Primestar 84E/BSC621-2 LNBF Experiment

Status
Please reply by conversation.
With the DREAMFOX dish and LNBF setup you get the perfect storm. This dish and focal distances come into play here. The wavelengths for KU and C Band on this dish create an interesting result. The C-band signals are exactly 90 degrees phase shifted.

The number of wavelengths the focal point of a dish is from the surface means absolutely nothing. The only thing that matters is that at the focal point the distance all of the reflected waves are traveling before they reach the focal point is as close to exactly the same as possible such that all the signal arriving at the focal point will be in-phase with respect to each other. A parabolic dish is different in this regard than other antennas that have reflectors, such as yagis. For antennas like Yagis it matters because the driven element is receiving energy from both the incoming signal (and any director elements) in front of it and reflected energy from the reflector behind it at the same time. therefore it must be spaced a certain multiple of a wavelength to assure these signals are in phase and add together. With a parabolic dish this isn't necessary as all the energy arriving at the focal point is reflected. All that's necessary is that the reflector is as near a perfect parabola as possible.

Since the scalar ring is just a mount .... why not eliminate the scalar ring and mount the lnbf another way so the offset isn't so much compared to the lnb? I have to say the modifications you all made do look awesome though.

Since the scalar ring is just a mount .... why not eliminate the scalar ring and mount the lnbf another way so the offset isn't so much compared to the lnb? I have to say the modifications you all made do look awesome though.

Without the Scalar ring you get no signal at all.

The number of wavelengths the focal point of a dish is from the surface means absolutely nothing. The only thing that matters is that at the focal point the distance all of the reflected waves are traveling before they reach the focal point is as close to exactly the same as possible such that all the signal arriving at the focal point will be in-phase with respect to each other. A parabolic dish is different in this regard than other antennas that have reflectors, such as yagis. For antennas like Yagis it matters because the driven element is receiving energy from both the incoming signal (and any director elements) in front of it and reflected energy from the reflector behind it at the same time. therefore it must be spaced a certain multiple of a wavelength to assure these signals are in phase and add together. With a parabolic dish this isn't necessary as all the energy arriving at the focal point is reflected. All that's necessary is that the reflector is as near a perfect parabola as possible.

Wavelength,phase and focal point are all related that is why skew is so important.

Interesting "opinion" do you have anything to back it up with?

Interesting "opinion" do you have anything to back it up with?

Yeah, it's called "Physics". Don't try to play "RF engineer" unless you understand it.

Wavelength,phase and focal point are all related that is why skew is so important.

Skew has nothing to do with the distance to the focal point of a dish. Lots of people have different kinds of dishes and those different kind of dishes will have different focal points. Skew is totally unrelated to this. Skew is determined by your location on the earths surface and the satellite your aiming at and nothing else. For example I have a small primestar dish and I have an 8.5' birdview. Obviously the focal point of these 2 is very different but if they're both aimed at the same satellite and they're both in my backyard then the skew will be exactly the same.

Without the Scalar ring you get no signal at all.

I don't see how it would function beside being used for a mount and to make minor focal distance adjustments for signal strength. The rings actually have a function in the collection of the signal? If so how does the lnbf collect the signal if its caught in the rings? Look at C band multifeed adapters... there is no scalar ring only a tube to set focal distance for best performance to its application. So anyhow.. if that's true then wouldn't you expect a significant loss of performance by cutting a chunk out of the ring to make it fit next to a lnb? Don't get me wrong it looks pretty awesome modified like that I am just always full of questions.

Yeah, it's called "Physics". Don't try to play "RF engineer" unless you understand it.

Skew has nothing to do with the distance to the focal point of a dish. Lots of people have different kinds of dishes and those different kind of dishes will have different focal points. Skew is totally unrelated to this. Skew is determined by your location on the earths surface and the satellite your aiming at and nothing else. For example I have a small primestar dish and I have an 8.5' birdview. Obviously the focal point of these 2 is very different but if they're both aimed at the same satellite and they're both in my backyard then the skew will be exactly the same.

You make generalizations that you don't support with any documentation just opinion. Your examples just prove the point of inter-relationship between frequency, wavlength , focal distance, phase and skew.

Yes, I worked as an RF Engineer for 30 years.

I don't see how it would function beside being used for a mount and to make minor focal distance adjustments for signal strength. The rings actually have a function in the collection of the signal? If so how does the lnbf collect the signal if its caught in the rings? Look at C band multifeed adapters... there is no scalar ring only a tube to set focal distance for best performance to its application. So anyhow.. if that's true then wouldn't you expect a significant loss of performance by cutting a chunk out of the ring to make it fit next to a lnb? Don't get me wrong it looks pretty awesome modified like that I am just always full of questions.

I think you have found a topic and interesting project to explore for yourself. Please post your results.

Still works with chunk missing.

Can a short metal tube in front of the lnbf work better then using the scalar ring?

DREAMFOX1-

Got my Panorama 13 Degree K LNBF yesterday from Ebay. Looking forward to testing it with the others.

Thanks for all the information you have posted, it's been a big help and target for others to achieve.

OK, enough of that diversion, back to work.

I have done some wavelength calculations for C-Band and KU-Band.

The P* dish has 10 C / 22 KU wavelengths from the center of the dish to the LNBF lens.
In order for the C-Band LNBF to "focus" it should be several wavelength from the dish. This would produce a properly polarized signal to the lens of the LNBF. It should also produce a better SQ then if it were closer.

So the f/d calculation for the KU band dish may not work for the best C-Band reception on the same dish. The data attached is for the focal point inside the LNBF and not the lens face. Obviously, the C-Band LNBF will be compromised f/d on the dish, but the in phase signal may make up for that.

corrected decimal point error.

Attachments

• dishcalculations001.jpg
    dishcalculations001.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 180
Findings and last post.

The Fabricated arm for the BSC-621-2 LNBF produced the highest SQ of 49%.
The P* arm and BSC-621-2 produced a SQ 8% lower.
The dish to lens was 22" for both arms.

Attachments

• dishcalculations002.jpg
    dishcalculations002.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 163
  • PIC00007.jpg
    PIC00007.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 185
  • PIC00006.jpg
    PIC00006.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 172
  • PIC00005.jpg
    PIC00005.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 164
  • PIC00004.jpg
    PIC00004.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 157
  • PIC00003.jpg
    PIC00003.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 145
  • PIC00002.jpg
    PIC00002.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 175
  • PIC00001.jpg
    PIC00001.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 192
DREAMFOX1-

Got my Panorama 13 Degree K LNBF yesterday from Ebay. Looking forward to testing it with the others.

Thanks for all the information you have posted, it's been a big help and target for others to achieve.

Always welcome to help a fellow tester.:up

Had very good results today.:D

Attachments

• DSC00062.JPG
    DSC00062.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC00071.JPG
    DSC00071.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC00058.JPG
    DSC00058.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC00057.JPG
    DSC00057.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC00055.JPG
    DSC00055.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC00050.JPG
    DSC00050.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC00049.JPG
    DSC00049.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC00048.JPG
    DSC00048.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC00046.JPG
    DSC00046.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC00072.JPG
    DSC00072.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 149
Has anybody experimented using C-Band eqipment on a Dish Network or DirecTV dish yet?

I'm missing some of the Canadian programming that I used to watch on C-Band where I used to live and since the CANAM site is down and I can't have an extra dish pole at the public housing I'm at, some of the neighbors have "stacked" Dish Network systems, (one dish on top of another).

I have a Dish 1000 dish, a VIP 211 receiver and a 311 receiver and I have heard that you can use Bell TV-Express Vu system on a Dish Network system.

I was going to buy a Ku-FTA system, but was told "one pole only" and "that size of dish was too big for "stacking". Got any ideas? :confused:

Yes you will

actually you will. I've tried it and got pretty decent results on G4. Lost a few points on the quality meter but it worked

But a scaler ring is the better option :)

Depends very much on the dish and lnbf setup. Since my first negative test without a Scalar ring, I too was able to get C-Band signal on a small dish without Scalar ring at a reduced SQ by 4%.

Theroy has it that it does two things:

1- Reduces the noise coming from around the edge of the dish. Improves SQ.

2- Better 'Illuminates" the dish. Again improves SQ.

It is not just an LNBF holder.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts