Question about coax connections to my DVR 625 box ??

BarnRat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 30, 2021
SW USA
First off, we're having a Hopper 3 and Joey 3 installed in a few days so no jokes please. :)

This is just out of curiosity . . . The coax that comes from the rooftop dish goes into a "1-to-3 splitter" and three coax cables come out and are attached to three different coax ports on the back of the DVR 625 box. What are the three connections?

Reactions: charlesrshell
two go to the sat inputs and the other IIRC was for an OTA antenna. So they could put a diplexer outside and combine the antenna and satellite into one coax

does it look like this?
s-l1600.jpg

two go to the sat inputs and the other IIRC was for an OTA antenna. So they could put a diplexer outside and combine the antenna and satellite into one coax

does it look like this?
As far as I can tell, yes it does. I didn't see any writing on it but it may have been upside down. Thank you! :thumbup

Why two sat inputs?

does it look like this?
I was able to get behind the box (a little tough where the box sits) with a flashlight and mirror and sure enough -- it looks exactly like that, when I turned it over. Duh. :redface

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, yes it does. I didn't see any writing on it but it may have been upside down. Thank you! :thumbup

Why two sat inputs?
The 625 has 2 satellite tuners and until the Hopper you either needed 2 lines from the dish to the receiver or a DishProPlus LNB on the dish and the separator (or in this case the triplexer)
My dad had a 625 until last year when he finally upgraded to the Hopper

Hopper uses a different setup. Only needs one line to the receiver and no splinter

The 625 has 2 satellite tuners and until the Hopper you either needed 2 lines from the dish to the receiver or a DishProPlus LNB on the dish and the separator (or in this case the triplexer)
My dad had a 625 until last year when he finally upgraded to the Hopper

Hopper uses a different setup. Only needs one line to the receiver and no splinter
Thank you! :thumbup

I was wondering about that triplexer. Unless my memory is completely shot, a 625 does not have an OTA tuner. I guess it was to feed a TV? Or the tech was out of diplexers.

I was wondering about that triplexer. Unless my memory is completely shot, a 625 does not have an OTA tuner. I guess it was to feed a TV? Or the tech was out of diplexers.
The 3rd port also shows CH 21-69 so probably for TV2 output?
I guess the OP can see where it runs on his 625
But I guess you could use it to run antenna to a TV because the 625 is SD only so no OTA tuner

The third port is the input for TV 2 out of the receiver. The Triplexor multiplexes the signal with a Diplexer between the Dish, the Receiver and the TV2 allowing signal to pass in both directions on one cable. Signal in from the Dish passes through the Diplexer to the receiver, into the Triplexer where it "splits" into two inputs. One for each tuner. The Third port receives signal back out from the Home Distribution output on the receiver, sending signal back to the Diplexor over the same cable, then the the TV2.

s-l640.png

Where the OTA channels come in is so you can use the same setup with and OTA Antenna on any dual tuner receiver other than a Hopper

Dish connected to the SAT Input on a Diplexer, OTA to the UHF/VHF port, cable to the receiver from the In/Out port. At the receiver, the third port connects to the OTA Input. On a single tuner receiver, like a 211 or Wally - Hoppers wan't work) there's a Diplexor at the receiver. Sat to the input on the receiver. UHF/VHF to the OTA Input and the In/Out connected the cable coming from the first Diplexer.

Both applications can be used by running a cable directly from the TV2 out of the Receiver directly to the TV2, leaving the Antenna Port available for an OTA Antenna

One DVR 625, the newer install (2013), has the triplexer with all 3 coaxs connected.

The second DVR 625, the older install (2009), only uses a diplexer.

Each DVR 625 is connected to one TV.

Anyhow, they will be replaced by a Hopper 3 and a Joey 3 in four days. Thanks to all for answering my questions about this old hardware. :thumbup :clapping:bow

One DVR 625, the newer install (2013), has the triplexer with all 3 coaxs connected.

The second DVR 625, the older install (2009), only uses a diplexer.

Each DVR 625 is connected to one TV.

Anyhow, they will be replaced by a Hopper 3 and a Joey 3 in four days. Thanks to all for answering my questions about this old hardware. :thumbup :clapping:bow
No problem, man! I enjoy going back into the vault and trying to recall all that older technology - which IMO worked so much better.

No problem, man! I enjoy going back into the vault and trying to recall all that older technology - which IMO worked so much better.
They have been trouble free all these years. I've had to replace remotes several times. Towards the end I had to buy remotes from Amazon or eBay -- Dish would no longer replace them. :)

I softened this change for my wife when I told her she could leave her DVR 625 attached to her TV. She has lots of stuff recorded over the years that she can still watch.

I don't think that will work, you can't have a Hopper and ViP on the same account and I don't think the 625 will work for long disconnected from the data stream. I'll defer to others on using the 625 disconnected from the dish...it's been so long I don't remember for certain.

I don't think that will work, you can't have a Hopper and ViP on the same account and I don't think the 625 will work for long disconnected from the data stream. I'll defer to others on using the 625 disconnected from the dish...it's been so long I don't remember for certain.
I tried it yesterday. It seemed to work fine. I disconnected the coax that runs to her DVR 625 and was able to watch recorded stuff. The DVR 625s (both) will no longer be on my account. Dish will have no knowledge of the DVR 625 box -- there is no connection.

But you may be right about this: "I don't think the 625 will work for long disconnected from the data stream."

There would have to be some timer in the DVR 625 software that cuts it off after a certain amount of time with no satellite connection ????

She will when she sees it. She'll never want to go back. It's like going from an Audio System, back to TV speakers - which are also analogue
I'm sure you're right.

We've had pretty nice large flat-screen LED TVs for quite a few years now, and they have been great with Blu-Rays, Apple TV and streaming (HBO Max, Netflix, Amazon Prime) but now they will be fully utilized with the Dish HD channels.