Where are all the VOOMERS Going?

you know if charles dolan was smart, he'd sell the 61.5 transponder lots on condition dishnet carries his hd channels, this way dishnet can migrate everyone to their system this way. it has happened in the past where there were some international channels on the regular fta kuband receivers they were also on dishnet when they shutdown on the fta kuband they told every user to go to dishnet dishnet even gave them a deal on the receiver/system as well to migrate. so if charles was smart he'd put a condition like that when he sells the birds, since he ain't going bankcrupt just liquidating he still has some choice or say on what to do.

I am going with free hd ota only. I started cutting the cord last Monday when I cancelled VaVaVoom and I have not missed it. I was intending on cancelling Voom in a month or so, but that is a moot point now. I am also not counting on the Voom receiver for ota--I'll get my own, an LG 4200A.
I am going to get my tv viewing back into perspective and not pay anybody for providing me with hd programming.

I am in Phoenix and will be going back to Cox Communications after a 5 year hiatus. Makes me sick that I have to resort going back to them. Directv want's $299 for their tuner, and I have heard bad things about Dish.

When Sprint Broadband bought SpeedChoice, I had high hopes for their tv and internet service, but they shutdown fairly quickly.

I still have the Dish Hd pack, it's my only option other than D* and unless they get rid of HD Lite, I sure as hell ain't going there.

hummm, gave em a look see. Guess the other one Star-something doesnt have an HDpkg? Still gonna book mark the link for future refrence

I kept my D* and its HD pack during my short but sweet experience with VoOm. I had planned to retain D* anyway because of the Sunday Ticket not because of me but my wife.

Hopefully, D* will get something from the Voom package but if E* picks it up.....I am jumping ship. The only place I won't go is cable. Never ever will.

Frankly all I ever wanted was HD programming. Whatever satellite provider that can give the most channels.....I am there.

Indy said:
I decided when Voom goes dark, I will stare at a blank screen and do nothing to replace the artistry of Vooms HD delivery with a cheap inferior imitation. Why add insult to the legacy of memories Voom leaves us? When someone steps up to the plate with the same or better vision Chuck shared with us then I will take a look at what they offer. Until then screw it.

This is kind of like driving Mercedes or Lexus all your life to find that the only thing you can now replace it with is a Ford Aspire. Not gonna happen here in my house.

that about Sums it up... I've told my wife that We are going to OTA HD (if we can keep the VOOM STB) and save the 67.00 per month, of course Baseball season has started (Go Marlins!!) so that might fly for about 1 month. I honestly don't know. Crawling back to sd E* sticks in my craw but I still have all my antennas and gear. (hmm p1r8ting basic cable might work.....)

We'll see.....

time warner nyc...ugh

Well, with such limited choices out there for HD, I've decided to go with Time Warner NYC as the lesser of all evils. It's month to month with leased equipment so the upfront costs are lower then the satellites, and if someone comes out with something better with more HD channels, I'll switch, but until then I'll be in a holding pattern with TW.

Here's their deal:

One time deposit: $25.00
Installation Fee: $9.95

Monthly Digital SD TV: $55.95
Monthly HD Content and HD DVR: $8.95
Monthly HBO and Showtime HD: $14.45

Total Monthly without taxes: 79.35

Their current HD content is:

Ch. 701 HBO*
Ch. 702 CBS
Ch. 703 Showtime*
Ch. 704 NBC
Ch. 705 Fox
Ch. 706 Discovery HD Theater
Ch. 707 ABC
Ch. 710 TNT HD
Ch. 713 PBS
ESPN HD
INHD
INHD2
HDNet Movies
HDNet

http://www2.twcnyc.com/index2.cfm?c=hdeftv/hdtv

And after a year of Voom I'm sad to see it go, because as we all know the other options for HD sucks, but I think this is the best deal because of the lower out of pocket expense and the month to month contract. Basically it's the lowest risk until directTV, D*,E*, or even Verizon Optical fiber offers more HD content worth investing in.

bookwalk said:
WIll this be available only in large-market areas, or cities or? What about the rural areas? Where is your source for this?

It's in limited markets. I'm in Carrollton, TX (Dallas suburb) and they've just finished pulling the fiber. They're opening with the Internet service first. The rep I spoke to last weekend said they're still signing contracts on the "cable" service, but it should be available sometime this year. In the meantime, I'm going with Comcast. I own a couple of E* boxes, but after having the best it would be hard to go back. AND, with cable, I don't have to commit to a contract period. That will let me sit back and see who else steps up to the plate...

sbh

I think I am going to try Comcast in Chicago; they have a pretty sweet deal going on now;
Basically, you get EVERYTHING they offer, including HD, digital cable, and everything else for 55.67 a month for the next 12 months; its actually 89.50, but you get 4 months free, so it averages out to that..Plus, they will REDUCE the cost of my High Speed Internet by 15.00 per month, so all things considered, its a hard deal to beat...
Can't decide if I should wait until the 30th to see what happens, or just get it done now...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)