Proof that Mosquito Noise exists

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DarrellP

I Think, therefore, I am.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 6, 2003
Salem, OR
I was watching HDN last night and they showed a clip from EquatorHD and there was (almost) ZERO mosquito noise and it was one of the aerial clips from an "Over" show. Then last night Sahara was playing on 2 channels at the same time and when I switched back and forth between them, one of the channels was bigtime mosquito noise and the other was more like film grain, which it probably was since this was an old black & white movie. If I remember correctly, 106 was the cleaner channel and 103 was the noisey one.

You know, DarrellP, if I sit too close to my TV I can spot mosquito noise on almost any channel. But from my normal viewing distance it doesn't bother me that much.
It is more noticeable on EquatorHD perhaps because the images have so much detail and are not static. I guess, I am glad that I don't have a 9.16 Ft screen, where a mosquito would be the size of a bird! :D

Ilya said:
You know, DarrellP, if I sit too close to my TV I can spot mosquito noise on almost any channel. But from my normal viewing distance it doesn't bother me that much.
It is more noticeable on EquatorHD perhaps because the images have so much detail and are not static. I guess, I am glad that I don't have a 9.16 Ft screen, where a mosquito would be the size of a bird! :D

That's what I've been saying to DarrellP from time to time. His screen is just too big for regular HD material when watched from a normal watching distance. My guess is that 1920p would be just right for his screen size from 10-12 feet. Of course, he insists that E* looks awesome compared to V* but not everybody agrees. ;)

andrzej said:
That's what I've been saying to DarrellP from time to time. His screen is just too big for regular HD material when watched from a normal watching distance. My guess is that 1920p would be just right for his screen size from 10-12 feet. Of course, he insists that E* looks awesome compared to V* but not everybody agrees. ;)
I invite anyone over to watch Voom on my screen and you too, will see the noise but will not see it on Dish. I am not imagining this, it is real. ;) There is a problem with Voom's compression algorithm's or something.

You know, I just got an email from a Dish compression engineer yesterday asking me to evaluate the HD channels since he did some tweaking. I was happy to report to him that the Dish HD channels look superb while Voom's are not so hot. :eek:

I wish Voom was this responsive to complaints. It wouldn't take that much to make Voom be the true HD leader. I will gripe about the PQ until they make it the way it should be. :yes

DarrellP said:
I will gripe about the PQ until they make it the way it should be. :yes

I feel the same way and, like DarrellP, we want to the best for VOOM and the customer. I notice that some channels are better than others and it is not always the material. I really believe that not all the bandwith is the same. I can't prove it but it looks that way. I can prove that the OTA digitals look different between VOOM receiver and my separate OTA Samsung tuner. Remember it is a separate module in the Motorola that decodes the HD OTA digital. It is definitely inferior on the same digital channel. I can switch back and forth and see the difference.

But I will still stick with VOOM and enjoy what I got. Quantity of HD, even if it is not the best, is better than just a few HD of superior. May not make sense to some but it does to me.

gutter said:
I feel the same way and, like DarrellP, we want to the best for VOOM and the customer. I notice that some channels are better than others and it is not always the material. I really believe that not all the bandwith is the same. I can't prove it but it looks that way. I can prove that the OTA digitals look different between VOOM receiver and my separate OTA Samsung tuner. Remember it is a separate module in the Motorola that decodes the HD OTA digital. It is definitely inferior on the same digital channel. I can switch back and forth and see the difference.
Thank you for stating this, gutter, I thought I was hallucinating. My OTA HD channels look better from my old dinosaur Dish 6000 than the Voom stb. Maybe the mosquito noise is just an inherent fault of this box? I see noise on my locals with the Moto box that is not there on my 6000.

But the noise is much worse on the sat channels, so there is a seperate issue going on there.

I hope it is because of the Box i am getting Voom soon and would hate to hear Mosquito noise on my 106 Inch Drapprey Screen. :D

SonicRob, mosquito noise is not a sound you hear but flickers or jitters you see.

We even notice it sometimes on our small HD screen. DarrellP has made a believer out of me that it's a serious problem. If we ever hear him rave about Voom's fantastic PQ on his 9 footer, we will know that Voom's PQ has become truly outstanding. And I am sure he will be the first one to tell us. :D

But will we live so long? :confused:

Voom

WOW Voom needs to do something about that it does seem like Voom could do more to solve the problem but it seems like they don't care we will see if it gets better i am getting voom in December. :D

SonicRob, I hate to damper your enthusiasm about Voom, so let your eyes be the judge. These channels have the noise the worst and it varies between programming: UltraHD, GalleryHD, EquatorHD and AuctionHD. With a 106" screen, you should easily be able to see the noise. Tune in EquatorHD anytime they show an "Over" show, like Over Italy, Over France, etc. The noise will be everywhere. On other channels, the noise is in fine detail, like blades of grass or gravel on a road. I don't think the casual viewer will even notice it, but it drives me crazy.

DarrellP said:
I invite anyone over to watch Voom on my screen and you too, will see the noise but will not see it on Dish.
I can confirm that, since I've visited Darrell. Now in my 42" plasma display, I only see it on Equator-HD.

DarrellP Dump The LCD Proj. And Get A Nice NEW Infocus DLP 4805, 5700, 7200 or 7205
Then Life Will Be Great & You Will Stop Complaining

wbuffetta said:
DarrellP Dump The LCD Proj. And Get A Nice NEW Infocus DLP 4805, 5700, 7200 or 7205
Just curious . . . are you saying the Infocus is the way to go because it shows a less detailed picture so he won't see the mosquito noise, or are you suggesting his tv somehow creates mosquito noise on Voom but not Dish? :confused:

Equator really does seem to have a nasty Mosquito Noise issue. I see it on both my 30" direct view TV and my 106" front projector.

wbuffetta said:

Projector Search Results

InFocus ScreenPlay 4805 $ 1,499 854x480
InFocus ScreenPlay 5700 $ 3,999 1024x576
InFocus Screenplay 7200 $ 6,999 1280x720
InFocus ScreenPlay 7205 $ 8,999 1280x720

Dude, his LCD Sanyo is 1368x768 native res.
His Sanyo is pretty close to my Sony VW11-HT,also 1368x768 native,which is better res. then these four Infocus,so maybe your right with worse resolution you might miss out on what he sees.

OTA from 4 DMAs looks the same on my VOOM receiver as it does on my built-in Mits receiver as it does on my built-in Sony receiver as it did on the Samsung SIR-Tsomething-or-other I test drove over the summer. I still think there are quality control issues (shoddy installs/shoddy equipment) affecting a significant number of customers.

Having said that...the Mosquito Noise problem just won't go away. Perhaps VOOM should consider airing Cutter and Off commercials.

robertjp said:
The bigger question is do you see misquito noise on just 1 channel or all on voom?
All of Voom, but it is most prevelant on the following channels:
EquatorHD
GalleryHD
UltraHD
AuctionHD

I've also noticed that my OTA HD channels have more noise on my Voom stb than on my Dish stb, so maybe it's partly the box to blame? :confused:

I agree with Darrell. I have a JVC 48" rear projection and was using DVI when I had Voom. I saw the same thing as Darrell is reporting. And it drove me nuts too. Maybe it doesn't affect some people or maybe some people just can't see it. But it was pretty bad on my setup.

Bob

Another observation: I was getting caught up on some shows I had on my hard drive recorder and watching CSI recorded OTA via S-Video from my Dish 6000 then switching to a Rush recording from Voom was a night and day difference. CSI was artifact and noise free and was as good as a commercial DVD :yes while the Rush show totally sucked. :no I ended up deleting it and not even bothering to watch it. The show in question was BOING about bungee jumping.

This is a totally different experience than I've had with MonstersHD, they normally turn out pretty solid. Also RaveHD gives great results. I never bother recording anything from Cinema10 since I can get most of those movies on HDNET and they look much better there.

I am going to try swapping around the 2 stb's I have and see if I get different results on my pj. I noticed that the stb I have in my Family room always has a 3 day guide, while the one in my HT rarely goes out more than about 30 hours, it's very frustrating since that is the box I use for all of my recordings.

I'll post the results, but I won't be able to do it until Monday sometime, I have recordings going from 2 pm to 12 am today. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)