problems with XP SP3

But what make is your AMD 4600?

I have loaded this on my 3 AMD PCs here at the house (via Windows Update) and they are running perfect. All of mine are custom built AMDs. So strike a blow against this being simply an AMD issue.

I left off the X2 parts, it is an Athlon 64 4600+ X2. I built the computer myself and updated from the full XP service pack 3 CD I burned. I don't know if it is an AMD issue, a motherboard issue or even a driver problem, I am using this PC as a SageTV client and the audio problem made it unusable for my needs and I didn't feel like wasting my time troubleshooting the problem when it worked just fine running XP service pack 2.

Installed brand new Dell/Intel. It immediately wanted to dl SP3. Feeling cocky, I let it.

How foolish. That was the last thing it downloaded and installed. It has downloaded 7 more updates, but the install process fails. SP3? Norton Internet Security (even with much turned off)?

There does not seem to be a way to suspend the entire Norton. You can temporarily turn some things off, one by one. Next I might just uninstall it completely to see if it's Norton or SP3 that's preventing updates from installing.

Installed brand new Dell/Intel. It immediately wanted to dl SP3. Feeling cocky, I let it.

How foolish. That was the last thing it downloaded and installed. It has downloaded 7 more updates, but the install process fails. SP3? Norton Internet Security (even with much turned off)?

There does not seem to be a way to suspend the entire Norton. You can temporarily turn some things off, one by one. Next I might just uninstall it completely to see if it's Norton or SP3 that's preventing updates from installing.

Very wise to uninstall Norton, look at the free products such as AVG and Avast, they will provide better protection for no cost and won't use up nearly the resources.

I left off the X2 parts, it is an Athlon 64 4600+ X2. I built the computer myself and updated from the full XP service pack 3 CD I burned. I don't know if it is an AMD issue, a motherboard issue or even a driver problem, I am using this PC as a SageTV client and the audio problem made it unusable for my needs and I didn't feel like wasting my time troubleshooting the problem when it worked just fine running XP service pack 2.

I have seen some problems with ASUS AM2 motherboards and XP3 we had two in work with problems

I have loaded on an HP a Dell a home built and a Toshiba laptop without any problems. It does take a long time to download and the install, so plan on at least an hour even with DSL.

I can vouch for Avast. We have it at home and have been running it for 3 years now. I love it it doesn't cost a thing for the home version, and it does a great job. :)

I have Norton 2008 and it did not hamper my installs when left totally on & active.

AHOPE: I have never had any issues with Norton; never one infection of any type. I also know while no IS/AV suite is going to be perfect I have seen freebies come and go AND let just as much through. I'll stick with known and well supported products.

Sorry; I meant make & model of PC its in; or home built.

I have Norton 2008 and it did not hamper my installs when left totally on & active.

AHOPE: I have never had any issues with Norton; never one infection of any type. I also know while no IS/AV suite is going to be perfect I have seen freebies come and go AND let just as much through. I'll stick with known and well supported products.

No problem charper1, to each their own. I used to swear by Norton back 2001..... that all changed after a few bad experiences....

Our hardware dept. is a symantec resller and the manager won't install norton on anything inhouse, hes running Trend Micro Client Server....

Now symantecs corp stuff is much better than the cunsumer version IMHO

SP3 is apprently having Issues with Windows Home Server Link

No problem becaue Norton doesn't find everything. It won't know there is a problem if it can't detect for it.

ramy said:
No problem becaue Norton doesn't find everything. It won't know there is a problem if it can't detect for it.

Sadly true BUT the exact same would be true for every other software free or not; so shall I say I have never had any negative issues with my PC, performance, software, network, ID theft or the like or anything else regarding PC and network security; regardless of if Norton advised me of it or not.

I doubt that it's Norton, since Norton was there and allowed SP3 to download.

Norton corporate stuff? I rue the day I allowed Endpoint protection on our server. Biggest mistake I ever made in the IT part of my job. It loves 100% of the cpu cycles. And our USB 2 Dell external HDD backup system takes 7-8 hours. For only around 100GB! :eek:

I doubt that it's Norton, since Norton was there and allowed SP3 to download.

Norton corporate stuff? I rue the day I allowed Endpoint protection on our server. Biggest mistake I ever made in the IT part of my job. It loves 100% of the cpu cycles. And our USB 2 Dell external HDD backup system takes 7-8 hours. For only around 100GB! :eek:

The old Norton Corporate A/V was great but they have discontinued it. Their new enterprise security suite is a god awful POS. We switched our agency to Sophos.

I have Norton 8 at home and had no problems upgrading to SP3.

NightRyder

SEP requires policy configurations on the server in order to properly run correctly on your machines and servers. We have it on all our stuff and there are zero problems.

Upgraded all our XP Pro machines to sp3 without problems either.

I have had to fix several personal machines that had Norton Internet Security or McAfee Security Center on them that really hosed things. Those two apps are too complicated for Joe Sixpack.

Has anyone had SP3 installed for a while that can tell us how it's doing?

I have one weird thing going on lately, but I can't say for sure whether it's connected to SP3 because I don't remember when it started. The problem is that the unzip function built in to Explorer is now very slow. So slow that on a big file you would think the system is hanging sometimes. I did a brief web search on the problem and I found a lot of people complaining about Vista acting like that, but nothing about XP. Is it possible they've tried to install some Vista "feature" into XP via SP3? Or does anyone have any other idea? It's not lack of disk space, it's not lack of memory, and it's not a virus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)