Put service on hold, now I can't used HD-DVR to record at all?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

blueguy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
I put my DTV service on hold until September (I don't watch any cable shows and my OTA reception allows me to see The Office). I assumed that my HD-DVR would allow me to set recording options for date and time. I was wrong. And I'm super pissed.

I contacted DTV and they told me because my HD-DVR was a D model they shut off ALL the recording functions. WTF?! I paid $400 for this thing and now I can't record ANYTHING?! That doesn't make sense. I don't have any need for D's crappy programming (or 95% of the network programming either until football is on again), yet I'm supposed to pay them every month just for the ability to record one show in HD?

Is there a way around this? Can I hack my system some how?

I don't think hack talk is welcomed here, but when you say that you put your service on hold did you mean you dropped your DVR service or you put your whole account into suspension? Either way, the ability to record is part of the DVR service. What's so bad about playing by the rules?

ditto, there's a reason why alot of people still use external pvr's. no dvr fee, no restrictions. you buy a piece of hardware designed to be used for a certain service then you're restricted by the terms of that service. it's like trying to use a stand alone tivo with no tivo subscription.

Boy some people buy toys and don't know what they are buying then complain when they break them, should we feel sorry for them?

Sorry, I'm not looking to do anything illegal. I simply want to record one show VCR-like with the DVR I purchased.

Until football season starts my D* is off because it's worthless to me. I can receive the only show I'm watching OTA in HD. This has nothing to do with stealing D's signal or doing anything remotely illegal.

I don't understand D's logic that I must pay them $40 a month to record based on channel/time. I can understand if I wanted to use the Tivo functionality but I don't. No season pass; nothing off D's network; no favorites (never even touched that function as it's junk).

I guess it's asking too much that D allow me to use my DVR like a digital VCR to record a show based on time/channel.

Worst comes to worse I'll buy The Office off iTunes each week.

lostlife said:
ditto, there's a reason why alot of people still use external pvr's. no dvr fee, no restrictions. you buy a piece of hardware designed to be used for a certain service then you're restricted by the terms of that service. it's like trying to use a stand alone tivo with no tivo subscription.

Many people do this. It's not uncommon.

boba said:
Boy some people buy toys and don't know what they are buying then complain when they break them, should we feel sorry for them?

I admit I had no idea D would neuter my HD-DVR box to the point that it's nothing but an HD OTA receiver (I already have two of those). considering the price tag it seemed reasonable to assume I could use the box as the world's most expensive VCR.

And I didn't break anything.

I'm sorry I asked in here. I had no idea the response would be so negative.

I think the Dish 921 (original retail) holds the record as "world's most expensive VCR"

And I'm sorry that some of the replies to your question came off as negative. Most of us are usually more polite.

If you buy something you expect to be able to use it, no problem there. Unfortunately the fee structure of the DBS providers is such that they expect to be compensated for any actual usefulness. If you find a way to make it do something without paying, just wait a while, they'll define a new fee.

blueguy said:
I admit I had no idea D would neuter my HD-DVR box to the point that it's nothing but an HD OTA receiver (I already have two of those). considering the price tag it seemed reasonable to assume I could use the box as the world's most expensive VCR.

Alas, DirecTV views this box -- like all its other DVRs -- as a satellite receiver with added DVR functionality. OTA ability on the HD model was considered something of a bonus feature.

Unfortunately, not a lot of OTA HD choices out there, short of an even-more-expensive HTPC.

Bro, not trying to be negative, but it's a Directv Box. When buying a directv box you have to assume that you are going to have to have directv service for it to function properly. I think it's a no brainer here, you cancel (or put on hold) your service your doing the same thing to the equipment, putting it on hold until you re-start your service. I have to side with Direct on this one.

i bought a fax and have DSL, if i suspend my land line phone service i cant use them either,,,,what is your point?

minimum channel package + dvr fee. if you want dvr wait till they officially announce their family package and get some cheap tv and pay for your dvr fee.

gotcha. I'm just trying to save some *dough*. I have the hr10-250 right now and I only care for HD. but I still end up having to pay a lot cause it all comes in a package with over 100 channels I don't really care or watch! :eek:

lostlife said:
minimum channel package + dvr fee. if you want dvr wait till they officially announce their family package and get some cheap tv and pay for your dvr fee.

So, CSR AGAIN :mad: :mad: screwed me up and now my installation for the moving deal wont' happen till 3 days after I moved. So, for those 3 days my HD TIvo wont' be connected to a dish will I be able to use my DVR to record OTA or does it need to be connected to the dish to "know" that it has the DVR service? I fear I won't be able to use it to record... :mad:

Thanks. that's what I feared. :( well, I guess I'll be seeing 6 more months of free showtime for their screw up!

Hogarth said:
FGsilva:

As far as I recall, D* sends all authorizations over the dish -- so I think you'll need to wait.

H

I'm cancelling my D* service this weekend. Last night I was trying to archive some of the saved content on my HR10-250, but I realized my DVD recorder wasn't working. Will I still be able to archive it later when I get the DVD recorder fixed, or will I need D* service to play anything off of the HR10-250?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)