Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Yes I am getting one, but waiting.

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • I am Getting older hardware at discounted rate

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • no I dont want one/fine with old ps3/dont want ps3

Votes: 30 60.0%

• Total voters
I don't think that's possible. Isn't that a hardware issue?

I don't have a system equipped for those codecs so neither apply to me. Does this mean that for titles with those audio formats PS3 owners get to eat sh*t and get bad sound?

It will just get downconverted to what you have.

I don't think that's possible. Isn't that a hardware issue?

I don't have a system equipped for those codecs so neither apply to me. Does this mean that for titles with those audio formats PS3 owners get to eat sh*t and get bad sound?

the old ps3 decodes them and sends them out via pcm, with bitstream it just sends it out and lets the sound system do the decoding, meaning I see my lights light up :) really there is no difference between the bitstream and pcm, as long as your reciever can handle it. and yes it is a hardware issue as the old HDMI port couldnt handle it.

So really it just burns the early adopter audio/videophiles who would have already purchased a PS3 at a higher price to enjoy the early days of Blu-Ray...

I think it's funny the same day they reiterate that BC is never coming back to PS3, some of their new advertising stuff leaks with the tagline 'IT DOES EVERYTHING'

So really it just burns the early adopter audio/videophiles who would have already purchased a PS3 at a higher price to enjoy the early days of Blu-Ray...

I think it's funny the same day they reiterate that BC is never coming back to PS3, some of their new advertising stuff leaks with the tagline 'IT DOES EVERYTHING'

No, we still get the better sound, just in a different way. The PS3 does the "work" instead of the receiver.

I guess I just don't get all of the fervor around BC.

I agree it should be in there, and I use mine occasionally, but really - don't most people who have a bunch of PS2 games laying around, um, have a PS2 to play them on?

If you don't want to play PS3 games and/or Blu-Ray's, why buy a PS3 at all?

I understand, in a perfect world, you'd have one device to do it all, but I'd wager a bunch of us have a PS3 and a Wii, or a 360 and a Wii, or an HD-DVD Player and a BD player, or had a VHS player and a DVD player at some point.... you get the idea - it happens.

I agree it should be in there, and I use mine occasionally, but really - don't most people who have a bunch of PS2 games laying around, um, have a PS2 to play them on?

If you don't want to play PS3 games and/or Blu-Ray's, why buy a PS3 at all?

I understand, in a perfect world, you'd have one device to do it all, but I'd wager a bunch of us have a PS3 and a Wii, or a 360 and a Wii, or an HD-DVD Player and a BD player, or had a VHS player and a DVD player at some point.... you get the idea - it happens.
True, but given that:

A: All past PSes have had good BC
B: Every other system has it (Wii basically perfect, 360 Hit or miss sometimes)
C: We only have so many input ports on our televisions
D: Considering the huge price tag and lack of PS3 games for a good +12 months

I don't think it's THAT unreasonable that people are pissed off that Sony dropped the ball off of the empire state building as it related to BC.

If I had a several-years-old PS2, I wouldn't really like the idea of having to buy another one to sit next to my PS3 should that fail. I'd think there'd be a lot of parents in a similar situation... their kids have a PS2 and a bunch of games, so they can hit reset and get a PS3 on which none of those games (and accessories) will work, or they're forced to instead buy a new PS2.

To date, I think inFamous is the only game that's been more fun than God of War 2 which I played for the first time ever earlier this year. I've got a handful of RPGs, which the PS3 has a severe lack of this generation (lol, 'FF13' was a reason to buy a PS3... how many years ago? and now it's not even exclusive), all for PS2 waiting for me to jump into as well.

The PS2 is probably going to be the most popular traditional console (the Wii is more a toy) I'll see in my lifetime, so brushing aside the ability to play that library on a new generation of machines just feels very anti-consumer and very easy to dislike.

Personally I don't either but if I played many games I guess I would want it. I personally am thinking about getting rid of my 60GB PS3 in favor of a standalone player now that the prices have come down.

True, but given that:

A: All past PSes have had good BC
B: Every other system has it (Wii basically perfect, 360 Hit or miss sometimes)
C: We only have so many input ports on our televisions
D: Considering the huge price tag and lack of PS3 games for a good +12 months

I don't think it's THAT unreasonable that people are pissed off that Sony dropped the ball off of the empire state building as it related to BC.

I guess if I didn't have a PS3 yet, it would be a bigger deal to me. It definitely was an issue early on when there weren't that many games, but the early PS3's did have BC, at least partially for that reason.

As I've had mine, though, the amount of time I spend playing PS2 games has gone down to almost nothing. I do see your point about the kids, though - they're about the only ones that play mine, and there aren't that many good kids games for the PS3.

(BTW, I don't consider the ability to re-buy games from the Wii VC store backwards compatibility - Nintendo has really never been concerned with that until now, when they can make money on it.)

Anyway, I do agree that it should be there, it's just not that big of a deal to me anymore, but I guess if I was just now getting around to getting one and still had a big library of PS2 games it would be...

He meant that it plays all GameCube games, out of the box.
Exactly. That makes it quite good for playing last-gen games as many games were multi-platform and had GC versions available. And it has EVERYTHING compatible (ok except for the GBA connectivity) so you could hook up Wavebird controllers and memory cards and they'd work without a hitch.

Exactly. That makes it quite good for playing last-gen games as many games were multi-platform and had GC versions available. And it has EVERYTHING compatible (ok except for the GBA connectivity) so you could hook up Wavebird controllers and memory cards and they'd work without a hitch.
Which GBA connectivity? I know the Gameboy Player was incompatible, but you could still connect a GBA for a game that had GBA functions (Zelda Windwalker, Pokemon Colosseum, etc...)

Yesterday I saw PS3 slim for the 1st time in a local Best Buy store... they were selling it for $299 and there were at least 8 people in line, holding PS3 slim, waiting to pay.

Frys electronic locally has a ton of them, I don't see any lines or people going crazy over this. Just another normal shopping day at Frys

Hmm bitstreaming. I could see that fancy little light finally come on, on my Denon 3808ci. That would be cool. Maybe I'll buy a slim and give my parents my 80GB...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts