Prosat P-3500V Info

Status
Please reply by conversation.

letongue

Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Req. Any Prosat P-3500V Information.

Hi everyone, today I found an old satellite receiver Prosat P-3500V in my garage. In consequence, I found out about this exciting new world of FTA. I am a newbie and still doing my research about FTA'ing. I was wondering if I could use this receiver for FTA along with a 30"+ dish and a KU band LNBF (?still dont know what is a LNBF?) Do I need to do any special software or upgrade? Thanks in advance for your time and any input.

Last edited:
In addition to my initial post, I was searching through craigs list and was wondering if this satellite dish will work for FTA? Dont know if this will work after I read a previous post that said "DirecTV uses a Circular Signal, FTA uses a Linear signal." Thanks in advance again.

Seems like it was sold in Europe:

Prosat P-3500V - Dokumentation Project by ILG Software & BFM Internet-Vertriebs GmbH

Just browsing through the details, it is a digital DVB receiver, so it can be used to pick up most FTA channels discussed here. It does NOT appear to have blind scan, and considering that it was manufactured in 1999, no blind scan would be a given. You would have to input the transponders manually and then do an "auto scan", or manually enter everything. Does support DiSEqC 1.2, so it should move a DiSEqC H-H motor. Does NOT seem to support USALS (and probably doesn't given its age) for motor movement.

The LNB is the "eye", as many people describe it, that catches the satellite signal bounced from the surface of the dish. The assembly that receives the signal from the dish is a combination of a feedhorn (the part that looks like a funnel, it catches and directs the microwave signals into the LNB) and LNB (or Low Noise Block amplifier/down converter). An LNBF is the same as an LNB, except that the feedhorn (F) is built-in instead of being a separate part. The LNB (or LNBF) converts the high frequency microwave signals down to frequencies that can be sent down coaxial cable and handled by the receiver.

Thanks a ton for the info and fta education Tron. I really appreciate your help.

I was browsing through craigs list and found this satellite dish. I was wonder if this dish will work for fta? Since I am a newbie I want to start out simple and the cheapest and see if I can get it to work and upgrade from then on. Tron, if you have time, I was wondering if you have any links to inexpensive way to start fta. Thanks again for your great help.

I think I was able to answer my own question in regards to the linked directv satellite dish. "All FTA channels are available on satellites with much weaker signal than DSS. The minimum size dish required is 30". Also, FTA and DBS / DSS satellites require different type of LNBs." I guess FTA uses Linear LNB and Directv and Dish uses Circular LNB. Any link to beginner equipment? Thanks again

letoungue, there are links to dealers that help sponsor these forums at the top of the page. I have dealt with SatAv and Sadoun with great results, both have everything to outfit beginner to advanced user. It sounds like your receiver may be usable, but is pretty limited in functionality.

You can get started with a 30" minimum dish, a Ku LNBF ("Standard" LO = 10750), a DVB receiver and some coax cables to connect it all.

Receivers that I have seen recommended:

Fortec Mercury II (now called "Dynamic")
Traxis 3500
Coolsat 4000, 5000, 6000, 6100
Visionsat IV-200 (has PVR capability)

All of these receivers are standard definition only, but you can watch the signals on a standard definition or HDTV. To be able to view HD FTA signals you will need a HD receiver....but you don't need that to get started, there's tons of stuff you can watch in SD.

Old Primestar dishes work great and can usually be had for free, they take some adaptation to motorize, but adding a motor (to any dish) can always come later, a fixed dish is just fine to get you started.

Read the FAQ section and the Equipment Reviews for info on the units I have mentioned, use the search function, ask questions. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

I can't find the Free PBS stations on 119 0r 129

question for linuxman

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)