Protection Plan

Status
Please reply by conversation.

magnumis

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Midwest
What is the cost to get DIRECTV equipment repaired during the 2 year contract if you do no purchase the protection plan?

What is the cost to get DIRECTV equipment repaired during the 2 year contract if you do no purchase the protection plan?
Usually you don't get it repaired, you send it back and they send out a replacement.
Actually, they would send a replacement and then you would send it back.
They may want to send a tech out to verify, if they do that, he'll likely change it out then.

Service call use to be like $49, but that may not be accurate anymore, its been awhile.

We've never had a protection plan in our over a decade with DirecTV, and since our receivers have been leased (except the first few years of time), we've never had issues in getting them replaced for any more than the cost of shipping.

Further, if you think through what receivers you upgrade to ahead of time and stick with them for at least four years, DirecTV offers them for almost nothing to upgrade.

In all honesty, I've never had a reason to buy into such plans. DirecTV's system is completely biased towards long-time customers which allows for what I've just described -- at least until that ever changes.

For example, we're presently out of contract since getting our HR44 two years ago. Not much has practically changed since then, but yet I'd have a decent negotiating position being out of contract and thereby free of paying damages if we switched to something else.

In my opinion, I wouldn't pay anything extra for that situation :)

Reactions: clintkirk
Yes, if you don't have the protection plan a receiver is replaced for just the cost of shipping ($20)

Based on that - not sure how buying it makes sense it's $8 a month right? No one should have that much in shipping and I agree - once u are out of contract I'm sure a new contract commitment would get u all the latest equipment - with Dish and local cable plenty of competition to get that deal

If you have a large number of DirecTv boxes it might make sense...

For the upgrade it makes sense. Genie is $299 without a discount. So 24 months of $7.99 is $191.76. So you still will save $107. 24.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app
But what it the cost of the Genie to actually purchase ?
299. is generally the lease cost.

The only reason I can see I would buy a recvr is if it's one I don't use often and want to turn it on and off when needed .... then again, after the initial cost, it's what $7 p/m

Problem is Directv is getting away from free upgrade every 2 years without the PP. I didn't believe it at first but I'm hearing more and more from customers saying they was offered the PP or $199-299 for an upgrade.

Problem is Directv is getting away from free upgrade every 2 years without the PP. I didn't believe it at first but I'm hearing more and more from customers saying they was offered the PP or $199-299 for an upgrade.
After all the push to promote it, they are gonna do away with it ?
Really doesn't surprise me, but it sucks if you were planning to use it.

After all the push to promote it, they are gonna do away with it ?
Really doesn't surprise me, but it sucks if you were planning to use it.

Kinda confused here, the "free upgrade" is still available IF you have the PP. If you don't have it they're making people pay to upgrade.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)