problems with XP SP3

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The main issue seems to be with AMD processors when the manufacturer used an unified image for both Intel and AMD processors. I believe the installation does not realize that the processor specific work arounds are all in one file and just puts the Intel workaround file in place. This causes AMD processors not to boot. Pretty much every processor has quirks that the operating system has to have special case handlers to work around.

Thats funny I read this today due to just this morning our Database guy came in and said he could not get SP3 loaded on his home machine. He has a AMD Processor and it seems to be the issue. His work laptop loaded SP3 fine but its Intel... Just another reason I always recommend Intel and Nivida due to less issues and drivers are better. AMD and ATI are good but they tend to always have more bugs but like mike123abc said they all have their quirks.. :)

As a test, I downloaded onto a PC with an ASUS A7V8X motherboard using an AMD 1800+ with 256 RAM. This is a 4 year old machine.

No problems, so far. But I will add memory.

I have a HP m7680n. That originally came with xp on it. I then upgraded to Vista. Then I started having problems with my SATA HD. So I restored it twice. Now it looks like my hd problems are behind me. After I restored it the 2nd time, I install sp3 and have had no problems. Hope this helps somewhat.

Thats funny I read this today due to just this morning our Database guy came in and said he could not get SP3 loaded on his home machine. He has a AMD Processor and it seems to be the issue. His work laptop loaded SP3 fine but its Intel... Just another reason I always recommend Intel and Nivida due to less issues and drivers are better. AMD and ATI are good but they tend to always have more bugs but like mike123abc said they all have their quirks.. :)

I always go nVidia, but have NEVER had any issues with AMD; I also only use my own personally built PCs.

Ok guys HP and Microsoft are going to address the issue and right now do not install SP3 until they get the fix out. Once its out you will install the patch then install SP3 which will fix the issue..

Read More Here...

HP tells consumers not to install XP SP3 (yet)
And as has been stated earlier, HP is telling owners of AMD based computers not to install XP SP3. I have installed SP3 on 2 intel based HPs so far, with no problems. My Toshiba laptop did have problems getting it downloaded, but once it did everything went fine.

Whenever it says "Requires Windows XP or better" .... I install linux :)

Ok seriously.. I work at a university and have to use windows XP at work. The university is recommending BLOCKING SP3 until it gets fixed.... not sure if that means repaired or neutered, but regardless...

Problems have occurred on LOTS of machines here. We are primarily a Dell campus and AMD powered machines are rare. They are NOt the only ones affected. And while I may be a linux weenie, I'm not a windows basher (I use it every day) but my advice based on what I'm seeing is to hold off for a while.

I am in CIT department and have been a technical product support analyst here for 7 years. Just so you know I'm not talking through my hat.

have a good one

Most trade pubs think XP SP3 far better then VISTA

I have a HP m7680n. That originally came with xp on it. I then upgraded to Vista. Then I started having problems with my SATA HD. So I restored it twice. Now it looks like my hd problems are behind me. After I restored it the 2nd time, I install sp3 and have had no problems. Hope this helps somewhat.

I read alot of the trade publications and most say XP SP3 is far better then VISTA. I have loaded SP3 on several machines at home. Dell AMD Athlon - - - helped the machine run better.

Loaded on HP nc8230 with Intel Moble processor - - - No issue.

Since this Service Pack is soo large it is a very good idea to do a full defrag after loading SP3.

Whenever it says "Requires Windows XP or better" .... I install linux :)

Ok seriously.. I work at a university and have to use windows XP at work. The university is recommending BLOCKING SP3 until it gets fixed.... not sure if that means repaired or neutered, but regardless...

Problems have occurred on LOTS of machines here. We are primarily a Dell campus and AMD powered machines are rare. They are NOt the only ones affected. And while I may be a linux weenie, I'm not a windows basher (I use it every day) but my advice based on what I'm seeing is to hold off for a while.

I am in CIT department and have been a technical product support analyst here for 7 years. Just so you know I'm not talking through my hat.

have a good one
So...specifically what kinds of problems are you seeing? Is it the same problem? Lots of different problems? Things that you can definitely say, "The cause is SP3" or problems you don't know what the reason is, so blaming it on SP3 is handy? Is it the same problem already cited that occurs on AMD machines, or something different? You may be in IT, but when someone makes the blanket statement that they are seeing lots of problems, without specifying what they are, when my own experience and that of a number of others who have posted here is that they aren't having problems, I'm skeptical.

...when someone makes the blanket statement that they are seeing lots of problems, without specifying what they are, when my own experience and that of a number of others who have posted here is that they aren't having problems, I'm skeptical.
+1
3PCs at home and 50+ PCs at work updated with SP3 in under a week. Not a single issue SP3 related...

Diogen.

I loaded Sp3 on my AMD 4600+ HTPC and had terrible problems with audio stuttering when playing back video, I took it off and everything was fine again.

But what make is your AMD 4600?

I have loaded this on my 3 AMD PCs here at the house (via Windows Update) and they are running perfect. All of mine are custom built AMDs. So strike a blow against this being simply an AMD issue.

I had a very serious audio problem, basically SP3 no longer supports HD audio. If you try to load updated audio drivers, you cannot load the MS UAA drivers, this leaves you with an unknown PC device that won't install.

Windows XP SP3 Not Even out the Door and Already in Need of Fixing? - Well, yes, when it comes to High Definition Audio - Softpedia

the fix was a registry hack to change the windows version back to sp2, load the drivers and then change the registry entry back to SP3.

WOW, no wonder Vista users are considered beta testers.

Had a buddy call tonight seeking help with his laptop after SP3 update via windows update website; guess what; it was HP, but guess what again; it was NOT AMD; it was Intel Centrino..

My HP (Compaq) nc8230

This may be the difference between a standard load from HP and a self loaded OS.

When I got my laptop, I wiped it and reloaded it fresh. I did this with my Dell desktop as well. I really don't like all the "extra's" that HP and Dell put on computers that I don't use and really just slow them down. Anyway, both the HP centrino laptop and Dell Dimension E521 SP3 upgrade went without a hitch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts