PTAT Bugs, Problems, Dislikes ...

Did it ever start working for you?

For everyone else that sent me a PM and it is still not working (or not disabling, etc), would you please send me another PM?

No. My only successful PTAT recording was on 3/27. MikeJH from DIRT PM'd me this afternoon asking for my receiver numbers which I gave him. He also asked if my Hoppers were connected to broadband. Both of them are directly connected to broadband through ethernet. After I gave him the information he told me they are looking into the issue.

No. My only successful PTAT recording was on 3/27. MikeJH from DIRT PM'd me this afternoon asking for my receiver numbers which I gave him. He also asked if my Hoppers were connected to broadband. Both of them are directly connected to broadband through ethernet. After I gave him the information he told me they are looking into the issue.

Are you still showing no signal on the sat/trans that has your local HD programming? *edit* I saw that they are in your last post.

Are you still showing no signal on the sat/trans that has your local HD programming? *edit* I saw that they are in your last post.

Correct. Point Dish transponder 3 on 61.5 shows 0 signal. However, that is impossible because all my HD locals come in and record fine. I am not having signal issues with my locals or any other channels except for a really bad thunderstorm a couple days ago. I did have my LNB replaced but I get the same result.

Also having an issue recording PTAT. Here is my setup;
2 dish setup 61.5, and 72
Going to DPP44 switch sat input 1, 61.5 sat input 2 72.
On the receiver input port 1 has power inserter, port 2 attached to solo node port 1, and port 3 attached to solo node port 2.
Just 1 Hopper, and 1 Joey attached no splitter or tap installed

The issue I am having is that tuner 3 is "Losing Signal". I've tried everything to get it working, but no luck. I use to do a check switch test and it would work for awhile. Note the other 2 tuners are working properly without an issue it's just tuner 3 with the issue. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Correct. Point Dish transponder 3 on 61.5 shows 0 signal. However, that is impossible because all my HD locals come in and record fine. I am not having signal issues with my locals or any other channels except for a really bad thunderstorm a couple days ago. I did have my LNB replaced but I get the same result.

I still think it would be best to have someone come out

For anyone that is having the same problem listed above, please send me a PM and include the following information:

-Phone/account number
-What happens when you try to view something in PTAT
-Please verify that you receive HD locals
-Satellite setup (orbitals that you currently receive can be found in menu-settings-diagnostics-system info, or in the point dish screen)
-When you first enabled PTAT (must be enabled at least 20 minutes prior to events starting in order to work the first day)
-Software version

Also, please make a public post in this thread

MattG@ DISH NETWORK said:
I still think it would be best to have someone come out

I agree. It's not going to be possible for me with tax season for another couple weeks. If a software update doesn't get it working by then I will ask you to schedule an appointment for me.

just curious, weak spotbeams will take quite a while to 'show' signal on the point screen. i am on the edge of a spotbeam and the signal that delivers my locals takes at least 30 seconds to show a signal at all. are you giving it enough time?

sca said:
just curious, weak spotbeams will take quite a while to 'show' signal on the point screen. i am on the edge of a spotbeam and the signal that delivers my locals takes at least 30 seconds to show a signal at all. are you giving it enough time?

I will try waiting longer today.

Edit: I waited several minutes and transponder 3 never showed a signal. One thing I did notice is when I go to transponder 7 it switches the word transponder to spotbeam after a second. My SD PBS and CW come off of transponder 3 spotbeam 7. Spotbeam 7 shows a signal of 43.

My HD locals come off transponder 3 spotbeam 10 so I decided to check 10 to see what happens. 10 never switches from transponder to spotbeam but I do get a signal of 42 on 10.

One more thing. 15 is another number that switches from transponder to spotbeam after I select it. 15 shows a signal of 83 which is by far my strongest signal but I don't think I get anything from 15. Detroit's locals are also from spotbeam 10 on 61.5 and I don't think there are any other DMAs that I am close enough to so I don't know what 15 is.

Last edited:
Sorry is this has been discussed already, I just couldn't read through all 17 pages of this. My one issue with PTAT is the sensory overload when opening it up to view shows. I would love the ability to hide shows that I'm never gonna watch and only see the ones I care about. However, through this forum, did I see a workaround that by setting a separate series timer it won't interrupt anything recording wise but it will move all recordings of that series (from PTAT) to the main DVR list? As if I told PTAT to always save those recordings? Thanks for listening.

However, through this forum, did I see a workaround that by setting a separate series timer it won't interrupt anything recording wise but it will move all recordings of that series (from PTAT) to the main DVR list? As if I told PTAT to always save those recordings? Thanks for listening.

Yes, anything for which you have set a timer will be in the "My Recordings" section. If it's a PTAT recording as well, it will appear in both places, and will NOT use up an extra timer.

I've been using this feature - User timers for PTAT shows so the auto-save to the user partition - but I found a bug/oversight: The PTAT-sourced show doesn't go into the folder that the user timer is set to save in. Although it's not exactly the user timer that's actually firing, I think it's reasonable to expect that timer's options to be heeded.

Since PTAT works so well on many Hoppers and they are just computers with the same chips and software, isn't it likely that PTAT needs a good spot beam feed, therefore most problems wll be found somewhere in aiming, the LNB, and the connection hardware?

I'm not referring to complaints about how it works as currently designed.

s207 definitely didn't fix the PTAT bug that has it stuck on "enable"

Since i have two hoppers, i basically worked around this whole problem by swapping hoppers so that three tuners are free on the TV i want.

I will say that swapping hoppers was by no means any fun at all. The linked joeys had some weird issues with the migration since they were linked to the wrong hopper. Plus when i tried to restore timers via the remote, i don't think the timers restored. Ended up having to rebuild the timers manually. Luckily after a reboots of everything, the boxes actually started working ok so I can live with that loss. Now i'll just have swap the recordings with my EHD.

At least now i'm in not in any hurry anymore for a fix.....

the stuck on enable bug is evolving on it's own... lol
My problem might have even gotten worse... It's now stuck on "enable" and it somehow stopped recording on Friday night as there are no new PTAT shows in the folder beyond Thursday.

Now i'm really glad i swapped the two hopper boxes so that the problem is now on a pairing of TVs that only need to share 2 tuners. Also, it turned out to be a smart move getting 2 Hoppers instead of 1 just one (when you have at least 2 rooms). If one goes haywire, at least you'll have the other as backup.

It still might be worth looking at signal strength getting to the Hopper from the HD locals spot beam transponder.
my issue is a known and confirmed issue by Dish. Confirmed with their Advanced Tech Support and DIRT.

They said i'll have to wait for a software fix and wouldn't replace the box. (Anyone else who is having this issue or even any bug should still be reporting these as they are having trouble reproducing some of these bugs)

I'll just have to be patient....

PTAT takes days to actually enable for me. It recorded 4/18 and 4/19 then skipped 4/20. The guide is not showing the PT icon and the Daily Schedule does not show PT events either. Frustrating...

s207 definitely didn't fix the PTAT bug that has it stuck on "enable"
as an update to this, doesn't looks like anything mentioned about this in the s208 release notes either.

Ended up getting a tech out to swap out the problem PTAT box that had the tuner locked out. It was actually somehow creating problems with a second tuner on that box too. I'm just glad the tech was agreeable to the swap out. He spent a good half hour on the phone with someone in tech support at Dish, but finally realized that guy was just grasping at straws.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)