Problems with HR-34 and associated Genie Mini

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

diitto

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
Hi, In an old home we used to have three stand alone HD-DVR's (HR20's). We moved a year ago and when we did so, we chose to keep one of the HR20's and to replace the other two with a Genie and Genie Mini. I asked for an HR-44 but you get what they have when they come out to install and what they had was an HR-34.

When you power on either the Genie or the Genie Mini, it takes a long time, at least 30 seconds and sometimes even closer to a minute for anything but a blank screen to be presented. Then, everything thereafter is also slow. Slow to change channels, slow to respond to pretty much any commands from the remote. And then sometimes I get it going in say fast forward and when I try to hit Play to stop the fast forward, I have to hit the button many times to get it to switch to play mode. And it's both the main HR-34 and the Genie Mini that talks to it.

I just went in to the third room where an old HR-20 is connected and ran it through it's paces. Do note that it is hooked up for Whole Home so even it sort of talks to the other systems. What I noted was that overall it works much better but even it seemed to sit and pause for a while when I would click a jump forward 30 seconds. It would sit for a short time and then respond. So even it isn't great but it's a heck of a lot better than the HR-34.

I asked Directv about it and they said they were aware of an issue with the Genie (at least the HR-34) and they thought perhaps they had a bad software update. I think that meant they have no clue.

It seems like the HR-34 just goes to sleep and that it's hard to wake up. Same with the Genie. Is this a known issue??? Any thoughts on what I can do???

Does anyone know if I can request a new one from Directv without having to pay extra??? I pay a ton each month for the service we have but I would never also pay also for a hardware maintenance contract or whatever they call it. I would never pay to insure bad hardware (bad to begin with). Or I might abandon the Genie concept and instead request whatever the newest stand alone HD-DVR's (HR-24's??).

Thoughts??? Is this a known issue or do I just have a bad HR-34???

thanks... bob

depending on stock in the local warehouse and how long ago your upgrade was completed you can request for a FSR to be submitted to generate a NCTR (no cost truck roll) and they can service swap the 34 to a 44. Good luck to you however, as you are aware it depends on what the warehouse stocks. Could be either, I am seeing alot of Refurb 44s already, to the point they ship and are issued in bulk packs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)