Where are all the VOOMERS Going?

teknic said:
I am going to digital cable,
is dish or directv better?

IMO Digital Cable is better than either E* or D*. If I decide to go with any other provider after V* goes dark, it will be with Cox Cable here in Phoenix.

I already have D* with HD pack, so I will just use the VOOM box for an OTA box if they don't decide to collect them. D* will eventually have a lot of HD but when I first got my HDTV I had 1 full time HD OTA and 1 HD on D*, so I am not that impatient now that I have 28 OTA in my area and and 7 on D*.

I am watching these types of threads on the different forums very closely. HD is not offered on cable in my area. I prefer a minimal equipment investment, but obviously quality is important too. It would be so much easier if there weren't so many people saying both D* and E* are awful. :D

The bright side is that we can drop our basic cable, since the only reason I had it was for Fox Sports Net. I can probably also sell our upgraded Series 2 Tivo to help pay for equipment charges, since we'll be getting a new PVR regardless who we go with.

I'm sure someone out there is gathering the data - how long till someone posts a big 'comparison' message? :)

teknic said:
I am going to digital cable,
is dish or directv better?
I got Cox Cable and was grandfathered into D* so I only have NFL Ticket & the HD pack. I get a pretty decent line-up. Just need the VOOM movie channels and World Sport now.

i think my experiment with satellite is over. I am returning to cable and their limited amount of HD channels. At least, they have all the locals in HD. The DVR solution works great. I will miss Voom, but plan to keep it until the lights go out. I expect them to take back their satellite on the roof.

staying with my D* HD built in my set, I am in a rural area and Charter won't even consider serving the road i live on and my Co-Op phone companies digital TV service doesn't offer HD yet and they said thats at least a year away. So just D* HD and my 14 OTA HD stations I receive.

I changed over to COX cable today. Got the HD DVR and MLB package. I have had D* and E* in the past and IMHO they are both pathetic. D* wants $999 for HD DVR so you can use it on their whopping 7 or 8 HD channels? LOLOLOLOLOLOL. And their announcement of 1500 HD channels coming to D*? LOLOLOLOLOLOL

E* is a little better equipment wise. They are like $399 for the HD DVR but again why spend that amount of money to record their whole 7 or 8 HD's? Not to mention that E* equipment is loaded with bugs.

I have a grand total of 10 HD's with COX. But the HD DVR only costs me $5 smackers a month. If a new/better DVR is released I can bring it back to COX and exchange it for new equipment free of charge.

I paid for my VOOM boxes and will NEVER purchase another cable/sat box again. Once you buy it, it is yours but when the new toy comes out you are back busting the wallet out again.

Where am I going? Nowhere. The HDTV shuts down when the Voom signal ends. We might watch a few SD DVDs we have, but we will never go back to renting DVDs in a big way after seeing the Voom world of HDTV.

We will give it time... Somebody is bound to come out with a high-quality commercial-free HDTV service again. Or maybe HD programming will be streamed from the Internet.

But no D* or E* or cable for us. And no OTA because we cannot get OTA here.

I figure that Ergen played a role in the demise of Doom. HAd he reached an agreement with C. Dolan we may have been reading a very different announcement. I will NOT be going back to E*, besides $10 extra per month for about 4 HD channels. The AT60 package has 23 shopping and "public service" channels. I am not going to pay D*'s exorbitant prices for 3 HD boxes. It will be OTA or Comca$t for me.

I'll go back to Comcrap myself. Not much HD but they have the locals wich I can not get in my neck of the woods (Literally). The only hole in my tree coverage was open to the 61.5 slot. So unless someone use R1 for a better HD package, I am back to the coax
Even my wife is bummed about that whole thing. It took her over a month to accept the fact that I dropped cable but the Voom exclusive won her over, especially Monster and Galery.

I guess that since Comcast outbidded Cablevision on the Adelphia deal, my chances of getting the Voom21 are pretty slims...

I decided when Voom goes dark, I will stare at a blank screen and do nothing to replace the artistry of Vooms HD delivery with a cheap inferior imitation. Why add insult to the legacy of memories Voom leaves us? When someone steps up to the plate with the same or better vision Chuck shared with us then I will take a look at what they offer. Until then screw it.

This is kind of like driving Mercedes or Lexus all your life to find that the only thing you can now replace it with is a Ford Aspire. Not gonna happen here in my house. My Sony G70 will be showing more DVD's through my HTPC and OTA with my Unity Motion STB. Thanks for the memories Chuck!

Im leaning towards time warner....sadly none of the carriers come close to offering what voom offered.

comcast not paying directv 600 for a hd receiver nor am i paying them 1000 dollars for a hd dvr. and the sad thing is the nba playoffs start soon on tnthd and neither one has tnthd.

cfkillers said:
comcast not paying directv 600 for a hd receiver nor am i paying them 1000 dollars for a hd dvr. and the sad thing is the nba playoffs start soon on tnthd and neither one has tnthd.
Exactly why I opted to give comcast a try. Plus in a few months or however long it takes, DTV is planning to move to mpeg4 according to rumors and if they do that DTV will expect you to just shell out more money for a newer box since they never lease. I think its pretty much garunteed they wont be offering any sort of free upgrades of older units. If you go with DTVHD now you could get stuck with a box that will be usless once they upgrade and I personally just dont have the money to just toss out 1K here and another K in 6 months. Be diffrent if DTV offered a trade up program but in all the yrs been with em I don't recall them ever offering one. Best deal I ever got was a DTV/Tivo unit where I was able to split the payments for unit over several months and they wont do that with thier HDDVR only thier plain HD unit.

Charter Cable has a HD-DVR/receiver unit for $7/month on a lease, so I'll be sticking with them for the time being for basic cable + HD ($3 more) with their whopping three local HD channels (FOX, NBC and ABC), ESPN HD, Discovery HD and those two other HD channel things all the cable companies seem to carry. No Universal HD or TNT HD. I'll keep Dish for standard definition stuff beyond the Charter basic plan and their SD-DVR. I'll use NetFlix for movies and upconvert them with my Sony HDMI-out DVD player.

I went on a business trip right after receiving that great letter from VOOM about the expanded channels and the "refer a friend" offer. Then I get back from the trip ready to call up and get Va Va Voom and WHAMMO-BAMMO no more VOOM at the end of the month.

This is really a big time bummer.

I really thought Charles had the gonads to put everything together and keep VOOM going through at least the first part of next year.

I looks as though he caved in and settled for selling the "VOOM21" as a programming package option to any service provider who will sign up for it.

The trouble is Dish and Direct, as of this moment, really don't have the bandwidth to add more much HD programming. After they get more birds configured and MPEG4 receiver are available, sure, more HD content will come, but nothing substantial likely until sometime in 2006.

As much as I hate cable (from years of crummy service with Comcast), I think that cable providers will likely offer the most HD content (admittedly, still paltry) with a leasable HD-DVR for at least the rest of 2005. I'm not about to buy a 942 that's not MPEG4 upgradable, especially with Dish's buggy history with the old 921.

Again, these are sad, sad days for HD content lovers.

Sigh.....

Well what about the new Verizon service, which is due to rollout across the U.S.? I think its called FIOS TV, along with their new internet service, FIOS Internet. Its based on Verizon running the fiber optic line directly into your home, which is supposed to give them more bandwidth and capacity over their lines than Comcast. I read somewhere that they will be offering somewhere around 40 HD channels, but I would take that with a grain of salt, since I can't remember where I saw that. Maybe Verizon will be the new leader in HD, who knows...

HDVoomer said:
Well what about the new Verizon service, which is due to rollout across the U.S.? I think its called FIOS TV, along with their new internet service, FIOS Internet. Its based on Verizon running the fiber optic line directly into your home, which is supposed to give them more bandwidth and capacity over their lines than Comcast. I read somewhere that they will be offering somewhere around 40 HD channels, but I would take that with a grain of salt, since I can't remember where I saw that. Maybe Verizon will be the new leader in HD, who knows...

WIll this be available only in large-market areas, or cities or? What about the rural areas? Where is your source for this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)