Question about channel issue.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
wiki says 14 years

4DTV technology was originally developed in 1997 by General Instrument, now the broadband division of Motorola

So that is when I gave up on my C Band, right as the previous technology was being discontinued.

I had a nice Chaparral unit at the time and a 10 ft mesh dish

I tried to be truthful and honest with them and even save them the hassle by troubleshooting this myself and thats how I'm treated. They did say they don't want the D-11 back only the card. Thats what they told me last time. Honestly what is the D-12 besides a D-11 that is black and does SWM. Is there anything else under the hood that's spectacular?

I had a nice Chaparral unit at the time and a 10 ft mesh dish

I ran a Chaparrel Monterey 50 from 1990 to 2006 then got my 4DTV. The Monty still works just needs a memory battery. That receiver was awesome. :D

I tried to be truthful and honest with them and even save them the hassle by troubleshooting this myself and thats how I'm treated.
again they read off a script in most cases. They are not use to folks like us who know what we're talking about when we call in. They're use to little old grandmas calling because they cant change channels because the batteries or dead or a blank screen and its not on. In cases like this lying works the best and easiest

Honestly what is the D-12 besides a D-11 that is black and does SWM.
you pretty much answered it yourself

again they read off a script in most cases. They are not use to folks like us who know what we're talking about when we call in. They're use to little old grandmas calling because they cant change channels because the batteries or dead or a blank screen and its not on. In cases like this lying works the best and easiest

I guess I should have told them smoke came out of it and it stopped working. I could have obliged them very easy by feeding 220 to it. :eek: ;)

I tried to be truthful and honest with them and even save them the hassle by troubleshooting this myself and thats how I'm treated. They did say they don't want the D-11 back only the card. Thats what they told me last time. Honestly what is the D-12 besides a D-11 that is black and does SWM. Is there anything else under the hood that's spectacular?

I think you nailed it as far as differences.

I ran a Chaparrel Monterey 50 from 1990 to 2006 then got my 4DTV. The Monty still works just needs a memory battery. That receiver was awesome. :D

I had the Chaparral 95 IIRC, used it till I quit the C Band stuff.
Liked it very well, but I didn't know how to name new Sats, so it got kinda confusing when you located a new Sat,back then I didn't have the internet to help out with these things, or maybe I did, but didn't know how to go about it.

Here we go again

Well My DirecTV receiver is falling apart for good. 11 months what a track record. The unit has been pixelating on some channels for a few weeks. I was fighting with Direct about this for 3 weeks now. Finally I confirmed it was their receiver. So Directs answer was to send a tech out at $49.95 WTF :eek: You lease their equipment and find the problem and they give you this crap. I told the tech on the phone to go screw himself and hung up. The second jamoke I got on the phone wanted to charge me $19.95 to send me a replacement. I told him I'm not paying anything and I want to talk to a supervisor. Well finally the supervisor agreed to send out a referb for free.

Direct better send me a good replacement or the fight has just begun. Hell I went up against NPS and Dish Network and helped save our big dishes from extinction last year. So if Direct wants a fight they won't get off Scott free when dealing with me. The supervisor also told me I should not have received a referb when I signed up it should have been new. Seems though Direct sends out referbs to many with installs. Even Iceberg got a referb so is the supervisor lieing or is DirecTV a snake. Bottom line is pizza is one headache after another I swear. The bud just keeps working and working :D Heck only had to replace brushes in my actuator in 22 years and upgrade my IRD to digital. Much better track record then Direct could ever have. Heck my LNB, feedhorn & coax on the Bud is older than the life of DirecTV as a company and still trucking along! :)

I guess Direct figures they got you by the balls as long as your under contract and can do whatever they want. What a dirty way of doing business. :mad:

Last edited:
tvropro said:
Well My DirecTV receiver is falling apart for good. 11 months what a track record. The unit has been pixelating on some channels for a few weeks. I was fighting with Direct about this for 3 weeks now. Finally I confirmed it was their receiver. So Directs answer was to send a tech out at $49.95 WTF :eek: You lease their equipment and find the problem and they give you this crap. I told the tech on the phone to go screw himself and hung up. The second jamoke I got on the phone wanted to charge me $19.95 to send me a replacement. I told him I'm not paying anything and I want to talk to a supervisor. Well finally the supervisor agreed to send out a referb for free.

Direct better send me a good replacement or the fight has just begun. Hell I went up against NPS and Dish Network and helped save our big dishes from extinction last year. So if Direct wants a fight they won't get off Scott free when dealing with me. The supervisor also told me I should not have received a referb when I signed up it should have been new. Seems though Direct sends out referbs to many with installs. Even Iceberg got a referb so is the supervisor lieing or is DirecTV a snake. Bottom line is pizza is one headache after another I swear. The bud just keeps working and working :D Heck only had to replace brushes in my actuator in 22 years and upgrade my IRD to digital. Much better track record then Direct could ever have. Heck my LNB, feedhorn & coax on the Bud is older than the life of DirecTV as a company and still trucking along! :)

I guess Direct figures they got you by the balls as long as your under contract and can do whatever they want. What a dirty way of doing business. :mad:

Both Dish & Direct use refurb boxes for "new" accounts, unless you're getting the latest hardware. For legacy boxes (SD) you get refurb kit. Interesting that they say you shouldn't, one wonders what they consider refurbed.

Interesting that they say you shouldn't, one wonders what they consider refurbed.

Refurbed is probably the boxes that don't work at all..If it lights up it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. ;)

One thing I will never understand is why Direct will not let me authorize the 11 receivers I have here that I got from people that work. It would make things so easy. With 11 receivers I'm sure to have enough to run out my contract. ;)

Last edited:
First off, it sounds like you don't have the protection plan. If you did, there would be no shipping on the replacement box. That's the $19.95 charge. Second, you clearly don't like Directv, their business plan, or their products and have been whining about it in your posts for quite a while. That's fine, you have that right, but don't expect any sympathy for your plight if you keep using it!

First off, it sounds like you don't have the protection plan.

Why do you have to buy a protection plan when they own the equipment? When I had cable before my bud if the rented (leased) box went out they would send a guy out do a swap and repair whatever all for free. What stupid people have allowed is letting companies charge you for something that should come for free as part of the service. The brainwashing continues...just like the quality of picture on so called HD.

If Direct would let me out of the contract today without ETF I would do it. Unfortunately that is not their policy and I refuse to give them ETF and get nothing in return. Like I told a CSR once when they wanted to extend my contract for another 2 years to upgrade me to a DVR. I said DirecTV is holding a gun to my head now and you want me to keep that going longer. I don't think so. But so many agree with it thats why they get away with it.

Last edited:
i don't pay for the PP. never have. the way i see it is if ever need a receiver to be swapped out i rather pay for the $19.95 of shipping since that is a lot less than the monthly payment for the PP when you pile it up. if you can do pretty much everything else like rewiring, lnb swap out or realignment of the dish than the PP is a waste of money imo.

Why do you have to buy a protection plan when they own the equipment? When I had cable before my bud if the rented (leased) box went out they would send a guy out do a swap and repair whatever all for free. What stupid people have allowed is letting companies charge you for something that should come for free as part of the service. The brainwashing continues...just like the quality of picture on so called HD.

If Direct would let me out of the contract today without ETF I would do it. Unfortunately that is not their policy and I refuse to give them ETF and get nothing in return. Like I told a CSR once when they wanted to extend my contract for another 2 years to upgrade me to a DVR. I said DirecTV is holding a gun to my head now and you want me to keep that going longer. I don't think so. But so many agree with it thats why they get away with it.

Did you sign up for Directv without knowing how the protection plan works? If so, too bad, you screwed up! Did you know about the 2 year commitment? No, too bad, you screwed up! Did you know about them beforehand? If so, why are you complaining about them now?

Did you sign up for Directv without knowing how the protection plan works? If so, too bad, you screwed up! Did you know about the 2 year commitment? No, too bad, you screwed up! Did you know about them beforehand? If so, why are you complaining about them now?

Anyone care to check their BBB rating to see if it has changed?

:D:D:D:D:D:D

BBB ratings are a joke. They have been for a while, especially on national corporations.

Better Business Bureau: The Best Ratings Money Can Buy - ABC News

The Better Business Bureau, one of the country's best known consumer watchdog groups, is being accused by business owners of running a "pay for play" scheme in which A plus ratings are awarded to those who pay membership fees, and F ratings used to punish those who don't.
To prove the point, a group of Los Angeles business owners paid $425 to the Better Business Bureau and were able to obtain an A minus grade for a non-existent company called Hamas, named after the Middle Eastern terror group.
"Right now, this rating system is really unworthy of consumer trust or confidence," said Connecticut attorney general Richard Blumenthal in an interview to be broadcast as part of an ABC News investigation airing tonight on 20/20.
In an official demand letter sent to the national headquarters of the Better Business Bureau Thursday, Blumenthal called on the BBB to stop using its grading system, which he said was "potentially harmful and misleading" to consumers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)