Question about channel issue.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Here's my thoughts, 1. You likely don't own the receivers, and a PP is a good option IMO.It doesnt just cover receivers, but also wiring and such problems to my understanding.

Had I not had the PP I wouldnt have had the 2 HD DVRs for FREE with free installation.

2nd, the boxes/receivers you received are likely not valid because the said account it was previously on is in past due, and in default. You can't blame DirecTV for that. The way I see it is, if you get a receiver from a friend or ebay or wherever for that matter, and they don't activate it, then thats not their problem, and it is the previous owners problem.

and 3rd, likely said if you are so unhappy then switch. You wont get any sympathy around here. And the BBB is a joke IMO. But thats me.

Here we go again .....

Do we REALLY need ANOTHER THREAD discussing the SAME THING ?
From the SAME person no less ?

See MY thoughts on it in the other thread.

I told the tech on the phone to go screw himself and hung up. :mad:

I agree with you that DirecTV SHOULD not charge for replacements and you SHOULD not have to pay for the protection plan in order to get free service, I think that it they should do like the cable company. However, did you research these forums BEFORE you got DirecTV? If so, then you knew about how it would be. I assume that you were aware of the contract (2 year term) when you signed up? Talking to the CSR that way, if you did (telling him to go screw himself) is no way for you to get what you want. Remember these people are not the ones that make the decision, the higher ups are, and if it is company policy it is policy and they have to abide by it. If you hate DBS so much, why do you even have it? Why not cable, or just get everything that you want to wach online and on your 4DTV/FTA system.

Well My DirecTV receiver is falling apart for good. 11 months what a track record. The unit has been pixelating on some channels for a few weeks. I was fighting with Direct about this for 3 weeks now.
why are you rehashing a current thread? Hence the reason its merged
Finally I confirmed it was their receiver.
as I told you earlier like three times. But you'd rather do a "I went with Directv to get stations my "precious" 4DTV doesnt have and I dont like it so I'm gonna bitch constantly" thread

So Directs answer was to send a tech out at $49.95 WTF :eek: You lease their equipment and find the problem and they give you this crap. I told the tech on the phone to go screw himself and hung up. The second jamoke I got on the phone wanted to charge me $19.95 to send me a replacement. I told him I'm not paying anything and I want to talk to a supervisor. Well finally the supervisor agreed to send out a referb for free.
so you said all of this yesterday and we told you why they did tell you that

Hell I went up against NPS and Dish Network and helped save our big dishes from extinction last year.
yeah I'm sure it was YOU who saved 4DTV from extintion a year earlier :rolleyes:
That would be like me saying "I helped get the Openbox to the US because I bougfht one of the 1st ones"

I guess Direct figures they got you by the balls as long as your under contract and can do whatever they want. What a dirty way of doing business. :mad:

I'll tell ya what. You cancel Directv and send me the damn cancellation bill so it can be paid and you can go away from Directv forever then we dont need to hear you whine about Directv.

wait scratch that...Since you got credits so you only pay $20 for Family, send me the receiver. I'll get more use out of it than you will and basically thats the same as paying the contract fee

OMGZ!! RLY?!??!?!

We've already been over this countless times: BBB ratings mean absolutely nothing. They can be bought for $425.

THIS BUSINESS IS NOT BBB ACCREDITED
If it were they'd have an A-

Not to mention out of 20 million subscribers they only average 14,000 complaints a year (and a fair number of those are from idiots who didn't read the contract they signed).. That's 0.05% ( not 5%, not POINT FIVE percent, but POINT OH FIVE percent - not even one tenth of one percent) of their customer base. HARDLY a significant number.

Oh and a few months ago they had an F.. So they're improving!
nana.gif

Last edited:
I'll tell ya what. You cancel Directv and send me the damn cancellation bill so it can be paid and you can go away from Directv forever then we dont need to hear you whine about Directv.

Oh come on Ice you know that won't work.. Look at Hemi 6.1, he switched to Blue Ridge Cable 6 months ago and he still comes in here bitching about things that don't concern him anymore.

I guess I beat up DirecTV too much. They are what they are. If you guys are happy with them Godspeed. Just nothing like I was use to or expected when I signed on the ...................... line.

I guess I beat up DirecTV too much. They are what they are. If you guys are happy with them Godspeed. Just nothing like I was use to or expected when I signed on the ...................... line.

Clearly you have to lower your expectations! :D

My biggest issue was not what was being said about DirecTV, but the assumption that the rest of us are total idiots regarding both DBS and TVRO services and how they work and ignoring any and all advice given in an attempt to actually HELP. Makes it seem that the entire montage was total BS and simply to rant and bitch.

Last edited:
I guess I beat up DirecTV too much.
interesting as when you got it you were happy with it and even got happier when I taught you how to "move" so you could get Milwaukee stations. Then you found out that C-Band wasnt completely going under (although one foot is in the grave) and you tune changed to "Directv sucks" when nothing had changed really
I understand folks have issues. But you seem to do this in most of your posts latelly here
-bitch you have an issue
-we try to help but you disregard our help
-throw in that 4DTV is soooo much better
-trash anything Directv related
-whine about the contract
-get in the fact that when you called the agent asked you about upgrading a receiver and you ridiculed them. Seriously they are just doing their job and upselling you.
-complain that the first line CSR's arent as "tech savvy" as you are

And then when you got credits you still whine about Directv. Dude you're getting a package for $20 right now! If you pay the contract fee or you keep it til the end you're paying THE SAME PRICE...

They are what they are. If you guys are happy with them Godspeed.
other than a receiver issue I have been happy with them. Yes I've had some quirks with them. The day after they pushed through a software update and it froze the DVR requiring a reboot and the recent slowness when the unit has been in standby for a long time. But other than that I am happy with them.

Just nothing like I was use to or expected when I signed on the ...................... line.
I guess I knew what I was expecting and know that electronics can have issues.

I'm not trying to bash you but damn if you post an issue at least listen to folks who have worked with D* for a while help you. We are here to help. But I guess folks would rather complain about it instead. There is an option...hell two of them actually. Cancel and walk away. Take the lump and move on. Or I offered to take the receiver and use it til the end of the contract. Then you dont have to worry about it being at your house

Lets get realistic, back in the day they used 35 volt rated parts on 12 volt circuits. These days they use 8 volt parts on a 12 volt circuit. This is to save money but anyone with an electronics degree will know thats not going to work for long. The old stuff was built better like the 4DTV its a fact of life.

You do recall that the 4DTV cost significantly more than the D12 that you are using, both when you bought it and also to produce. The 4DTV was well made, but it was made in Mexico just like many DirecTV receivers are. Also, I had one of the first 920 models, got it in July 1997, and at that point in time GI was suffering from some pretty significant quality issues. I later got one of the first 922 units in 2001, and they had a software bug that made them go haywire, the thing burned out my acutator arm one night when it was moving to G9 to get its update. My point is, in order for DirecTV to be able to provide the subsidies for equipment that they do to subscribers, they have to have the receivers manufactured at a reasonable price for them in order to do this. Sometimes that may mean that a higher quaility component is not used when, if cost was not a factor, it may have been.

Last edited:
You do recall that the 4DTV cost significantly more than the D12 that you are using, both when you bought it and also to produce. The 4DTV was well made, but it was made in Mexico just like many DirecTV receivers are. My point is, in order for DirecTV to be able to provide the subsidies for equipment that they do to subscribers, they have to have the receivers manufactured at a reasonable price for them in order to do this. Sometimes that may mean that a higher quaility component is not used when, if cost was not a factor, it may have been.

Designing a circuit with underrated junk parts will come back and haunt you.

While I agree with you that quality should come first, their current situation has evidently has not came back to haunt DirecTV too badly. I am sure that there are some receivers out in the field that have been out since 1994 when DTV started. Also, they are still refurbishing and repurposing H/HR20's from 2006/2007, then their is the H/HR21 series, etc... So if they can get 4 to 5 years of life out of a box I figure that they are ahead. Since they have in excess of 19,000,000 subscribers, they must be doing something right.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)