The Deal From Dish for Voomers Not That Great

myerardi

Original poster
May 21, 2004
I just spoke with a csr at Dish who basically offered what anyone can get online. They do offer a discounted rate for the first 6 months, but they charge $149 activation fee, whereas online its $49. The whole encounter left me with a bad taste. Dish is not offering anything special to voomers.In fact I was unsure that I want their HD package for $15 per month.When you think about what Voom offered, D*, E*, and cable come up short. I'm just an average guy who enjoys HDTV, certainly not an expert, but many moons will pass before we see the likes of any HD service that comes close to Voom. While I'm venting, it just never made sense why more HDTV owners did not buy into Voom, not did i understand why so many so called experts in the field seemed to go out of their way to pan Voom. There, I feel better!! Living with Adelphia, going back to D*. :mad:

are you a new Dish Sub or a returning one? No free installation? $19.99 for 3 months on 180? Free HD pack with VOOM for 6 months? This was what was in the release. If they charge an intall fee and then credit it back I could accept that.

VOOMers Deal

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER settle with what they offer you. You have the ability to bargin, as you have more power then you actually realize. I, too, was hit with the $49.99 install and $100 "extra" dish fee. After relentless persistency on my part and an understanding CRS, my $100 "extra" dish fee was waived. I paid the $49.99, received a $49.99 credit on my first bill (they bill you for two months on the first bill), and will receive 2 811 receivers, 2 mounted dish, VOOM + HD channels for 14.99 per month and the 60 channels. I could have taken the 180 channel package, but i do not needs 180 channels. :)

kcribb1 said:
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER settle with what they offer you. You have the ability to bargin, as you have more power then you actually realize. I, too, was hit with the $49.99 install and $100 "extra" dish fee. After relentless persistency on my part and an understanding CRS, my $100 "extra" dish fee was waived. :)

How did you get them to waive the $100 dish fee? What did you say?

gutter said:
How did you get them to waive the $100 dish fee? What did you say?

I concur. Not a great offer.

I had a similar experience here, but I knew that some of my locals were on the 61.5 dish (as per the Dish website) and that I was eligible for a free upgrade. After checking the CSR waived the $100 fee. Installation would be $49.99, credited back on the first bill.

I was offered the Everything Pack plus HD (not DVR I think) for $58.99 first 3 months, $91.99 months 4-6, $101.98 for months 7-12. A top 120 package with HD Pack and HBO/Showtime would be $75.96 for the first 6 months, $85.95 for months 7-12, this including a DVR fee.

When I asked about an HD-DVR the CSR tried to sell me a 921 for $549 (!), and I had to ask about an 942 ("but that is only for two rooms" - duh!). The lease option is $249, with no guarantees of a free upgrade when they move to MPEG4.

I'll probably do it in the end to get my Voom channels back, but with cable (including an HD-DVR) installed with $64/month for everything they offer there is no sense of urgency.

CDH.

Again I still dont' understand that the releases said $19.99 for the first 3 months of the 180 and HD pack free for 6 months. How do you get $58.99 for first 3 months?

gutter said:
are you a new Dish Sub or a returning one? No free installation? $19.99 for 3 months on 180? Free HD pack with VOOM for 6 months? This was what was in the release. If they charge an intall fee and then credit it back I could accept that.

I call and the csr at E* and was told since I still had the local chanels I would have to call C S and talk to them :mad: . To me it's starting to sound like D*'s $200.00 rebate is where I'll go :shocked . I would go cable but charter is the only one here and they don't offer no HD chanels for us :confused: even though they come out of Boone NC where they have HD.

I was quoted 19.99 for three months, dicounted, not free HD pack. I was told that the $149.00 installation fee was because I wanted the 942. However if you order on line the installation fee for the 942 is $49.00. of course you still have to pay the $249 for the 942. My entire point, that may have not been clear was that the extra $100 was to pay for the discounted package. They may fool many people with this slight of hand. They ain't giv'in you NOTHING!!

Damn, I called after midnight and they tried to sell me with a 450 fee to sart with everything....I told her what part of my body to kiss then hung up.

truggy0 said:
Damn, I called after midnight and they tried to sell me with a 450 fee to sart with everything....I told her what part of my body to kiss then hung up.

Frankly, most people will rather kiss that part of your body than that fugly head of yours...yack!

gutter said:
Again I still dont' understand that the releases said $19.99 for the first 3 months of the 180 and HD pack free for 6 months. How do you get $58.99 for first 3 months?

Hi gutter,

The "Everything" pack includes all premiums on top of everything in the 180 package. There is normally a $34 difference between the 180 pack and the Everything pack, so I guess the $58.99 comes from the $19.99 plus $34 plus a $5 rental fee for the box (or perhaps for the Voom channels?).

In any case, the $58.99/month isn't bad, but to pay $101.98 for fewer channels than I get now with Voom seems to me a bit steep (probably all those sports channels that I'd never watch).

I'm wondering if I could sign up for the $58.99 deal then downgrade to the 120 pack plus HBO/Show (as those are the only ones in HD) after 3 months.

CDH.

Damn, thats funny man. I love your Avitar..Its great!!!!lmfao
Im on the phone again with dish, shes going to see if she can wave the extra dish fee.

She came back on and said that since I was saving so much money monthly she coudnt wave the extra dish fee..I told her that it was waved for other people and I knew it has and I want it waved for me..Im on hold again..

CDH "fewer channels than I get now "
really, i didn't know voom had 180 channels + multiple hbo, cinemax, showtime and the like.wow and all off 13 transponders too- right
CDH yu are getting way more channels with dish, just a few less hd channels

wow, that is not the impression I got.

I am a current Dish and Voom customer so I don't get any promotions, and it will cost me 100 dollars to install at 61.5, of course I could do it my self, and it would cost nothing. The monthly fee is 10 dollars for the HD package plus 5 dollars for Voom.

As I understand it for non-existing customers installation is free. I am quite surprised that you are being charged an activation fee. That never happened to me when I went with dish. If you get the 811 instead of the 942, you will save out of pocket costs from going with a 942 or even a 921, plus you will see what is offered when they finally go with mpeg4. The basic mpeg4 box they are talking about coming down is the 411.

I am just a little surprised

madisondish said:
CDH "fewer channels than I get now "
really, i didn't know voom had 180 channels + multiple hbo, cinemax, showtime and the like.wow and all off 13 transponders too- right
CDH yu are getting way more channels with dish, just a few less hd channels

What a nice tone in your post! (See, I can be sarcastic too.)

You're right I meant fewer HD as I hardly watch the SD channels. And as posted above I have almost no interest in sports (though I did like the HD soccer on WorldSport). And yes, I did get all the HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Starz, TMC, and Encore channels on Voom for $89.99/month.

The only reason I'd sign up for the 120 vs. the minimum 60 SD programming would be for the Sirius feeds. I'd take 3 months of the 180 package if it was going to be the same as the 60 or 120 (which it appears to be from the offer). I anticipate that most of my TV watching will be local OTA HD, the Voom channels, DHD, and HBO/Showtime, in that order.

CDH.

CDH said:
Hi gutter,

The "Everything" pack includes all premiums on top of everything in the 180 package. There is normally a $34 difference between the 180 pack and the Everything pack, so I guess the $58.99 comes from the $19.99 plus $34 plus a $5 rental fee for the box (or perhaps for the Voom channels?).

In any case, the $58.99/month isn't bad, but to pay $101.98 for fewer channels than I get now with Voom seems to me a bit steep (probably all those sports channels that I'd never watch).

I'm wondering if I could sign up for the $58.99 deal then downgrade to the 120 pack plus HBO/Show (as those are the only ones in HD) after 3 months.

CDH.
Yes you can downgrade. Thsi is what I got. I thought the CSR was very clear and it did agree with most of what I read and also what they published.

. I just called and before she could read me her script I read her the key paragraph from the Friday News Release. She said that was correct. Of course I wanted a few changes. This is what I got.

America's 180 for $19.99 for 3 months
All HD programming including VOOM for free for the first 6 months.
I wanted the 942 so the $250 fee was charged( I can't complain...if VOOM had continued to exist and made that offer I would have grabbed that too)
Since 942 is a one reciver for 2 TV's (that all I needed) no mirroring fees Waived $5.
Yes $100 for the 61.5 DISH as my locals are not on 61.5 and I even said I would committ for 2 years if they waived it. They would not.
However $5 back for the monthly lease of the DVR. (again I consider a deal)

AFter the 3 months the American Top 180 ( if I continued) would be the regular price of $52.99 ( will downgrade at the time)

after the 6 months the HD free, will be charged at $14.99 HD pack plus VOOM.

Install is set for May 10th.

I will probably put my 4DTV reciver up on EBAY and even maybe my SIR165 if it works out. But will wait a few months to wear.

So for me it is a deal I was prepared to make with VOOM had they stayed around. Also If I wanted the straight HD receiver and HD DVD they would have given me that free but their would have been a $5 mirror fee per month.

Ok I am hooked up...
2 Free dvr's
Second Dish is Free
I got the start up fee waved due to club number
I got the activation fee waved too
hooked up in 3 rooms
Plus I got the 180 sd for 19.95 for 3 months
free hd pack for six months
No start up fee.........Be persistant...It works...
I got everything I wanted with no upfront cost.....

truggy0 said:
Ok I am hooked up...
Second Dish is Free

No start up fee.........Be persistant...It works...
I got everything I wanted with no upfront cost.....

Are your locals at 61.5? If so, that is the reason they would be free.

Not sure, but I did get 2 dishes....FREE,.
They said I hd to have to recieve hd channels

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts