PS3 2.42 System Software Update

?Sa?dma???

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
The 2.42 update is available on the website but when i try to download it I get
a message that says " unable to establish a connection." My connection is
working fine on my computer. Anyone else have this problem?

ya....... i waited a couple hours and tried it again and it downloaded fine.......
dunno ......... didn't make any changes at all in my set up

Had problems on Tuesday night trying to download it. A couple of other forums seemed to point out that the west coast servers were the ones having a problem. Tried it again last night and it went through like a breeze, although it wasn't much of an update.

OK...now I'm really concerned. Since I've loaded 2.41, I noticed that the blu-ray disks that I've rented don't play. The PS3 will lock up and I have to turn it on/off to bring it back. The strange thing is that the disks that I'd purchased worked fine.
I had a friend come to the house and I rented Vantage Point for him to watch and the disk locked up the PS3. I tried everything. I tried rebooting it and then putting the disk in. I tried rebooting it with the disk already in it. After about 10 tries, it played for me.
I couldn't find too much infomation on the internet about this problem and was pleased when I saw 2.42 yesterday. After downloading the upgrade the problem is worse. Not only am I unable play any rented blu-ray disks, my purchased disks lock up the PS3.
I am beside myself in anger right now and am begging for anyone with any information on this to let me know what is going on.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem start after the 2.4.1 update. I have since sent the unit back to Sony. My unit would stop recognizing any blu-ray media (games or movies). It seemed fine with regular DVD's though. If a blu-ray disc was recognized, the video of the game or movie would eventually freeze after a couple of minutes of playing. The sound would still go, but the video was frozen. The unit would still respond to commands and I could get out of the frozen movie/game.

I have a 40GB unit I bought last November. One bit of good news, after they send the unit back to me, I get a new one year warranty.

Last edited:
It's all good now. I went to a web site for help.

Re: Possible 2.42 Fix - Specifically For lockup issues - PLAYSTATION®3 Updates - PlayStation.com Forums
I followed the instructions that he listed and now everything works like a champ!

My only issue with this whole problem was with the huge amount of PS3 fanboys who refused to acknowledge that this fault had even taken place. They would state that I must have been experiencing a prior hardware problem that must have coincidentally happened when I loaded up 2.41.
A couple even accused me of being an Xbox fanboy trying to sabotage the PS3's reputation.
I was happy to find at least one reasonable person to help me out. :up

Glad that worked out well for you. Now I know where to go if it happens to me.

Right after the 2.42 update, Drake's Fortune, which I went back to playing a few weeks ago, started acting really buggy... For example, I'd turn a corner, and the sceneries would just start disappearing around Drake and at other times it would freeze and camera angles would go haywire. I had to get killed and restart at the checkpoint for it to go back to normal.

Then last night I was required to download a 13MB update (patch?). I didn't seem to have any problems the rest of the night, so hopefully it's all fixed.

Right after the 2.42 update, Drake's Fortune, which I went back to playing a few weeks ago, started acting really buggy... For example, I'd turn a corner, and the sceneries would just start disappearing around Drake and at other times it would freeze and camera angles would go haywire. I had to get killed and restart at the checkpoint for it to go back to normal.

Then last night I was required to download a 13MB update (patch?). I didn't seem to have any problems the rest of the night, so hopefully it's all fixed.
That was an update for Trophies. Basically all the medals and stuff from the game are converted to the trophies system, but you need to start a whole new game and re-earn all of them.

That was an update for Trophies. Basically all the medals and stuff from the game are converted to the trophies system, but you need to start a whole new game and re-earn all of them.

Bummer... I worked so hard for those rewards too.

At any rate, looks like the bigger issues with the 2.42 update related to BD playback (as bark22 mentioned) are starting to be more widely acknowledged, except by Sony, of course:

PS3 News: PS3 Firmware 2.42 Causing Problems

Bummer... I worked so hard for those rewards too.

At any rate, looks like the bigger issues with the 2.42 update related to BD playback (as bark22 mentioned) are starting to be more widely acknowledged, except by Sony, of course:

PS3 News: PS3 Firmware 2.42 Causing Problems

Doesn't look like a big issue, looking at the post in the thread you provided the majority of people say they haven't had any problems and I haven't with the two PS3's that I own.

Doesn't look like a big issue, looking at the post in the thread you provided the majority of people say they haven't had any problems and I haven't with the two PS3's that I own.

Probably like the 2.40 bricking issue, only a handful of people are having the problem, though in this case, the problems aren't serious enough for Sony to pull the update.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)