Problems with HR-34 and associated Genie Mini

Status
Please reply by conversation.

diitto

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
Hi, In an old home we used to have three stand alone HD-DVR's (HR20's). We moved a year ago and when we did so, we chose to keep one of the HR20's and to replace the other two with a Genie and Genie Mini. I asked for an HR-44 but you get what they have when they come out to install and what they had was an HR-34.

When you power on either the Genie or the Genie Mini, it takes a long time, at least 30 seconds and sometimes even closer to a minute for anything but a blank screen to be presented. Then, everything thereafter is also slow. Slow to change channels, slow to respond to pretty much any commands from the remote. And then sometimes I get it going in say fast forward and when I try to hit Play to stop the fast forward, I have to hit the button many times to get it to switch to play mode. And it's both the main HR-34 and the Genie Mini that talks to it.

I just went in to the third room where an old HR-20 is connected and ran it through it's paces. Do note that it is hooked up for Whole Home so even it sort of talks to the other systems. What I noted was that overall it works much better but even it seemed to sit and pause for a while when I would click a jump forward 30 seconds. It would sit for a short time and then respond. So even it isn't great but it's a heck of a lot better than the HR-34.

I asked Directv about it and they said they were aware of an issue with the Genie (at least the HR-34) and they thought perhaps they had a bad software update. I think that meant they have no clue.

It seems like the HR-34 just goes to sleep and that it's hard to wake up. Same with the Genie. Is this a known issue??? Any thoughts on what I can do???

Does anyone know if I can request a new one from Directv without having to pay extra??? I pay a ton each month for the service we have but I would never also pay also for a hardware maintenance contract or whatever they call it. I would never pay to insure bad hardware (bad to begin with). Or I might abandon the Genie concept and instead request whatever the newest stand alone HD-DVR's (HR-24's??).

Thoughts??? Is this a known issue or do I just have a bad HR-34???

thanks... bob

depending on stock in the local warehouse and how long ago your upgrade was completed you can request for a FSR to be submitted to generate a NCTR (no cost truck roll) and they can service swap the 34 to a 44. Good luck to you however, as you are aware it depends on what the warehouse stocks. Could be either, I am seeing alot of Refurb 44s already, to the point they ship and are issued in bulk packs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts