PTAT Question

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
This was answered in another thread, Im pretty sure, but just want to make sure I understand it.

1. If I just setup PTAT, the series will be in the PTAT folder and saved for 8 days, after that they are discarded automatically
  2. If there are any one of them I want to keep, I click save and it puts a copy/shortcut to it over in my normal folder.
  3. After 8 days, the version in PTAT is removed automatically, but the version I "saved" stays in my normal folder as long as I want
  4. If I set up a timer on a HD lil (big 4) along with PTAT being enabled, once the Hopper records a show with a timer it automatically will save it in the folder my timer is assigned.
  5. The timer based recordings will stay in the assigned folder as long as I want, and the PTAT version will be dumped at day 8

Just seems to good to be true a simple timer does all that in conjunction with PTAT, so I want to make sure I do understand it properly before changing my setups around.

TIA

Thanks, no biggie just curious. I successfully setup identical timers and folders on both Hoppers, one will now be a backup. Its gonna be quite convenient to have a full backup hopper when we get 6-8 weeks behind, plus the fact PTAT records even more junk just in case you miss a timer for something local you wanted to see.

Ive watched one program with autohop, and I gotta say Im warming up.

Last edited:
I "believe" it is on the allotted space.

Where have you been the last year or so.
It has reported several times that the PTAT recordings were moved to the user space when they expanded the user space.

Does the PTAT shows use DVR storage space, or do they have their own allotment?

Yes. Each Hopper has 1231GB of space allocated for your recordings out of the 1862GB total space available on the drive. Up to 231GB of the drive can be occupied by PTAT.

Note that you cannot move the PTAT recording to an EHD until it has "expired." Explicit deletes only.

If you set it with less days retained then you will "free" the recording for copy to an EHD sooner.

Can you set a timer or is it considered redundant and ignored? See next.

Is it true you can just "protect" shows in the PTAT folder so they will be "moved" to your normal recordings? Or does it require a timer? It seemed to work for me whenever I was doing that.

Now I just dodge around the single-channel single-day PTAT recordings, use timers, and immediately put them on EHDs along with other networks. I've recorded 2 dozen multi-year shows using reruns just since Feb. and I have 84% of the episode numbers. Those shows are mostly 8.0 or better on IMDb, 3 are not--about 2.5TB in 2080 episodes, so far.
Just for the nosy they are:
Bones
Breaking Bad
Castle
Community
Criminal Minds
Dexter
Elementary
Game of Thrones
Homeland
How I Met Your Mother
Mad Men
Modern Family
New Girl
Once Upon a Time
Parks and Recreation
Person of Interest
Raising Hope
Revenge
The Americans
The Big Bang Theory
The Following
The Mentalist
The Newsroom
The Office
(Now to find the time to see them. Many/most I haven't started.)

-Ken

Thanks. Rookie Blue was recorded off PTAT last night, and I set up a series timer for it on my HD lil as well. Of course this does not show in your daily schedule, because the PTAT timer is there instead, but what it did last night while recording was show Rookie Blue recording in the PTAT folder, AND show it in the folder I have setup for the timer to send it to, that my wife and I share. pretty neat.

I do have a new question. When I activated PTAT, I went into Menu, and then PTAT. Now when I do that there are no options, how do I get back to the screen where I can change days of the week, channels, etc... I must be missing a step. it seems any way I click PTAT, it just takes me to the folder with the recordings in it.

Thanks. Rookie Blue was recorded off PTAT last night, and I set up a series timer for it on my HD lil as well. Of course this does not show in your daily schedule, because the PTAT timer is there instead, but what it did last night while recording was show Rookie Blue recording in the PTAT folder, AND show it in the folder I have setup for the timer to send it to, that my wife and I share. pretty neat.

I do have a new question. When I activated PTAT, I went into Menu, and then PTAT. Now when I do that there are no options, how do I get back to the screen where I can change days of the week, channels, etc... I must be missing a step. it seems any way I click PTAT, it just takes me to the folder with the recordings in it.
Menu, settings, DVR defaults...ptat...make your selections.

Tiny short cuts from viewing: Yellow to Settings, 5 to DVR Defaults, 2 to Prime Time, Enable and select PrimeTime Setup, pick Channels and Days of Week and number of days to keep PTAT events, Done, Save, View Live TV.
-Ken

Thanks, no biggie just curious. I successfully setup identical timers and folders on both Hoppers, one will now be a backup. Its gonna be quite convenient to have a full backup hopper when we get 6-8 weeks behind, plus the fact PTAT records even more junk just in case you miss a timer for something local you wanted to see.

Ive watched one program with autohop, and I gotta say Im warming up.

PTAT comes in Handy for the Fall season, gives you the chance to test out shows without the Timer set. Plus PTAT has introduced me to some shows I dont think I would have otherwise watched

When I only had SD locals , Dish finally allowed PTAT to be used with SD. Yesterday we received HD locals. Do I have to do anything to get PTAT to now use the HD locals instead of the SD locals???

When I only had SD locals , Dish finally allowed PTAT to be used with SD. Yesterday we received HD locals. Do I have to do anything to get PTAT to now use the HD locals instead of the SD locals???

Nope.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Show me, please.

I remember reading that PTAT is now included in the users space as well. I thought it was done to combat the networks claiming it was an on demand system. I could be wrong, I will link later for verification.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts