Problemss with my Astrotel C & Ku Servo Satellite Feed Horn Assembly with DSS LNBF builtin

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Johnnyfeedback

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
I have had a Astrotel C/Ku/Dss Ring and have work great for a few years.
Winter is over now and was able to Get Bev and all the stations but a day later
half the stations were gone with No signal.
Just wondering can it be my Dbs Lnb?
If so where can I find a replacement?
Seems that I cannot find a Astrotel that can just pop into where the old Lnb was
Hate to buy anther Astrotel since they cost $219
Would any of you know if the is a Dbs Lnb that I can attach to the side of my C/Ku band
feedhorn and maybe work as well as the Astrotel did...Thanks

when you say half the stations are gone ... is it like all one side of the polarity ?

if so i would try other things first before jumping to the lnbf, if you have a spare coax try that or replace coax ends ( also check lnb / scaler for something blocking signal path)

i looked at one of these feedhorns years ago and also tried to mount my own dbs lnbf beside my current scaler but was unable to reach a good level quality( as compared to a smaller stationary dish) and big dish was always my moving dish so it was impractical for me to have dbs on it.

Seems that the West Coast Locals are Gone from 2 different receivers that are hooked straight to the Lnb.But the east coast feed are still there.
I guess if it was One receiver I would say its a cable.
Could a polarity have Gone Bad?
Seemed like it was working and then was gone a day later.
The Astrotel have work great for at least 6-7 years.
I would buy another Astrotel Ring with Builtin Dbs but they are not made anymore
and Only the Astotel compleat feedhorn is only available and hate too pay the $218 for it...JF

Seems that the West Coast Locals are Gone from 2 different receivers that are hooked straight to the Lnb.But the east coast feed are still there.
I guess if it was One receiver I would say its a cable.
Could a polarity have Gone Bad?
Seemed like it was working and then was gone a day later.
The Astrotel have work great for at least 6-7 years.
I would buy another Astrotel Ring with Builtin Dbs but they are not made anymore
and Only the Astotel compleat feedhorn is only available and hate too pay the $218 for it...JF
without a picture of your feedhorn it can make troubleshooting harder. if it has a polarotor motor and you are getting only one polarity gone i'd suspect that.

Look at the top of your feedhorn, if it has the little blue box with three wires on it and it is held on by screws. Its a polarity (Servo Motor) for changing channels and it has probably gone bad and you will lose every other channel, they only last 4-8 years on average. They cost about $25-30 new.

His problem is with the DSS lnbf that's mounted in the scalar ring of the feedhorn.The polarotor has no effect on that.They used to sell those combos so you could use your bud for dish,direct or bell.
At least that's how I read his original post.

Thanks all I am from the Mid Pa. area (Poconos} never had a problem getting Dik91 and some of Dik 82 HD
Its NOT a C/Ku problem
Seems all the C band stations come in well (Think there is nothing on KU band anymore?}
Dik 129,119 and 110 comes in well
Bev 91 has been the problem
Up until last night I lost the West Coast Locals plus Fox News but had the East Coast Locals and other stuff.
Tonight I lost the East Coast Locals but got back the West Coast Locals plus Fox News.

Seems that I might have to buy a New Astrotel Feedhorn $218 with the Builyin Dbs
Nice to know that might be the problem instead of have to run outside and adjusting the 10 foot dish
with no results........JF

glad you got it corrected. the only solution i could think of was to take your current scaler off take it to a welder and have him cut the old lnbf off and weld a sleeve to the scaler and use any dbs lnbf on it ( you would have to cut the feedhorn end off.). Then drill some screw set holes into the sleeve so you could adjust it. this method might have been just as expensive, plus you would have to make adjustments to the lnbf in the sleeve.

Status
Please reply by conversation.