pulling my hair out aligning dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I guess you don't get much snow on the ground in Az. :)

Can't mount dishes close to the ground here or they'd be stuck in the snow in the winter. Last 2 years I had to trudge out through 3 to 4' deep snow, and dig out my Fortec dish. Not to hard to get it free of snow to see the sats, but the problem was that it couldn't move until I dug all around it. I learned this year not to let my coaxes dangle around on the ground off the lnbf, because they got stuck in a layer of ice, and I couldn't move the dish until I got the coax out of the ice.

I guess in Az, all you have to worry about is a sand storm. :confused:

No snow in the desert. Or at least not enough to accumulate on the ground.:D

Used to be an old saying which seems to be really appropriate with this thread!!!!

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink......

OK, I guess one of the reasons I like this entire forum is ... some one making really outlandish excuses for why he "can't/wouldn't/doesn't" do as sugested, yet we are all still reading and answering.

I take my hat off to all of you.

Some "other" forums that I had been associated with would be flaming about now, and making rude and unnecessary comments.

As for snow in AZ, I have to mention, we DID have snow here a few weeks ago, as a matter of fact, inthe "cowboy" way of measuring, we had TEN INCHES of snow here in Mohave County (Northwest Arizona), we're telling Northerners. Actually, it was a measurable 10" from each snow flake where they hit the ground, 10" here, 10" there, see how that works?

Photto

Last edited:
:D:DIT IS WORKING!!!
beavisnbutthead.gif
cancan.gif
cheshire.gif
club.gif

Call me an idiot, call me stupid...
dork.gif
but this is what i did and it worked!!
nana.gif
even if i didnt follow the
rules.gif

I have learned over the years... the best way to fix a problem is to fix the easiset factors. :D
soapbox.gif

I took the co-rotor off, it has an adjustable feedhorn, and since i dont have away to set it, it is useless.
rip.gif

So i put the stock micropak on there, and then it DAWNED on me, :eek:

the feed pole, has two sections, you can move the feed in and out by loosening two bolts, so the F/D ratio is NOT set at the feedhorn, its set at the feed POLE, thereoff a adjustable feedhorn is useless in this case :(

so the brand new one i bought will be tucked away for future use :D

so then i hooked the motor back up and went to sheppards chappel, i know this wasnt the correct way, but it worked!
shades.gif

i peaked the mount there
raiseroof.gif

then i went over to cspan, and slowly moved the mount till that came in,

then i moved back to shep's and after a little moving it came in better

i went back and forth between the two untill they both came in:tux:

shep's peaked at 194, cspan peaked at 217, and the education channel peaked at 195 :cool:

for the old chaparral 25' lnbf... it works damn good! i got 4 channels with NO sparkles after some minor adjustment

i also locked on two vcII channels :D

now since it tracks perfectly, should i weld the mount to the pole??:confused:

Good Lord Tvropro you ARE old!!:D I thought it was Doug Dennert? Long time ago, maybe I'm wrong. I learned the same way, agonizingly slow but I enjoyed it, I bought those satellite books that those guys were selling, that helped me a lot to understand the theory. This stuff certainly isn't plug and play but once you understand it you can fix or setup any dish....its worth taking the time.

It's been years but there was good information on the sky store. Im glad I got my dish when I did. I got to live all the fun that was happening back then. We had all the new cable channels first. The backhauls were ITC. The bud was the ultimate for the high end home theater system. If you had a bud it was a status symbol. Now it's not the same but at least I can say I was when the bud was king! :) Digital is a different animal.

:D:DIT IS WORKING!!!
beavisnbutthead.gif
cancan.gif
cheshire.gif
club.gif

Call me an idiot, call me stupid...
dork.gif
but this is what i did and it worked!!
nana.gif
even if i didnt follow the
rules.gif

I have learned over the years... the best way to fix a problem is to fix the easiset factors. :D
soapbox.gif

I took the co-rotor off, it has an adjustable feedhorn, and since i dont have away to set it, it is useless.
rip.gif

So i put the stock micropak on there, and then it DAWNED on me, :eek:

the feed pole, has two sections, you can move the feed in and out by loosening two bolts, so the F/D ratio is NOT set at the feedhorn, its set at the feed POLE, thereoff a adjustable feedhorn is useless in this case :(

so the brand new one i bought will be tucked away for future use :D

so then i hooked the motor back up and went to sheppards chappel, i know this wasnt the correct way, but it worked!
shades.gif

i peaked the mount there
raiseroof.gif

then i went over to cspan, and slowly moved the mount till that came in,

then i moved back to shep's and after a little moving it came in better

i went back and forth between the two untill they both came in:tux:

shep's peaked at 194, cspan peaked at 217, and the education channel peaked at 195 :cool:

for the old chaparral 25' lnbf... it works damn good! i got 4 channels with NO sparkles after some minor adjustment

i also locked on two vcII channels :D

now since it tracks perfectly, should i weld the mount to the pole??:confused:

If you weld the mount to the pole you will never be able to adjust it if you need to, don't do it.

Now that its working leave it alone and go watch tv.

this dish pulls in a hell of alot better then the old one,

is a few sparkles on some channels ok?

im still watining on my ariza 700

is a few sparkles on some channels ok?

There are a lot of things to take into consideration when seeing sparkles. Usually it's a sign of signal at or below threshold. It could be the receiver has insufficent bandwidth 24 vs 27 or 36. Some stations may be transmitting at lower signal levels too.

I have a hell of a lot of gain and headroom with my 12 foot dish and yes I have seen sparkles. It's not an alignment issue or receiver issue on my end so it could be something on your end or not. I think you should call it a day and rethink about messing with it until you become better at understanding on how to align and tweek that last decibel out of it. Then when you get a handle on it take it slow with one adjustment at a time till you achieve maximum.

Then again you can watch some digital and you won't see sparkles ;)

...And PLEASE don't pull it off the pole, smash it, cut it up, and show us pictures of the carnage. :rolleyes:

OMG did he really DO that?
I guess I shouldn't have told him to peak the FD on G17, lol, forgot about the height. Hell, you can do that on 133 or some other sat thats closer to the ground if you don't have a long ladder or long arms!!

NOW, maybe he will quit !@#ing with it and watch tv. Shepherds Chapel is a good place to start today.

When installing my first dish on the ground, the pole was plumbed perfect. When I hung the motor on, it wanted to drift off of plumb. This is how I pulled it and kept it into plumb, which was also my problem of hitting the arc.
I put a muffler clamp with double nuts on the pole as high as possible. I attached two 1/2 " turnbuckes with Jam nuts onto 2 pieces of 1/2" all thread rod ,that reached below the ground. One went into a bucket of concrete on the West side of pole and one on East side, and set on a angle from pole.
It allowed me fine tune the pole to perfect plumb, regardless how heavy the motor was. The jam nut kept the turnbuckle from changing tension on pole. :)

like i said this dish is not compatible with adjustable feedhorns, the adjustment is done at the feed pole

im not too worried about pulling the last drop of db outa this, just as long 4dtv comes in good

i dont know why pissmire gives more answers then results

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)