"(Program name) will continue after station idenfitication!" - Who misses that announcement?

ixnay

Original poster
Dec 7, 2013
USA
Here it is - the first post on SG for this radiodiscussion.com refugee, and it's a question I was planning to run last night on RD (I've been on vacation) until I discovered the plug had been pulled. Anyway...

That phrase used to scare me when I was little (I'm 52). By middle school, not so much.

By the time I reached HS in 1975, ABC had replaced WRASI with "will return in a moment" or a variant. CBS was using "(Program name) [almost indiscernible pause] will continue" or a variant. NBC's, I don't remember.

Anyway, who misses "back after station identification" on TV shows?

ixnay
(I brought my RD handle over to this site; thanks for welcoming us)

Here it is - the first post on SG for this radiodiscussion.com refugee, and it's a question I was planning to run last night on RD (I've been on vacation) until I discovered the plug had been pulled. Anyway...

That phrase used to scare me when I was little (I'm 52). By middle school, not so much.

By the time I reached HS in 1975, ABC had replaced WRASI with "will return in a moment" or a variant. CBS was using "(Program name) [almost indiscernible pause] will continue" or a variant. NBC's, I don't remember.

Anyway, who misses "back after station identification" on TV shows?

ixnay
(I brought my RD handle over to this site; thanks for welcoming us)

I miss that and I also miss the "do you know where you kids are?" I remember that on Sat nights right before Carol Burnett. I just turned 50 so we have the same time referance it seems :)

I miss the days when television had personality. Most local stations had their own jingle and they had their own voice guy who would do all the promos, sometimes instead of showing a video ad for a show that night the would show a slide while the stations announcer would read a description of that show.

"Tonight on Happy Days Richie thinks he can be cool by using one of Fonzies combs. That's tonight on happy days on hartfords channel 8, abc were still the one!"

Back 35 years ago,the late news on Saturday nite,on the local station,was a slide of the call sign and a disembodied voice reading the news.Took 10 minutes,radio with a nite lite.:D

I think they still pause for station identification during NFL games.

not that I've seen. I know our Fox station (KMSP9) does put a logo up at the top of the hour with their logo and "KMSP Fox 9 Minneapolis/St Paul"
CBS WCCO 4 I havent seen them do it during sports
NBC KARE 11 does it every hour during sports programming (where there isnt a specific top of hour break)

Radio broadcasts they do and then it gets interesting especially when you are listening to it on a small station affiliate. They usually have dead air with no ID.
Or they have the "master" station ID...When I listen to North Dakota State Football here in Minneapolis during the ID we get "Your listening to NDSU football on KFGO 790 Fargo" even though I am listening to it on 107.5 FM Faribault, MN (which is a good 250 miles from Fargo) ;)

Cannon will return after station identification.
When Cannon was on Nick at Nite´s TV Land and then on TV Land, they used to play this old station id clip, like in the original airings in the 70s.

[video=dailymotion;xndbrp]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xndbrp_cannon-station-identification_shortfilms[/video]

Station ID and EBS

Yes I remember those. I did not understand why at the time they were doing it, I was acutely aware of the channel I was watching. Then later I found out it was a FCC requirement.

Also the old Emergency Broadcast System tests. I can still hear the ringing in my ears.

Attachments

• EBS 1970's.JPG
    EBS 1970's.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 180
Growing up as a kid in New Hampshire I remember the ID from WBZ: "Westinghouse television, WBZ, Boston, Channel 4" with a full screen ID slide.

While working Master Control at KGO-TV here in San Francisco, I always liked seeing "Station ID :04" on the log. It wasn't there very often, but they'd play it occasionally instead of the normal show promo/ID. It was an animated ID with the ABC logo, a 7, and the call letters moving in from the side as the announcer said, "Serving the Bay Area on channel 7, this is KGO-TV, San Francisco."

If there was no normal break for an ID on the hour, we had to super an ID over the show or sports event. Several of the stations here in the Bay Area still do that.

Larry
SF

Yes I remember those. I did not understand why at the time they were doing it, I was acutely aware of the channel I was watching. Then later I found out it was a FCC requirement.

Also the old Emergency Broadcast System tests. I can still hear the ringing in my ears.

The TV and cable stations around here still have those tests.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)