Question about coax connections to my DVR 625 box ??

Do you have an OTA antenna that hooks up to your 625s? If so, there will be a bit of a work-a-round to get that signal to you Hopper. The diplexer/triplexer configuration doesn't work with Hopper technology.
Are they foisting a Hopper Plus upon you?
If they try, I would recommend you decline it and just go for the straight Hopper 3 without the Plus.

Do you have an OTA antenna that hooks up to your 625s? If so, there will be a bit of a work-a-round to get that signal to you Hopper. The diplexer/triplexer configuration doesn't work with Hopper technology.

If they try, I would recommend you decline it and just go for the straight Hopper 3 without the Plus.
No OTA antenna. The install is scheduled for Wednesday, a Hopper 3 and Joey 3. I don't think they are bringing a Hopper 3 Plus??? I've always got the local stations thru Dish @ $12/month.

I will call Dish and make sure.

Last edited:
So
Rabbit ears work pretty good if you aren't too far from TV stations. OTA is nice to have during severe thunderstorms if you lose sat signal. You can get tornadoe warnings, etc with local channels.
I've tried rabbit ears, inside the house, but I've only been able to get one of the 4-5 local stations, no matter where I put the ears -- even next to the window. :(

It's like going from an Audio System, back to TV speakers - which are also analogue
I have yet to meet audio speakers that area anything other than analog. I saw a design for a digital speaker (really gnarly voice coil), but never actually heard one.

Reactions: charlesrshell
No OTA antenna. The install is scheduled for Wednesday, a Hopper 3 and Joey 3. I don't think they are bringing a Hopper 3 Plus??? I've always got the local stations thru Dish @ $12/month.

I will call Dish and make sure.
You don't have to call Dish. Just tell the tech you don't want a Plus if it's one the work order and he'll get it modified

I think a lot of it is just wanting to make sure the workorder is accurate so the tech has the correct equipment and can complete the install in one trip.
Yes, that was my intent when I asked the question. Maybe it was one too many questions, but I have no idea what is entailed with adding/removing the "Plus" function. :sorry

Maybe best if he leaves the Plus with you, unconnected. Then if they ever getting it working right, and I think they will, you can connect it then. Easy.

Or let him hook up the Plus etc and then disconnect it after he leaves.
Good advice navychop. That would be the better way. Would give him a chance to try it out. Might like it.

My recollection on that dpp triplexer is that they didn't start producing and shipping that with rx's until the HD-DVR models like 722. The 522/625 originally came with a diplexer (same as above but without the antenna signal port. Worked the same way, split the single coax from dpp (dish pro plus) lnb on the dish to go to both of the tuner inputs on the rx.

The triplexer was evidently added later by dealer, but it works just like the diplexer as far as the dish signals are concerned. Before they started with that you could still accomplish diplexing offair signals along with sat signals on the single coax, it's just that you had to provide a signal combiner outside and a signal separator inside to put in the coax line before the (older) diplexer. Most never did do offair with those triplexers and thus never used that third port.

I'm certain they went to that along with their "locals" crisis where they had to turn off a lot of their cx's distant network locals.

I think a lot of it is just wanting to make sure the workorder is accurate so the tech has the correct equipment and can complete the install in one trip.
That's the other thing. Customers act like the ONLY thing we carry on our vans are the required receiver for just THEIR work order. I laugh all the time when I have to Modify and the customer asks if I have the equipment to do today.

Typically my van has 6 ea Hopper 3's and 2's, 1 2000, 10 Joey 2's and 3's, 8 Wireless Joeys, a 211, a 722, 4 Wallys and 4 Duos and 4ea of Joey 4 and Wireless Joey 4's not to mention all the WAP's Hughesnet and Viasat modems and Trias and 10 ea of Eastern and Western Hybrids, 3 ea of each arc DPP and 2 Int'l. LNB's. Then there are the Dish kits, masts, poles, other mounts, and gear like RF modulators, flat cables, tools... Plus the SHS stuff we sell. Mounts, Polks Systems, Google/Nest stuff....

Trust me, techs show up ready for anything

My recollection on that dpp triplexer is that they didn't start producing and shipping that with rx's until the HD-DVR models like 722. The 522/625 originally came with a diplexer (same as above but without the antenna signal port. Worked the same way, split the single coax from dpp (dish pro plus) lnb on the dish to go to both of the tuner inputs on the rx.
That's a Separator, not a Diplexer

1734_1.jpg

I'm certain they went to that along with their "locals" crisis where they had to turn off a lot of their cx's distant network locals.
Pretty sure they actually go back to when locals were provided by a wired antenna that connected to the top of the old 500 Dishes so that signal form both that and the Dish could be fed to the Receiver