problem/question about diseqc motor

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

LoneShark

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
Northern VA
Fortec Classic NA setup question

OK, I finally was able to install my FTA system, and most credit is due to this site that gave me the nerv to actually go out and do the job. For that, Thank you (Especially PSB - you rock!). One problem I ran into is with the motor. I can not get it to move to a different satellite. It is currently pointing to IA5 with the cable coming straight from the LNBF to the receiver.

Whenever I plug the LNBF cable to the motor and the other end to the receiver, the display says "please wait for the dish to move to satellite IA5 Ku" and then the motor just moves all the way the right and just stops. I noticed that on the Fortec Classic NA setup screen there is an option for "Positioner". Is that the motor? And am I supposed the change the default setting from OFF to something else?

Last but not least, Since I was able to download the channels from IA5 do I have to make anymore physical changes to the dish (elevation) or will the motor do the rest to get the other satellites (ie G10R, AMC3 etc.)?

Thanks,

PS. I have FortecStar 80CM dish, Classic NA, Diseqc 1.2, Fortec Dual LNB

Last edited:
We are here to help :)

Yes you will have to set up the positioner/motor. You will need to go back to zero (true south) then enter your Latitude NORTH and Longitude WEST. The motor may move slightly, then peak the signal of your true south satellite!

Always a good idea to keep all your posts in the samew thread until you are setup!

If I want to move from 97W (IA5) to 123W (G10R), can I just move the motor to that position, or do I need to mess with the elevation? Currently set to 31 Elevation and IA5 comes in with about 65% SQ.

No, never adjust the elevation after you have tuned in your true south satellite, you need to setup the motor/dish so it is on the satellite arc, this will change the elevation AND skew as the dish moves east and west of true south.

So find YOUR longitude, google: longitude (name of your town), you will get a W number like 86.43w this is your longitude, find the satellite closest to this number, that is your true south satellite and the one you will use to setup the dish.

but... you may have to tweak a bit to find weaker tps as you may be on the arc but not 100% on the arc... this is especially true of G10.

OK, maybe I have something wrong in my setup. For my location [Bristow, VA (Latitude 38° and Longitude 77°)], the true south satellite should be AMC 5 (79°). I am just having a little difficulty adjusting the setup to point exactly to it. Some of the terms have confused me and has thrown me off.

I have probably mixed up some of the numbers :( , with that said Satellite finder states that my AZ (t) should be 182.3, AZ (m) should be 193.5, with elevation 45.1 and skew 1.8. What I find confusing is that there are a few adjustments that I don't know, like the declination setting (where do I adjust that)? Sorry about sounding like an idiot, just getting a little confused.

Thanks,

Fortec Classic NA question

I was able to point my dish last night to true south (AMC 5 @ 79°). After I put in my coordinates on my Classic NA, should I be able to just choose the different satellites from my screen? What do I need to change from the Antenna Setup page? I guess this is more of question for the Fortec Classic NA receiver than anything else?

Once you are sure you are pointed at your TS AMC 5 and have scanned in some channels and verified that you are on the correct sat (you can see the horse racing channels etc.) you can setup your other sats. Each sat must be setup "from scratch" and the proper information entered:

In the "Antenna Setup" screen do the following:

Name-pick the sat you want to setup. Most of them are here.
TP Freq-Find an active TP by going to Lyngsat.
LNB Type-enter the correct type.
Power-should be 13/18 for just about every setup.
22K-Auto.
Positioner-select this and hit USALS. Then make sure your Lat & Lon are correct. Now exit out and wait for the dish to move. Now go back to "Positioner" and choose "Diseqc". Bump the dish both ways until you get the max signal. Save and exit.
DISeqc-set for your situation.
Scan Mode-choose Power Scan and go-you should be done. Go on to the next sat.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)