Primestar lnb

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sikma

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 7, 2005
Dish Farm Up North
I just got my new Pansat 2700. My question is, I have an old primestar dish with the original lnb on it. It is a new-style, so it only has one output for h/v (does the switching internally). I see in the Pansat manual that I will need to select the correct lnb freq. I assume it will be the lo-frequency or usa universal. Can someone verify this before I hook it up and possibly select the wrong lnb setup?

Should be Standard, L.O. 10750. That is what mine is and I have the same as you. You will be glad you have the single output. :)

Hi sikma, welcome to Satelliteguys :)
I'm moving this to the appropriate section where more people will see it and be able to help you.
If CbandLovers suggestion didn't work I'm sure Iceberg or PSB will have an answer for you.

Which model do you have. On the back of dish there should be a model number? What size is it?

10750 should do it.

Have fun and if you find more grab them.

sikma said:
I just got my new Pansat 2700. My question is, I have an old primestar dish with the original lnb on it. It is a new-style, so it only has one output for h/v (does the switching internally). I see in the Pansat manual that I will need to select the correct lnb freq. I assume it will be the lo-frequency or usa universal. Can someone verify this before I hook it up and possibly select the wrong lnb setup?

Hey sikma, 10750 is all you need as the other guys suggested, I have 4 primestars now
the lnb's are pretty full proof ,You lucked out with the single output. if you have a clear shot try for G10, it has more channels.

sikma said:

welcome :wave
(even though you're a Packer fan, I'll help you out :)

The LNB frequency is 10750 (LO frequency)

You got one of the good Primestars setups, with the single output :)

Thanks guys for all the help. Iceberg, everyone knows GB is 'America's Team' :D I actually have two primestars and looking for one more. My goal is to hang several lnbs on two of the dishes i.e. 72, 74, 79, 83, 93, 101, 103. Unfortunately I have to dedicate one for 123 because of southern trees. Since I'm on the subject, I scanned all of the above and in particular 101. I cannot find NBC Virgin Islands. I scanned the appropriate freq. and symbol rate but nothing. I seem to get everything else on 101...but that :confused:

sikma said:
Thanks guys for all the help. Iceberg, everyone knows GB is 'America's Team' :D
blech!!!
I actually have two primestars and looking for one more. My goal is to hang several lnbs on two of the dishes i.e. 72, 74, 79, 83, 93, 101, 103. Unfortunately I have to dedicate one for 123 because of southern trees. Since I'm on the subject, I scanned all of the above and in particular 101. I cannot find NBC Virgin Islands. I scanned the appropriate freq. and symbol rate but nothing. I seem to get everything else on 101...but that :confused:
the minimum distance is 4 degrees, so 72 & 74 won't work or 101 & 103, but the rest would :)

WVGN is a bugger to get...I haven't seen a clear picture in months on that one...best I can get is a 13 on the Pansat

I actually figured on putting 72, 79 and 101 on one dish and 74, 83, 93 and 103 on the other, leaving my last primestar lonesome with only 123. I'm also wondering if my old primestar lnb performs as good as a new kufss lnb, like a Astrotel .6 would?

"I'm also wondering if my old primestar lnb performs as good as a new kufss lnb, like a Astrotel .6 would?"

Based on my experience, I'd say they seem to perform quite well or at least mine does. In fact I have a single output primestar LNB like you and I also have an Invacom .3 C120 LNB and to be quite honest as far as signal quality goes, I think the primestar LNB performs at least equal to and perhaps slightly better than the Invacom. Anyway, that's based on the signal quality readings my Pansat 2500A gives. One thing you need to remember is that there's a lot more to LNBs that simply noise figure. There are other factors such as LO stability and some receievers may be more sensitive to this. If you look at most of the Primestar LNBs they are marked as being "made in Japan". I've heard it said before that these were actually manufactured by the same company that makes Norsat LNBs and Norsat LNBs are known for their high quality and stability. So, I think you'll likely do quite well to just stick with your Primestar LNB. Anyway, as I said I've had very good results with these LNBs.

Just out of curiousity what's the part number on your LNB? Mine is NJR2162F.

If you do decide to use some other LNB, I recommend you get one that mounts to a C120 flange and use it along with the original primestar feedhorn. What alot of people fail to realise is the feedhorn is optimised and tuned to the dish and it's dimensions. If you use a different feedhorn or an LNBF (which of course has an integrated feedhorn) you may not actually be getting all of the signal reflected from your dish as the feedhorn may only be "seeing" a small portion of the dish. Also, the opposite can happen and the feedhorn may pick up noise from behind and around the edges of the dish. This too will lower your signal quality. So, it's best to use the original feedhorn which is designed specifically to match the dish and to exactly focus on the full surface area of the dish.

One other LNB that you can use with the Primestar dishes are the old DirecPC LNBs. These also use a C120 flange to mount to the feedhorn. The feedhorn they usually come attached to is optimised for a DirectPC dish which is shaped slightly different from the primestar dish. Again if you use one of these you should remove the DirecPC feedhorn from the LNB and attach the Primestar feedhorn. I tried one of these and it seemed to work pretty well also, but your probably best off sticking with what you've got.

"WVGN is a bugger to get...I haven't seen a clear picture in months on that one...best I can get is a 13 on the Pansat"

Right now (with clear skies), I'm getting a signal level of 72 and a quality level of 60 on my pansat 2500a with a 40 x 30 primestar.

I would agree with Stefan. I love those old "vintage" :) Primestar dishes. They do seem to work quite well for thier new found applications. I read as much as I could find on Primestar (the service) and would like to know more. It was different that they were owned by cable companies, one of which I work for, and that was eventually the primary reason for thier demise. Too bad it is getting harder to find those dishes around here where I live. I want a farm of those things. :)

Hey Stefan, is that 40x30 dish you have the model 84e right? Did you get it on ebay or just find them lying around people's yards?

Yes, it's an 84E and I bought it on ebay, but be careful as some of the folks selling Primestar dishes on ebay will promise you a 40 x 30 but deliver a smaller dish. I had that happen to me once. A guy from Tyler, Texas sells them on ebay and in the title and on the page it specifically stated 40 x 30. Yet the dish I got from him was only a 36 x26. When I contacted him about it all I got was the runaround. Anyway, it would have cost more for me to ship it back than I paid so I just let it go, but if you buy a dish on ebay be careful.

As I said I got mine on ebay, but I don't doubt that you can probably pick them very cheap or free by simply looking and asking around. I've heard of a lot of people getting them this way and no doubt some of the folks selling them on ebay may even be getting them this way.

Also about the single output LNB, of all the ( about 4 or 5) Primestar dishes I've gotten, only one of them had the single output LNB. So, it seems these are fairly rare.

They sure are rare. I was lucky too. When I found my first Primestar, it was just on the pole but the wires had been discod. So when I opened the feed cover, I sure was surprised. And it does work real well with my Fortec, though I am waiting to compare signal strengths with my 36" Fortec. I have found the 2 Primestars I have in yards and am always looking, and I would love to get an 85e like yours. Have you seen the ones on Ebay right now with 2 lnbs on them? Do you know what that was going to be for? I don't recall Primestar ever using to sats.

I have seen the ones with the dual feeds on Ebay. In fact, I just bought one last week. I have no clue what they were used for. I haven't done anything with the dish yet. I briefly glanced over the manual the came with the dish and if I recall correctly I believe it mentions something about being pointed at satellites at 93 and 99. So I guess that would put the 2 feeds at about 6 degrees apart, if I'm remembering correctly. Anyway, both LNBs on this dish have separate horizontial and vertical outputs and a 4x2 mutliswitch is included to feed 2 separate recievers. Also the mount included is slightly different and allows for skew adjustment by rotating the entire dish.

""""Yes, it's an 84E and I bought it on ebay, but be careful as some of the folks selling Primestar dishes on ebay will promise you a 40 x 30 but deliver a smaller dish. I had that happen to me once. A guy from Tyler, Texas sells them on ebay and in the title and on the page it specifically stated 40 x 30. Yet the dish I got from him was only a 36 x26. When I contacted him about it all I got was the runaround. Anyway, it would have cost more for me to ship it back than I paid so I just let it go, but if you buy a dish on ebay be careful.""""

Ding ding ding ding ding.. Me too. I have 7 Primestar dishes now. I'm trying to get a picture on the internet, so everyone can see, but the last dish I bought was from this fella. It wasn't a 84E. I was and still am pissed. I have to get another to replace this one. All of mine are 40 X 30 84E except for this one. The small one is bad. I have it for G3, cuz there's not much on there and it won't pick up much on AMC 9 and G11 especially. Montana PBS on AMC 3 is out on that bird and it won't pick up AMC 4 at all. It barely gets any sports feeds on G3.

I lost WVGN last Thursday during the Apprentice and was able to get it back Monday night. This dish is the only one I have with the single lnb and it works great for digital feeds on both polarities most of the time. It won't work well for analog on both, but digital is great for the most part. I never lost the People Network or the FOX station. I ended up tweaking the dish after moving it back and forth on the pole. Freq 11991 and SR 2001 worked after spending about 20 minutes on it. All has been find with it since that time in about 5 hours of watching. I get quality in the 90's on all feeds with the DMT 1000 receiver including WVGN.

All of my LNB's came with the dishes and are Primestar lnb's. 3 of the dishes have the 2 outputs on the bottom with a cover on the back side. 3 have the 2 outputs on the end. 1 dish on AMC 4 only has the one output.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts