Primary Receiver Fee?

jrbdmb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
It seems like I run into this same issue every few years - but I any event I am trying to figure out a "Primary Receiver" charge on my January 2011 bill.

Up through December 2010 I saw these line items on my bill:
Monthly Charges
Dec 23 - Jan 22 HD Solo Receiver 7.00
Primary Receiver 9.00
Primary Receiver -9.00
Note that my primary is a 722 and the 2nd receiver is a 211. I get HD 250 programming, renewed annually each January.

Now as of January 2011 the $9.00 credit has been removed but I am being charged the $9.00 Primary Receiver Fee. Dish Chat claims the $9.00 is because I subscribe to HD 250 annual programming.

So I'm trying to determine if anyone else is being charged this $9.00 fee for their first receiver, and if it is really due to buying annual programming. If it is then perhaps buying HD 250 annually isn't worth the trouble anymore. (Dish just auto-renewed HD 250 for $59.99 x 11 = $660.00, with locals charged separately at $5.00 a month. I could probably cancel this if it makes sense.)

Thanks for the info.

Edit - I have been unable to find out much info on what this fee is - not on Dish's website and not on SatGuys. The only possible hint is in my bill, where the "Taxes" section says a taxable fee of $9 for the first leased receiver is included in the base programming package price. So why am I being charged $9 separately? This makes the annual programming + Primary Receiver Fee cost more than if I just stick with monthly billing - doesn't make much sense.

Last edited:
The $9 primary receiver fee is charged when a customer doe NOT subscribe to a qualifying package. I also know that there were some accounts being charged in error (which is why you were seeing the charge and credit). Would you mind sending a PM with your account number or phone number so I can take a look?

I thought there was a $6.00 fee on your account if you didn't subscribe to a basic programming pack? Did it go up to $9.00 now?

That's correct about the $6 fee. There is a separate fee as well for the primary receiver on an acct without a qualifying programming pack. That fee is $9. In this case the AT 250 annually is a qualifying package so the charge would not apply.

That's correct about the $6 fee. There is a separate fee as well for the primary receiver on an acct without a qualifying programming pack. That fee is $9. In this case the AT 250 annually is a qualifying package so the charge would not apply.

So you now pay $6.00 + $9.00 = $15.00, in order to avoid having any basic programming pack? That is an increase since I did it on my aunt's account 5 years ago. The sad part was you could have the Welcome pack or Family pack to qualify and now you can't even add it.

So you now pay $6.00 + $9.00 = $15.00, in order to avoid having any basic programming pack? That is an increase since I did it on my aunt's account 5 years ago. The sad part was you could have the Welcome pack or Family pack to qualify and now you can't even add it.
I am not sure if you caught my post under "Welcome Pack" but it has been reinstated at Dish Network this week and you will not get the Primary receiver fee with that and it does include the local. I hope this does help!!

Thanks for the update Mary. That is good news that DISH is changing it's policy, in order to give something of value in place of just a $9.00 fee.

I just noticed this $9 fee under the Monthly Charges section of my online account. It did not appear on my Jan. online bill, but I am not sure when it first appeared in the Monthly Charges section. I do not remember seeing before today.
Did something change with this fee because of the 2/1/11 changes?
Do others see this in the Monthly Charges section, but not on the actual bill?
I do not see the + and- $9.
I have the Top 250 and pay annually.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Last edited:
Hi Joe99, I am not really sure what the $9.00 charge is fornow. I would happy to take a look at your account. Just PM your account or phone # to me and I will get you an answer.

Last edited:
Approximately two years ago we returned dish networks receiver and bought our own. At that time both of our receivers was owned by us. We did this to avoid any additional receiver charges. Last year when we paid our bill we paid for America's Top 200 package and an additional receiver access fee for out 2nd receiver. We got our bill about two weeks ago and noticed that our annual fee for America's Top 200 package had gone up approximatley 15% from what we paid last year. We also noticed that they was giving us a partial credit for our annual 2nd receiver fee and was charging us $7.00 a month for a solo receiver. I am not sure why they are charging us this solo receiver fee instead of the 2nd receiver annual fee. I signed into our account and looked under monthly charges and found this solo receiver fee of $7.00 and a primary receiver fee of $9.00. I am not sure what this primary fee is for. I have for the last 1 1/2 weeks inquired with dish network by message trying to get some answers. I waited a week and sent a second inquiry and got a answer but my questions was not answered. Our bill is due this Saturday and I have a hard time paying it knowing that we may have to pay another $108.00 this year for a primary receiver fee. We had already decided to stop using this second receiver so we think this solo receiver charge will go away but they failed to answer that in my message. I hate to call them on the telephone since most of the time there is a communication problem. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I am hopeful that someone from dish network will see this and help me out.

Hey jctrabue and welcome to the forums! The $9 fee should not be charged as annual 200 programming is qualifying programming for the account. There was a bit of a hiccup during some changes we made to programming causing instances like this to happen. If you can PM me the account # then I can look into it for you and see what's going on.

Need to get one my receivers deactivated so can get bill corrected if you can help me on that. Also thanks for quick message.

Last edited:
I subscribe to Americas top 200. I just paid my annual bill in February 2013. In March I got a bill for a primary receiver fee. I called them twice (March 11 & March 22) about this and both times I was told it would be removed but it hasn't to this date. Any help with this would be appreciated. If they do not remove it I am very close to asking for a refund of what I just paid and taking my business elsewhere....

I subscribe to Americas top 200. I just paid my annual bill in February 2013. In March I got a bill for a primary receiver fee. I called them twice (March 11 & March 22) about this and both times I was told it would be removed but it hasn't to this date. Any help with this would be appreciated. If they do not remove it I am very close to asking for a refund of what I just paid and taking my business elsewhere....
Why aren't you contacting Dirt like you did before?

I would like to check up on this again and see what's going on. Since our last contact in 2011, has it been happening since then? Or did it start up again recently? Can you send me a PM with the account info please?