Pricing Inquiry

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pez

Original poster
Oct 10, 2009
AZ
Hi all.

I've been a DirecTV customer getting close to ten years now. We have two "standard/ basic" receivers, and the programming package we have is an "old" one that isn't even offered anymore ("Total Choice").

I was thinking about an equipment and programming upgrade. Here's a screen capture shot from DirecTV's web site of one of the packages:

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll217/PezzyDude/DirecTV1.jpg

Now, since I'm not a "new" customer, I know I'm not entitled to the special introductory pricing ($34.99 for the first year; $49.99 for the second year). But, if you look down at the very bottom of that screen shot, it lists the regular price of: $63.99

If you look at the top of that screen capture (underneath where it says $34.99), it has two check mark boxes that are already checked, and, they are "grayed out", which means you can't uncheck them. So with that "regular price" of $63.99, those two check mark boxes of "DVR service" & "HD service" are part of that regular price, correct? At least, that's the implication.

However....when I telephoned a DirecTV rep, gave them my account number, etc., etc., and told them the equipment I wanted, the price for me shot WAY up.

I wanted:
One (1) HD DVR
One (1) HD receiver

I was told that the fee for one receiver (the HD DVR) would be waived, but that I would have to pay for the other (the HD receiver); no problem, I said.

Except for the first receiver, there's a $5.00 charge each month for each additional receiver. OK, no problem.

But.....I was told that my monthly fee would be around $80.00 per month. WHAT?!?!

From my screen capture of the ad for Choice Xtra, as you see down the bottom, the "regular price" is $63.99. This would be with one (1) HD DVR. If I add another receiver (the HD receiver that I mentioned), then it should be an additional $5.00 per month, right?

$63.99 + $5.00 = ......$68.99

But this rep starts telling me about the DVR and HD service ($7 and $10) fees which would total to $17.00, bringing my total to the $80 dollar area. And then possibly $5.00 more on top of that for the additional receiver:

$63.99 + $17.00 = $80.99; additional HD receiver: $80.99 + $5.00 = $85.99

But then I bring your attention back to the screen capture shot of the ad:

Regular price - $63.99, and this regular price includes those two check mark boxes that are "grayed out" so that they can't be deselected.

So, if $63.99 includes those two service fees (DVR and HD), then an additional receiver should just tack on $5.00 more per month, the figure I mentioned above of $68.99 per month.

Did I figure something out wrong, here? Is my math too creative or delve into the area of wishful thinking?

Since I'm not a new customer, I know I don't get any of those introductory sign-on rates (or the free perks of HBO, Starz, Cinemax, and Showtime).

But what's up with the regular price?!?! If a new customer - after their two year introductory period - gets the regular price of $63.99 per month (and this includes an HD DVR), then why wouldn't I get the same? Am I being penalized for being a loyal customer for too long?

Can anybody shed some light on this for me?

Thanks!
Pez

The regular price is 63.99...Since you are adding DVR and HD it is 7 for DVR and 10 for HD. Now if you have auto pay the HD can be waived (well credited). The additional receiver is $5 which you are already paying for

The checkbox is for HD, DVR and Multiroom viewing at a promo price. If you uncheck the bottom one you can do just HD (with no DVR) or just a DVR (and no HD)

But 63.99 is just for the package...if you had a standard definition receiver

so it would be 63.99 + 7 for DVR + 5 additional receiver + 10 for HD.....HD is waived with auto pay (can be credited once you upgrade to HD)

I thought (and it's been a while since I looked at them) that when you went to the Choice package, basically it automatically added the DVR and HD fee's in there, as you mentioned.
I know your required to have the HD package with any HD recvr, but with the FREE HD that you could probably sign up for it's a mute point.

So, essentially, what your saying is how I took it last year when I was investigating moving to the newer package .... fwiw, I stayed with the TC+ as at the time it didn't offer anything I needed and probably still doesn't.

Time to take another look at that package.

I don't think this is how it was when the package was first brought aboard.
I could have sworn that the main thing they did creating this package was adding the DVR and HD fees into the price, now it doesn't look that way anymore. Glad I didn't change.
I wonder where the description is, I could not find it on the website, it could be there, I may have missed it.

Jimbo
The older packages are set up that way. My stepdad has a package like that....I forget what its called but its Choice plus, DVR & HD fee on one price for 79.99 which is a buck savings over the "alacarte" price. Of course his package is going to go up $3 whereas mine goes up 2 to equal out (we both get the HD free)

If you uncheck the combo package you can select one or both. See attached.

I added the whole thing on the 1st package, 2nd has nothing, 3rd has just DVR and 4th has DVR & HD

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 148
Jimbo
The older packages are set up that way. My stepdad has a package like that....I forget what its called but its Choice plus, DVR & HD fee on one price for 79.99 which is a buck savings over the "alacarte" price. Of course his package is going to go up $3 whereas mine goes up 2 to equal out (we both get the HD free)

I've got TC+ and you add the DVR and HD to it and taxes of course and 3 addl. recvrs and thats what I pay.
Don't know where it stands at the moment, all I know is it's going up by $ 6 p/m this year.

Hey, guys; thanks for all the replies.

Well.....I guess in the picture of that ad (the screen shot from that link in my original post) is misleading in my estimation.

I knew the check mark could be removed from the "Whole-Home", but I didn't realize that after this that the checks could be removed from the DVR and HD service fee boxes, even though at first they're grayed out.

But, I think that the average person that looks at that ad and sees those grayed out boxes is going to think that those two services just come included in the price....including what will eventually become the "regular price".

Iceberg: You mention that, quote: "But 63.99 is just for the package...if you had a standard definition receiver." But when a person sees in that ad those two grayed out boxes of DVR and HD, why would they be thinking "standard definition receiver"? I think this is where it's misleading.......kind of like a deceptive business practice.

Early this morning, I was at the DirecTV web site just perusing around, and a little window pops up on my screen like an instant message/ chat box, and there's some text in there asking me if I have any questions or would like any help. At first I thought it was some kind of "bot" program and that there really wasn't a live person on the other end of this; but there really was a person.

Sooooo....I engage this DirecTV rep in a "chat". I tell them that I'm interested in the Choice Xtra programming package, and also one HD DVR, and another HD receiver. I tell them that I'm not swayed by those introductory rates and "perks" (like free HBO, Starz, etc.), but rather I want the bottom line, and what it will cost me per month after the introductory special period is over.

This rep told me it would be: $75.99. I asked, "Are you sure? Nothing else? No "hidden fee" that will come out later claiming I didn't read the "fine print"?" The rep said, No, that's it: $75.99

And yes, I know....I hadn't told him that I am an existing customer. So I did then tell him, and then he starts telling me that I can't get that price since I'm already a customer.

Do you know what message this sends to me? That they care more about new customers just signing on than they do about loyal, existing customers.

If the Choice Xtra package with an HD DVR and an HD receiver is $75.99 "regular price", then it should be that way across the boards, for new customers and existing customers alike.

I've been with DirecTV about ten years now. Basically I've had no complaints (only a couple of "minor" ones). We've had the same old programming package all these years (it's "Total Choice" and isn't even offered anymore). Our bill is automatically deducted every month from our credit card, so they've been getting steady payments all these years.

What thanks do I get for being a loyal customer for all this time? :(

I'm not asking for the "new" customer perks for just signing on with the Choice Xtra programming ($34.99 for the first year; $49.99 for the second year; free HBO, Starz, etc.). I'd just like what that rep offered me in the chat session we had, the "regular" price of $75.99 per month.

I started some contacts with the Dish Network company and also the Cox Cable Communication company to check out some programming packages and equipment. One in particular that stands out is from Dish Network; it's their "America's Top 250" (which is technically more channels than the Choice Xtra package), and an HD DVR and an HD receiver. The price? $77.99 a month when it goes to "regular price" (after the usual introductory perks, but I really don't give a crap about them).

JD Powers and Associates gives both DirecTV and Dish Network high ratings in customer satisfaction. But you know what was a little disheartening?

Before I tell you, first let me say that I KNOW that you can find complaints with just about any major company. But, I went to the Better Business Bureau, and looked up both companies; here's what I found:

DirecTV: http://www.la.bbb.org/Business-Report/DirecTV-Inc-81000357

Dish Network: http://www.bbb.org/denver/business-reviews/television-cable-catv-and-satellite/dish-network-in-englewood-co-6370

In all these years, I never knew that: DirecTV, an "F"; Dish Network, a "C+".

I'm sure I could find lots of bad press about Dish Network if I wanted, but when I saw this "F" for DirecTV, I did a little searching on the 'Net. I found some very recent articles (all from December of 2010) that are dismaying:

http://blog.al.com/press-register-business/2010/12/directv_lawsuit_settlement.html

http://www.walletpop.com/2010/12/14/consumer-complaints-against-directv-lead-to-14-million-settleme/

http://ago.mo.gov/newsreleases/2010/Attorney_General_Koster_announces_settlement_with_DIRECTV_for_deceptive_practices_state_to_receive_185_000_consumers_to_get_restitution_/
That second link starts with, "DirecTV, one of the most complained-about companies in the country..." Wow.

Well, I didn't think I'd be looking into switching providers after ten years, but maybe I will. Those three articles in the links I gave? All of them seem mainly about deceptive and unfair sales practices, and rules of conduct in how they treat their customers. Yeah, I'd say I'm feeling that about now.

Like I said, I'm sure I could find some bad press about Dish Network, but after seeing the BBB's rating of an "F" for DirecTV....well, it got me thinking.

This is unfortunate. After a decade of being a loyal customer, and it comes to this. Just thought I could get a fair shake. Bummer.

Pez

This rep told me it would be: $75.99. I asked, "Are you sure? Nothing else? No "hidden fee" that will come out later claiming I didn't read the "fine print"?" The rep said, No, that's it: $75.99

And yes, I know....I hadn't told him that I am an existing customer. So I did then tell him, and then he starts telling me that I can't get that price since I'm already a customer.

Do you know what message this sends to me? That they care more about new customers just signing on than they do about loyal, existing customers.

If the Choice Xtra package with an HD DVR and an HD receiver is $75.99 "regular price", then it should be that way across the boards, for new customers and existing customers alike.
If you have auto pay then the rep is correct.
63.99 for package
7.00 for DVR fee
5.00 for extra reciever
10.00 for HD (waived if you are on auto pay)

and I dont believe anything the ripoff BBB says. They'll give anyone an A+ if you pay them ;)
Also as commonplace folks will whine about anything but very rarely is positive stuff posted.

Hey, guys; thanks for all the replies.

Well.....I guess in the picture of that ad (the screen shot from that link in my original post) is misleading in my estimation.

I knew the check mark could be removed from the "Whole-Home", but I didn't realize that after this that the checks could be removed from the DVR and HD service fee boxes, even though at first they're grayed out.

But, I think that the average person that looks at that ad and sees those grayed out boxes is going to think that those two services just come included in the price....including what will eventually become the "regular price".

Iceberg: You mention that, quote: "But 63.99 is just for the package...if you had a standard definition receiver." But when a person sees in that ad those two grayed out boxes of DVR and HD, why would they be thinking "standard definition receiver"? I think this is where it's misleading.......kind of like a deceptive business practice.

Early this morning, I was at the DirecTV web site just perusing around, and a little window pops up on my screen like an instant message/ chat box, and there's some text in there asking me if I have any questions or would like any help. At first I thought it was some kind of "bot" program and that there really wasn't a live person on the other end of this; but there really was a person.

Sooooo....I engage this DirecTV rep in a "chat". I tell them that I'm interested in the Choice Xtra programming package, and also one HD DVR, and another HD receiver. I tell them that I'm not swayed by those introductory rates and "perks" (like free HBO, Starz, etc.), but rather I want the bottom line, and what it will cost me per month after the introductory special period is over.

I've been with DirecTV about ten years now. Basically I've had no complaints (only a couple of "minor" ones). We've had the same old programming package all these years (it's "Total Choice" and isn't even offered anymore). Our bill is automatically deducted every month from our credit card, so they've been getting steady payments all these years.

What thanks do I get for being a loyal customer for all this time? :(

I'm not asking for the "new" customer perks for just signing on with the Choice Xtra programming ($34.99 for the first year; $49.99 for the second year; free HBO, Starz, etc.). I'd just like what that rep offered me in the chat session we had, the "regular" price of $75.99 per month.

I started some contacts with the Dish Network company and also the Cox Cable Communication company to check out some programming packages and equipment. One in particular that stands out is from Dish Network; it's their "America's Top 250" (which is technically more channels than the Choice Xtra package), and an HD DVR and an HD receiver. The price? $77.99 a month when it goes to "regular price" (after the usual introductory perks, but I really don't give a crap about them).

JD Powers and Associates gives both DirecTV and Dish Network high ratings in customer satisfaction. But you know what was a little disheartening?

Before I tell you, first let me say that I KNOW that you can find complaints with just about any major company. But, I went to the Better Business Bureau, and looked up both companies; here's what I found:

DirecTV: http://www.la.bbb.org/Business-Report/DirecTV-Inc-81000357

Dish Network: http://www.bbb.org/denver/business-reviews/television-cable-catv-and-satellite/dish-network-in-englewood-co-6370

In all these years, I never knew that: DirecTV, an "F"; Dish Network, a "C+".

I'm sure I could find lots of bad press about Dish Network if I wanted, but when I saw this "F" for DirecTV, I did a little searching on the 'Net. I found some very recent articles (all from December of 2010) that are dismaying:

http://blog.al.com/press-register-business/2010/12/directv_lawsuit_settlement.html

http://www.walletpop.com/2010/12/14/consumer-complaints-against-directv-lead-to-14-million-settleme/

http://ago.mo.gov/newsreleases/2010/Attorney_General_Koster_announces_settlement_with_DIRECTV_for_deceptive_practices_state_to_receive_185_000_consumers_to_get_restitution_/
That second link starts with, "DirecTV, one of the most complained-about companies in the country..." Wow.

Well, I didn't think I'd be looking into switching providers after ten years, but maybe I will. Those three articles in the links I gave? All of them seem mainly about deceptive and unfair sales practices, and rules of conduct in how they treat their customers. Yeah, I'd say I'm feeling that about now.

Like I said, I'm sure I could find some bad press about Dish Network, but after seeing the BBB's rating of an "F" for DirecTV....well, it got me thinking.

This is unfortunate. After a decade of being a loyal customer, and it comes to this. Just thought I could get a fair shake. Bummer.

Pez

You've been with the company for ten+ years and you find a BBB report on them that is negative and you want to now change providers ?

Most major companies will not have a sterling record when you have as many subs involved.

10 years of your own personal experience with Directv,and now your going to doubt them because of the BBB reports?

First off D* has had an addtional receiver charge for over 10 years.
Second, they also charged $10 extra ever since they had an HD package for over 5 years now
Third, a DVR fee has always been addtional ,except in the Premium Package, which was Included, but now isn't and hasn't been for 2 years.

The "With DVR" and "HD/DVR" choice packs are Old grandfathered packs that still charged DVR and HD fee's Just rolled into the Basepacks Price.

Was cheaper, for a Total choice plus customer with HD and DVR add on,then it was to have HD/DVR Choice pack.

Bottom Line.

These are the base packs
Choice $60.99 w/HD DVR $82.99 2 rooms
Choice Extra $65.99 w/ HD DVR $87.99
Choice Ultimate $70.99 w/HD DVR $92.99
Choice Premier $114.99 w/HD DVR $136.99

Last edited:
Hi all.

I realize I tend to write lengthy posts, so I'll try to keep this one relatively short :eek:

Iceberg: The rep was correct with $75.99? That was the rep I was in the text "chat" with while on-line at the DirecTV web site. When I let him know that I was an already existing customer, he starts backpedaling and saying I might not be able to get that price since I'm already a customer.

After the "new" member perks are over, and the regular price is supposed to be $75.99 per month (with Choice Xtra, one HD DVR, and one HD receiver), then I should be able to get that price like the rep quoted me in the on-line text chat.

But when I was on the telephone with DirecTV and requesting this (and them knowing I'm an existing customer), here's the breakdown they gave me:

Choice Xtra: $63.99
DVR service: $7.00
HD service fee: $10.00
Extra receiver: $5.00
Total: $85.99 per month

That's $10.00 more than $75.99 per month, and $10.00 times twelve months in a year is $120.00; nice chunk of change.

And the ripoff BBB? Many people put a lot of stock in them and look for their "seal of approval". And how about those links/ articles? One mentions a figure of $13.25 million, and another of $14 million.

Jimbo: I'm not basing my inclination to now change providers just on that BBB report. I had basically been contented all these past ten years with DirecTV. I used to live in Pennsylvania and had Comcast Cable, and now since I've had DirecTV, I've bragged to friends how much better the picture, etc. is. But ever since this resistance I've been getting back-and-forth between me and the DirecTV reps on what should be the base price for me based on what I requested, it has soured me.

So on a whim, I happened to look them up on BBB along with Dish Network, and it was a bit of a shock on what I found. Plus those three links/ articles.

And yes, I know, most major companies will not have a sterling record. You can find negative articles on, say, any of the major automobile manufacturers....major electronic/ technology producers......on and on....

Hemi 6.1: Like I said to Jimbo, I'm not just basing this on that BBB report.

So anyway......, like I mentioned based on what Iceberg said, I should be able to get that $75.99 regular price. But, I'm being told $85.99. A "new" customer will eventually pay a regular price of $75.99 (based on the programming and equipment I listed), but I, an "existing customer", get penalized and have to pay $85.99. I know: Life's not fair. But when it comes to business and sales practices.....well, something is fishy here.

There's an old saying that goes something like, "It takes years to win a customer and only seconds to lose one."

I said I'd try to keep this post relatively short. Oops. :eek:
Pez

Iceberg: The rep was correct with $75.99? That was the rep I was in the text "chat" with while on-line at the DirecTV web site. When I let him know that I was an already existing customer, he starts backpedaling and saying I might not be able to get that price since I'm already a customer.

After the "new" member perks are over, and the regular price is supposed to be $75.99 per month (with Choice Xtra, one HD DVR, and one HD receiver), then I should be able to get that price like the rep quoted me in the on-line text chat.

But when I was on the telephone with DirecTV and requesting this (and them knowing I'm an existing customer), here's the breakdown they gave me:

Choice Xtra: $63.99
DVR service: $7.00
HD service fee: $10.00
Extra receiver: $5.00
Total: $85.99 per month

That's $10.00 more than $75.99 per month, and $10.00 times twelve months in a year is $120.00; nice chunk of change.

Let me ask this...are you on auto pay?
New customer pricing to get the free HD you need to be on auto pay. Since you are already a customer the price the 2nd rep offered you of 85.99 technically is correct. BUT if you read my previous two posts if you are on auto pay, after the install is completed you can call D* and get the HD waived for 24 months. I just got upgraded 3 weeks ago to HD (been with D* since February) and 10 minutes after the installer left I called D* and they credited it. They cannot do the credit until HD is activated on the account (which in your case like mine was when the tech did the upgrade). So your bill will look like this

Choice Xtra 63.99
DVR fee 7.00
HD access 10.00
Receiver fee 5.00
Receiver fee 5.00

then under credits
Primary receiver -5.00
HD Access -10.00
24 Months Free HD Access

which gives you 75.99...but again you NEED to be on auto pay to get the HD waived. Even brand new subs require auto pay to get the HD waived

Iceberg: I feel kind of sheepish for asking this, 'cause I'm not sure, but, does auto pay mean when DirecTV automatically charges my credit card each month? If so, then that's what they do. I don't actually fill out some sort of payment slip and put it in the postal mail each month along with a check; my credit card is just automatically billed each month and DirecTV gets their payment.

If this is what auto pay is (I'm guessing, I'm hoping....), then wouldn't the rep on the telephone have known this when they brought up my account on their end on their computer screen?
Pez

yep thats auto pay :)

Some CSR's dont see that your on auto pay. I've had reps ask me about signing up for auto pay even though my bill is through my Telco Qwest so according to D* I AM on auto pay (D* bills Qwest, they bill me but I get a $5 credit each month). I know when I called to get the HD upgrade the 1st rep didnt know anything about the credit for existing subs. I called back and spoke to a different rep who said that I needed to call back once the HD was on the account since they cant credit something that isnt there. ;)

After the tech left, I called up and was real nice and asked about the HD fee being waived with auto pay and the rep said yes and added the credit in less than 2 minutes. My stepdad did the same thing when he got a new HD receiver (he already had a HD DVR) and is billed through his cc. Called in and in a couple minutes they added it

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HD receiver on Phase3 dish

Upgrading

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)