Question about channel issue.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tvropro

On Vacation
Original poster
Mar 9, 2007
Is there a way to get an intermittent channel problem issue to the engineering dept to look at? All csr tech support does is read from a script. That won't resolve either an encoder or decoder issue at NOC.

For over a week channel 300 has been pixilating and freezing intermittently. I called Direct twice on it and they just shine it on.

Is there a way to get an intermittent channel problem issue to the engineering dept to look at? All csr tech support does is read from a script. That won't resolve either an encoder or decoder issue at NOC.

For over a week channel 300 has been pixilating and freezing intermittently. I called Direct twice on it and they just shine it on.

How often is this happening ?
I just turned it on for about 5 minutes and all was good ...

It can be good for hours then act's up a lot. I did get Direct to see it last week when I was on the phone and they said they would look into it and it went away for 3 days then came back. It looks like the encoder is either bit starving the channel or the DC-2 decoder receiving the master is on its way out. NPS had issues like this alot on their reuplinks. I can't check the master on C band since its combo mode and encrypted. Unless there using the Nick too feed on C3 but thats encrypted on my 4DTV.

This problem was acting up again yesterday. Direct don't seem to care. I think I'm going to contact MTV networks and let them know of the issue. Direct has a responsibility to provide MTV networks products reliably. Thats what we pay for. Anyone have contact information for MTV Networks? Maybe Scott?

tvropro said:
This problem was acting up again yesterday. Direct don't seem to care. I think I'm going to contact MTV networks and let them know of the issue. Direct has a responsibility to provide MTV networks products reliably. Thats what we pay for. Anyone have contact information for MTV Networks? Maybe Scott?

However, you don't know yet if its a provider or supplier issue, but a call/email would be a good place to start, if you can get one to the correct people.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Thats the key getting to NOC and seeing if there is an issue. From my experience in C band (24 years) most issues with the uplinks of the distro feeds are resolved within a few hours. They are supplying all the cable companies besides Direct & Dish and have a responsibility. They usually are very good in fixing things. This is something I always liked about c band subs. You cut out the middle man. DirecTV on the other hand is no better than any cable provider. The CSR's are trained in going through what is written in a script and if that don't fix it send a service guy which still won't or can fix this issue. It's a waste of time and resources.

I have read on the net trying to talk to Direct's NOC is impossible for us. If I would have to guess the problem lies with Directs encoder. To me it appears that the stat mux is starving this channel for bits and when it requires them there are none in the pool. The freezing and blocking occurs mostly when a demand is put on it with fast moving action or scene changes. The audio also was blipping yesterday like it was loosing sync completely.

Anyone have any info on escalating this to Direct's NOC maybe through a supervisor?

have you tried Directv's technical support? They are usually better than the 1st line CSR's

Yes Ice all times were tech support. All they do is the run a receiver test, tell you to check your coax, then say we need to roll a truck. Script, you think ;)

I just asked because tech support usually dont read from a script (at least when I've talked with them)

I'll probably need to try to get a supervisor on the phone and talk to them. Because the problem is not a 24/7 thing they go there and at that point not happening so there is no problem. They need to monitor it.

Iceberg said:
I just asked because tech support usually dont read from a script (at least when I've talked with them)

I too have gotten some really good info from some deptments above the first level.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

I got my oldest to watch a few hours (like that was hard) and he didn't see anything at all. Nor did I the hour or two I watched with different timings from him. I called a few buddies to watch some as well and report anything they see; and nothing so far.

I would think it would be the receiver too but it only affects one channel. :confused: I have it on right now and its solid. Its the old saying it never acts up when your looking for it only when your not.;) Then again maybe Direct fixed it or pulled an NPS, reboot th encoder or receiver. That used to fix the NPS problems for a while.

Last edited:
I would think it would be the receiver too but it only affects one channel. :confused:

looking at a list and the package you have there is really only one channel that you get on that transponder and thats Nick West. Here is the full list for 101W TP19

• CSHP 95
    CSHP 223
    we 260
    MILT 287
    CNw 297
    NIKw 300
    FSSO 646
    FSFL 654
    FSCIN 661
    CSNC 665
    FSMW 671
    RTNW 687
    SONIC 826
    SONIC 846
    SONIC 864
    SONIC 871

I guess you could watch that shopping channel and see if it duplicates the issue there

I don't know Direct has issues, The USBBDM NT cables have issues..... The only things that are solid is the, 4DTV 922, 405 and Visionsat work great. :) Too bad direct didn't have diagnostic screens where I could look at good frame rate and see if there are any errors. Quality is solid at 96 to 97 on TR 19. Cheap Chinese junk receivers.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)