Problem "Searching for Satellite" on HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.
When I optimize the reading on 99c, will 103ca also come in or do I need to optimize each individually?

No

I am sure there are some do-it-yourselfers that could come up with a better do-it-yourself method.
However, I am tech and only have text book method as it works perfect 100% of the time.

Howwever, I have only ever done this with my meter and never the meter in the receiver so I don't know how well it will work, but I imagine it will do pretty well.

Dithering 101 (since you will be using the meter in the receiver it will best if you have somebody on the phone looking at the receiver to call it out or if you can view a TV while doing this.

Set the box to "signal meeter"
Go up and loosen the 2 bolts on the sides of the back assembly (aka the mount) and the 2 bolts on the bottom of it.

First go to your elevation adjuster (one on the left) and set the dial to "0"
turn back counter clockwise 2 turns and record the signal strength
Then turn the adjustment clockwise counting each turn and number until you reach the same signal strength
Take that # of turns and divide it by 2 (i.e. it took 3.7 full turns divided by 2 = 1.85)
Now, set the dial back to "0" and turn the adjustment bolt back 1.85 turns.
Then tighten the side bolts

Repeat the steps for the Azimuth adjustment (bolt on the right).
Tip, you might need to change the first step from 2 turns counterclockwise to 3 turns on the azimuth.

If you do that with 2 people it will only take a few minutes (ok, maybe a little longer your first time lol).

Kjlued -
Thanks, I`ll get a helper and my "walkie talkies" and we`ll follow your procedure.
I had a recent problem with another dish and before loostening anything, I just applied pressure in both directions of azimuth and elevation.
It then became clear what needed to be moved and in which direction.

I had a recent problem with another dish and before loostening anything, I just applied pressure in both directions of azimuth and elevation.

That procedure works fine with a KU dish (or even a Ka dish like Wildblues) but not so hot with a Ka/Ku dish like the slimline.

Kjlued -
Thanks for the detailed fine alignment procedure. I should be able to get on the roof for the tweaking in the next day or so.
When I optimize the reading on 99c, will 103ca also come in or do I need to optimize each individually?

Jimbo -
Your post mentioned a video. Where can I find the video??
I want to make sure that I have properly identified all of the details in Kjlued`s procedure before I begin.

THANKS to both of you for sharing your knowledge on this topic!!

Once you dither the dish both sats should fall into place.

Heres a site that has installation videos, towards the bottom in the middle of the page.
Not sure which one or maybe all three will show it, it's good viewing as it will give you the overall picture as well.

DIRECTV AU9 SL3 SWM SLIMLINE Ku  Ka Dish MPEG4

Kjlued -
Thanks, I`ll get a helper and my "walkie talkies" and we`ll follow your procedure.

As mentioned, this will work to give you an idea what direction you need, but not to the point you'll want when dithering.

THANKS Jimbo & Kjlued.
You guys have been a BIG help in my education.

I followed Kjlued`s procedure given in this thread and am happy to report I got my HDs back.
His procedure is detailed and easy to follow. The results speak for themselves.
THANKS!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts