Problems receiving OTA outside but not in attic?

scott78945

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
In the final steps of cutting my cable and I have an older Winegard 8 bay antenna in my attic on a rotator. I can get almost all of my channels mainly in 1 directly but 2 of the major networks are in opposite directions. I am using an older Tivo to DVR my OTA and I am trying to figure out how to get all channels in, via omnidirectional antenna, so I won't have to use a rotator as some of the shows are on after I go to bed and they are already DVRing something else in a totally different direction.

So, here is my dilemma. I purchased a Winegard MS-2002 antenna and put it on my roof on my older satellite pole. I get NO channels in at all. How is this possible when the one in my attic can get all at almost 100%, depending on which direction I have it, but yet the one outside gets none in. Is there a better alternative so I can pull in signals from all directions without a rotator? Any other antennas that are better but small enough to put onto a satellite pole? I think the furthest station from my house is 10 miles away so they are not far at all. I just don't get it....

10 miles away is really close. Probably post your TV Fool report, so other people can see what you have for signal, stations and such.

http://tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

What model was the antenna in the attic? Are you using RG6 coax to hook up the antenna on the roof?

Here at my house OTA can be funny, I at first had my antenna about 12'' above my roof line but found out that it gets much better reception only a few feet above the roof. You could try moving it up or down some on the mast, might be like mine here.

To use an MS-2002, your stations would have to be close, the range for it is 30 mi. Might be that the antenna just isn't what it claims to be, looking at it I wouldn't think that it'd perform as well as an 8-bay Winegard like what you have in your attic.

Is the MS-2002 amplified? If it isn't, maybe a pre-amp might help. Really would need to see your TV Fool report to tell though, Tv Fool report and a list of what stations you're trying to receive.

I've had good luck with DB4 antennas and they're fairly small.

Here is my results. Hope this helps. The channels I watch the most are WNYS, WSYT, WSYR, WTVH, WSTM. I am using RG6 coax as well. On Solidsignal.com the MS2002 comes recommended to my zip code of 13031 so I figured I would be good to go which makes me wonder if there is something wrong with the antenna itself. I see that the DB4 is discontinued and it has been replaced with the DB4E. However, according to Solid Signal it is not recommended for my area...for whatever reason. I basically need an antenna that can point in 2 directions at once....

Radar-Digital.png

Attachments

• Radar-All.png
    Radar-All.png
    119.3 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
I don't understand, all the major networks are between 120 and 164 degrees, with the weakest ones at 134. Why not aim your fixed directional antenna at 134 and get the other (stronger) networks off the side? Did that not work? Because omni directional antennas are awful, for the most part. Multipath, not weak signal, is the biggest killer of digital TV reception.

- Trip

No, I wasn't able to pull the other networks off the side strong enough in the attic to receive and not much better outside. Guess I just have to fiddle with the outside antenna a little bit more. Would the DB4E be that much better outside? "Claims" to be that much better but unsure at this point...

Omnidirectionals are not equally omnidirectional, you still have to rotate somewhat for the strongest signal. Directionals give a 10 times stronger signal in any particular direction. Your best bet might be to add a second directional to your existing one with a signal combiner.

Please tell us more about your location and topography. When mounting the antenna outside is the antenna just above the roofs edge or does it clear the peak of the roof? For the distances TV fool shows most people could use rabbit ears inside the house, are you by any chance in a valley with the broadcast towers on a ridge above you? Have you brought the in attic antenna outside and located it on the roof so it is above the peak and aimed at the weak station Trip suggested?

Another possibility is your using too strong an antenna for your location, as the antenna gets stronger the beam width decreases so it sees less. Maybe a lousy old 2 bay bowtie antenna might be just what the doctor ordered.

Last edited:
The mount is on the back half of my roof. I would say about equal with the antenna in my attic. I think I am going to try and bring the one in the attic outside and see what that gets me. Any tips on how to get it pointed into the correct direction? If I end up using 2 antennas, I assume I can just search for signal combiners? Any particular model? I have tried indoor antennas with little success.

Last edited:
The mount is on the back half of my roof. I would say about equal with the antenna in my attic. I think I am going to try and bring the one in the attic outside and see what that gets me. Any tips on how to get it pointed into the correct direction? If I end up using 2 antennas, I assume I can just search for signal combiners? Any particular model? I have tried indoor antennas with little success.
Move the "J" mount up on the roof so the antenna is above the peak so the signal isn't being blocked by the house. On the 8 bay bowtie the clamps are the back side, you want to aim the front of the antenna for 146 degrees magnetic with a compass for a starting point. Make small adjustments from that starting point after you get a signal. Good luck.

I get NO channels in at all. How is this possible when the one in my attic can get all at almost 100%, depending on which direction I have it, but yet the one outside gets none in.
Did you install and power the "power injector" as prescribed in Figure 2 of the manual?

Did you install and power the "power injector" as prescribed in Figure 2 of the manual?

Definitely this could be the problem, with an amplified antenna and not getting power, you'd get nothing. From looking at your TV Fool report, I'd say it's odd that you get nothing at all.

Haven't used the DB4e, so don't know how it is. With the DB4, even though it's not omni-directional, it's worked good for me by aiming at weak stations and picking strong ones up off the back and sides.

Maybe you got a dud antenna, or maybe the connector on the antenna for the coax twisted and broke loose inside. I've had that happen before, I've got a bad habit of over tightening things. :D

Last edited:
Just to give you guys a follow up, the power supply isn't working properly. There is no red light lit up on the module that they gave me. I only got it to come on once or twice but very briefly. So I tried another piece of coax thinking this was it and still nothing. So its either the module or power supply itself that isn't working properly. Will try mine that in the attic on the roof and see if I can get a better signal with that. If not, the DB8 was suggested to me. However, its another $150 I have to shell out so I will see if I can get what I have working first.

The DB8e is $150, the DB8 is $92 and still available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EHWCDW/?tag=satell01-20

Do you have a multimeter? You could check the voltage of the power supply and if that's good, then the connector on the antenna probably twisted and broke inside, just needing re-soldering. Or if you just recently bought the MS2002, maybe the company will replace it? Good that you found the problem.

Does the DB8 allow the bowties to move independently? That's what drew me to the DB8E as I have some in different directions. However, I have just put my older Channel Master 8 tie on my roof and a little tweaking and I get all the channels I need in at 80+% so I should be good. Thanks guys for all the help!

Just to give you guys a follow up, the power supply isn't working properly. There is no red light lit up on the module that they gave me.
This could be related to a bad cable. If there's a "hair wire" in one of the cable ends, it could be shorting the PI. See if the light comes on without the cable connected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)