Problems with TSN

ak267

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
Omaha, USA
Has anyone been noticing a problem with TSN (400 and 401). The signal seems to "wink-out" (12-20 per hour for a brief second). My signal strength and quality are good. My signal light is green and doesn't turn red.

Might upgrade to a HD reciver/dish this summer. I wonder if my Navigo 301 is just getting old. No other channels seem to be winking out.

Last edited:
I have no problems with either channel.

400 Sig 71, 8.1dB
401 Sig 70, 8.0dB

Maybe you need to adjust the dish a little, or a storm is affecting the signal.

Last edited:
This has been happening since November. If the dish is a little out of whack, then shouldn't it be affecting other channels????

Ah the "since November" tidbit pops out. Yep, I agree with Da Berg. Whenever they come out with the new HD receiver(s) would be a good time to upgrade. Rumour is 6 - 10 months but who really knows with *C and timelines.

+11.8db on 400
+12.6db on 401

Wow! :eek:

I have an old receiver dish (2001). Are you saying that it's just "shorting out"? Always seems to be happening when curling is on but when I watch NASCAR on TSN, it's fine.

New HD receivers you said? For Starchoice?

Well, guess I'll have just gut-it-out until this summer when I switch to a 505 system.

Okay....will look into the receiver (as best I can). I wonder if it could be something out of whack, something wearing out or perhaps an electrical line going bad.

Funny thing is this.....I watch NASCAR or Poker on TSN, no problem whatsoever....when it goes live for curling, the problems start.

So once curling is over you will be okay. :up Maybe it can't handle the ice. :rolleyes:

All jokes aside, what size dish are you using? I would sill try to adjust your dish and see if you can make your signal better, it can't hurt.

What are your db readings on these two channels?

So once curling is over you will be okay. :up Maybe it can't handle the ice. :rolleyes:

All jokes aside, what size dish are you using? I would sill try to adjust your dish and see if you can make your signal better, it can't hurt.

What are your db readings on these two channels?

How do I get the "db" reading on Star Choice? My signal strength is 99......my signal strength is 69.

SUCCESS!!!!! I found out the what the problem was. When I got my new HDTV and DVR/DVD combo a few months ago, I accidentally changed the wiring just a slight bit.

I'm now running co-axel from receiver to the DVR, then RCA's out to the HDTV.

PRESTO!!!! Almost 100% reduction in wink-outs!!! The only wink-outs now are when the weather is bad or the usual problems (sun spots, problems at the broadcast site, etc.,).

NOW BACK TO MY FAVORITE SPORT.....CURLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Starchoice recording options for 505

need help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)