PS3 Component out is junk!

teamerickson

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2006
El Dorado Hills, CA
Don't take my word for it, take consumer reports.

"Less satisfying was the PS3's less than optimal HD picture quality when connected using its component-video output, which produced images that lacked the detail and clarity we've seen with other high-definition DVD players connected using their component-video output. That's not much of a concern if your TV has an HDMI input, but if your TV is more than a year or two old, it might not have it. In that case, you'd have to use the component-video for high-def content, and you'd be stuck with middling HD picture quality."

Don't take my word for it, take consumer reports.

"Less satisfying was the PS3's less than optimal HD picture quality when connected using its component-video output, which produced images that lacked the detail and clarity we've seen with other high-definition DVD players connected using their component-video output. That's not much of a concern if your TV has an HDMI input, but if your TV is more than a year or two old, it might not have it. In that case, you'd have to use the component-video for high-def content, and you'd be stuck with middling HD picture quality."
I use component for my PS3 (HDMI is taken up by the 622), and the picture for blu-ray movies is beautiful, better than OTA HD.
Perhaps they had a less than optimal movie?

Just another example of Consumer Reports "high" standards. Like when they rated speakers using an old man with hearing problems and a teenager. The last 30 years seem to have been a steady decline for them.

Last edited:
I agree with navychop on this one. Consumer Reports, long ago a source of good information, will whore themselves out to the highest bidder; they have zero credibility and nothing useful can be gleaned by reading thier incredible consumer garbage reports.

Don Imus says, "Consumer Reports is a nappy-headed ho.":rolleyes:

Attachments

• Nappy Headed Hoe.JPG
    Nappy Headed Hoe.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 289
I have used both the componet out and a HDMI to DVI cable on my Pioneer and the picture looks pretty good. My guess is that they did not have the BD video settings set correctly for FILM (Must be set to Automatic) and they did not use the correct video output for componet (setting can be for componet or HDMI or WideBand Video). On top of that they probably did no setup on the HDTV itself to maximize PQ. They just plugged it in and away they went -- this is how they test most product.

All the quote says is that the component out on the PS3 is substandard compared to other HD players. I like how most people are saying that consumer reports doesn't no how to review products. I'm sure they use the same reviewers for electronics as they do for cars. :D

Their car survey is good. Reviews, not so. Car maintenance report is statistical, based on surveys of membership, and is a good guide.

CR sucks when it comes to electronics and especially HD product reviews. They can not hold a candle to the worse of the home theater magazines. When they offer information in their review that is culled among users then they are quite accurate -- otherwise their info is wasting trees. Also, their long term reviews are done well. I just do not like their lack of expertise when it comes to HT products. Did they meantion that they calibrated the screen before using the HDTV or the PS3? If they did not do that how in the world can you even suggest that their info might be accurate?

Electronics has always been their weakness. That weakness has spread to other areas. I remember when I was in college, way back when rocks were soft, they "reviewed" an amp and gave it highest marks, best buy, etc. We all died laughing because it was well known to expire shortly after the warranty did!

Did they meantion that they calibrated the screen before using the HDTV or the PS3? If they did not do that how in the world can you even suggest that their info might be accurate?
It doesn't matter if they calibrated it. Like you said they take it right out of the box. If they do that for one player they do it for all, and in there opinion the component out for the PS3 is the worst of all the HD players. It must be hard to hear bad news from the one resource MOST consumers look to.

Okay, I have sat idly by for now, erickson please provide a link to a reputable site. If its some site where anyone can come in and write reviews I will not believe it, I am sorry but thats stupid....if this is how facts are given about this subject and we are going to go back to our school yard days and start tossing rocks, thats just not right. Also just because someone says it dosent mean its true...here My friend says this all the time (and this is sad cause he runs a game shop) "There is no difference between the 360's graphics and the regular xbox graphics" -A consumer said this and man I cant believe that, 360 owners should cower in fear because of the graphics problem on the 360.

I used both the HDMI and component on the PS3 and they were very close. Since a 211 is taking the HDMI on the office TV, the 3 is using component.