Status
Please reply by conversation.

jorgek

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Near Toronto
Hello to all.
I'm new to this site, but not new to FTA.
Last week I replaced my aging Viewsat Ultra 2000 with a new Openbox S9.
The front end on the S9 is far more sentitive than the VS. Channels that were badly pixalating on the VS are rock steady on the S9. PVR works great and the picture quality is also great. I watch Galaxy 97w as well as Hispasat at 30w.
Here's the minor problem. I shut down the S9 with the power button on the remote control. When I hit the power button to turn the S9 back on I get a boot message and then 2 green bars on the display and nothing more it freezes at this point nothing on the TV. The only way to get the S9 to come alive is to pull the power plug wait 10 seconds and plug it back in and the S9 comes up OK.

Any suggestions. I did search the forums but did not find an answer.

The SW version is HDS2-11-03-21:01A2M

Is this it, HDS2-11-03-21:01A2M? Found it in the Information box.
If not then how do I access it?

Thanks.....

-- is a hardware detection error,usually associated with the protection ic.
your firmware is old,I would try newer firmware from 2011

i am still using 11-03-21 on my s9. it works real close to the microhd in operation. actually, it does some things better. i have tried newer firmware but have gone back to this version because it works well. as for the start up problem, it is a hardware problem i think. i use the back power switch in the unit instead of powering it off with the remote. and this problem was still there with different firmware. i have had to replace several 1000mfd16v caps with 25v versions to get by a powersupply problem with my s9. i have the solomend pvr800. charlie

The S9 I had last year had same issue...changed firmware still had the problem... other than unplugging..waiting a few then plugging it back in...I left it on 24/7.
Then I replaced it with a new receiver, the Micro Hd

Thanks to all who replied.
My SW was 2011-03 -21.
I replaced it with SW 2011-08-24 and it fixed my problem. Will monitor it to verify that it is a permanent fix.

Well, after running that firmware for a couple of days I decided to go back to 11-08-24. The only difference I could see was that some menus changed and IMHO that wasn't a good thing. Blind scan didn't seem to be any better on the new firmware either. About the only plus is that when you load it it comes up in NTSC instead of PAL.

If I was just starting out with an Openbox receiver it might have been a keeper but since I've already been running the other version and am comfortable with it I think I'll pass.

Thanks Lone Gunman for the update.

The SW 2011-08-24 that I am using also comes on with NTSC.
When you power down with the remote control, is the front panel on the S9 blank except for a red LED than stays on?

Lone Gunman,
I loaded SW 2-15-12 and yes the menu is different in appearance.
Interesting though when I shut it down with the remote or hit the standby on the box, the STB shuts down and the box displays OFF on the front panel.
I will run this SW for a while and see what else is different.

Well I'm with you Lone Gunman,
I reverted back to SW 2011-08-30 after running SW2012-12-15. I didn't care for menu colors or layout. As well since this is a EURO version adapted to America, my remote didn't respond correctly. The volume and channels buttons were messed up. Also I don't think the blind scan was any faster.

Well I'm with you Lone Gunman,
I reverted back to SW 2011-08-30 after running SW2012-12-15. I didn't care for menu colors or layout. As well since this is a EURO version adapted to America, my remote didn't respond correctly. The volume and channels buttons were messed up. Also I don't think the blind scan was any faster.
no such thing as euro firmware.The firmware is identical except for the sat/channel list for the various parts of the earth.

Some S9 are delivered with a different remote. The remote with my S9 is not the same as the one int the S9 manuals that I have seem. And yes the sat list is different depending on which side of the Atlantic you are on.

there were one or two versions for the s10,maybe for the s9 also that were listed as for asia.Those were different and catered to hackers over there.(ttcam, kkcam etc.)
The hibox f2 looked identical to the s9 firmware but wouldn't work,menus greyed out,so it must have had hardware differences.
Those were the usual symptoms.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)