoping he might throw me a bone, no luck.
Directv is quoting me $59.81/month(12 months) for XTRA - No Locals, genie dvr and genie mini, free install, free shipping and handling, 3 months free premium channels, free NFL sunday ticket, $100 prepaid visa card. Bad points, lose locals, monthly price increases $30 for next 12 months. Funny, when I requoted the promo price went up to $64.81 month!

I'm surprised D* offers packages without locals.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)