Problems with Diseqc and WinTV Nova

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Christopherve7alb

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Victoria BC
Hopefully someone can help me shed some light on this issue.

I have a WinTV Nova S plus PCI satellite card that I have used for the better part of a year to receive the FTA channels from G19 (97W). I have used the tuner successfully with two pieces of software; WinTV (bundled with the tuner card) and NextPVR. Recently, I decided to add a second dish to the configuration so I hooked up a dish aimed at 87W to the tuner card via a standard Diseqc (4x1) switch. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the two satellites working with the tuner card using either software application (although I am focusing on the bundled WinTV software for now). If I connect either dish directly to the card I can receive the expected channels, but, if I connect the two dishes to the card via the Diseqc switch I can receive only one or the other but never both without rebooting my PC (seems to be quite random which satellite will come in). I have tried 3 different Diseqc switches and verified that the switches work as expected on a regular FTA receiver (Fortec mercury 2). The only thing I can think of at this point is that the WinTV card specifically states that it will only work with Diseqc 1.0 and the switches I have state that they are either 1.2 or 2.0 (thought they were backwards compatible though).

Hopefully someone has experience with the WinTV cards or suggestions on how I can get the two satellites to the one computer.

I do not have a Win TV card, however I had a similar problem when I first connected multiple dishes to the microHd, I had to select port 1 for c-band, port 2 for Ku, etc... Is there a function to tell the PCI card to use the specific ports on the 4x1 switch?

Post some screen shots of the DiSEqC set-up menu. :)

Seeing this reminded me that I have an unused WinTV Nova S2 sitting in my computer (waiting for LOS). Here's what my screen looks like if I choose a 4x1 switch:

diseqc.png

I assume yours looks the same, using WinTV 7. The "None (Single LNB)" option shows the same, but only lists Sat A. Are you 100% sure the LO settings are the same as they were before?

Edit: does yours say 1.x or 1.0 on the screen? WinTV 6 or 7?

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm running WinTV version 7 (latest version from their website) and my setup screen looks just like yours kitty. Only difference is I have the LOF2 set to 10750 rather then the default of 10600. I'm assuming Sat A corresponds to LNB 1 and Sat B to LNB 2. Attached is a screenshot of my setup screen.

Attachments

• wintvSetup.PNG
    wintvSetup.PNG
    17 KB · Views: 166
Yea, you would think it would still work but I'm thinking the 22mhz tone isn't happening when you selected the 1x4 switch so the receiver is using LOF1 instead of LOF2

No joy unfortunately, still the same issue of just one satellite at a time.

I have made one observation though; it seems to get stuck on the first active port on the Diseqc switch i.e. if I have ports 2 and 3 occupied it receives the signal on port 2, but if I have ports 1 and 2 occupied then it receives the signal on port 1.

If your open and driver's are supported use different software perhaps ts-reader ($) or other.

Thanks for the suggestion wally, but I need something that will stream TV over my network/the Internet as I watch the programming on several different computers throughout the house that don't have satellite tuners installed.

Still no luck on getting Diseqc switching running, I've now opted to install a second PCI tuner card (had one lying around already) and use that for the alternate satellite. I just need to run another RG6 line into the house. Darn frustrating that I can't get something as simple as Diseqc switching to work though.

You might want to try LOF1 =10750 , LOF switch = 0, LOF2 = 0 make sure you put 0 in the box not leave blank ... That's how DVBViewer works ... do that for both birds

Thanks for the suggestion iron, I gave it a go without success. After reading a lot about this issue on various WinTV forums it seems to be a fairly common issue, at least I'm not alone on this one. Darn PC tuner cards are definitely not ready for prime time though.

They are way more involved than a STB for sure. I used a Hauppauge NovaS2 in MyTheatre for a while. You might download that and give it a try. Trial version runs for an hour and then you have to restart it, but it's full featured. It doesn't stream like you want though. I myself use a SlingboxHD Pro which can serve me all my satellite, OTA and access my media library anywhere in the house or the world.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts