Question about Directv installation procedure

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Shazapp

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Cleveland, OH
On Thursday, I had my DirecTV HD dish and receiver installed. Having been unsatisfied with cable, I figured I'd made the right choice by going with DirecTV.

I live in an apartment building and had gotten permission from my landlord to get the dish installed, which included permission to have a hole drilled for my dish's cable to enter the apartment.

When the installer arrived, he came to my door with no equipment and said he wanted to "scout the location" first before bringing anything up. After going out on my balcony, he announced that I might have to go buy a bucket, fill it with cement and put a pole in it to mount the Ka Ku dish because it was too big to mount on my balcony railing. He then said that he'd have talk to his supervisor who was downstairs to see what he could do.

A half an hour later, he returned with a metal frame approximately 2 ft x 3 ft in size to use as a base. Saying he wasn't sure if it would work, he fastened the dish to the base and proceeded to complete the installation. Lo and behold, it worked...and he got my receiver set up, called in my set-up, gave me very basic idea on how it worked and then instructed me to go buy two cinder blocks to place on the metal base to keep it from moving. At no time did he physically fasten the base or the dish to the balcony.

This seemed a little strange to me. Any opinions on this? I told him that the area I live in is frequently windy and I didn't feel that this method of installation would last through any kind of significant wind.

I was right. Today, we have heavy winds and, guess what? No signal.

I've called DirecTV to send someone out to "reinstall" the dish. Any suggestions on how this SHOULD be installed?

Your installer was originally correct. A Bucket with a pole that is flush with the ground and cemented in is the best option for an apartment based installation. Do not expect the installer to provide any of this, he will charge you extra.

After some research, I've discovered the problem is basically because I followed the installer's advice. Two concrete blocks -- his advice -- is not enough to weigh the mounting base down.

I wouln't think it would be too hard for him to advise me to buy six concrete blocks instead of only two. I've never handled the installation of one of these systems and merely relied on his "expertise". I guess that was dumb.

You got a real NOVICE. It's unfortunate that there are so many of them out there.

I don't think so, A novice wouldn't have used a sled mount. He figured telling somebody to lug two cinderblocks up some stairs is better than saying six.

I don't think so, A novice wouldn't have used a sled mount. He figured telling somebody to lug two cinderblocks up some stairs is better than saying six.

Well, six would keep the thing from moving which would prevent the problem of me losing my signal completely. I've now had no signal for two days and won't have a signal until Wednesday...which could have been easily prevented had he just explained things a little better.

If anybody's the novice here, it's me...and I'll fully admit that. But I don't make a living installing DirecTV either.

I am missing some information here, The tech gave you a sled for free, something that isn't provided by D*

I am missing some information here, The tech gave you a sled for free, something that isn't provided by D*

Great. I got something for free...except the signal I'm paying for. That's what I have a problem with.

Again, my question was "Is there a better way to install the dish on my balcony?" not "Did I get ripped off?"

Today, I went out and bought 4 more cinder blocks to use with the sled mount. Hopefully, that will solve the problem.

On Thursday, I had my DirecTV HD dish and receiver installed. Having been unsatisfied with cable, I figured I'd made the right choice by going with DirecTV.

I live in an apartment building and had gotten permission from my landlord to get the dish installed, which included permission to have a hole drilled for my dish's cable to enter the apartment.

When the installer arrived, he came to my door with no equipment and said he wanted to "scout the location" first before bringing anything up. After going out on my balcony, he announced that I might have to go buy a bucket, fill it with cement and put a pole in it to mount the Ka Ku dish because it was too big to mount on my balcony railing. He then said that he'd have talk to his supervisor who was downstairs to see what he could do.

A half an hour later, he returned with a metal frame approximately 2 ft x 3 ft in size to use as a base. Saying he wasn't sure if it would work, he fastened the dish to the base and proceeded to complete the installation. Lo and behold, it worked...and he got my receiver set up, called in my set-up, gave me very basic idea on how it worked and then instructed me to go buy two cinder blocks to place on the metal base to keep it from moving. At no time did he physically fasten the base or the dish to the balcony.

This seemed a little strange to me. Any opinions on this? I told him that the area I live in is frequently windy and I didn't feel that this method of installation would last through any kind of significant wind.

I was right. Today, we have heavy winds and, guess what? No signal.

I've called DirecTV to send someone out to "reinstall" the dish. Any suggestions on how this SHOULD be installed?
Cut your installer some slack he apparently was new and did the NPR mount at the suggestion of his supervisor. The information he gave you for cement blocks probably came from the same supervisor, 2 blocks would barely be enough for an 18" dish never mind a 36" dish. I would have told you at least 2 bags of concrete mix instead of concrete blocks. A bag generally weighs 80 Lbs. and costs less than blocks.:)

isnt non penetrating mount cost like 80 bucks?

So it seems the general consensus is that I ripped off the installer even though I have no signal 48 hours after the install due to the job not being completed correctly.

Jeez, I guess I missed the part where it was my job to be the installer and not the customer.

Maybe it's because some of you guys deal with this everyday. All I did was setup a subscription to Directv via their website and schedule an installation. Then I followed the installer's advice. Yet, I'm the bad guy to the majority of those that have responded.

I guess I don't operate with the same logic as everyone else here.

Thanks for the assistance. :(

Your installer could have given you more information about the number of blocks required. But right now you need to fix your install. I had a similar installation in the very early days of DirecTV. I made a box out of plywood and 2 by 4s. Filled it with sand and sat it on the balcony. I know it's not your job to fix the install but you probably just need to rotate the sled until you get a good signal (unless the dish has been knocked off of the sled). A few more blocks should hold it in place. When it's all been tweeked (by you or an installer) mark the position of two corners of the sled on the balcony (I used electrical tape) and if it ever moves again, just kick it back into place.

isnt non penetrating mount cost like 80 bucks?

I can get them for $45+shipping. They are cheaper in bulk, of course. I'm betting this guy got an HSP tech. Perhaps DTV does not allow them to charge for items like these. I do not know because I am not and would not be involved with an HSP. HSPs are about the only ones who can afford to give stuff like that away for free. They'll just make it up by stealing it back from the techs, $5 here, $20 there.

At most apartments, they won't let you dig a hole, so how are you supposed to put a pole in a bucket full of concrete "flush with the ground?" Even if you did dig a hole for it, it would not be stable. Dishes shouldn't be in buckets period.

Last edited:
Well, six would keep the thing from moving which would prevent the problem of me losing my signal completely. I've now had no signal for two days and won't have a signal until Wednesday...which could have been easily prevented had he just explained things a little better.

If anybody's the novice here, it's me...and I'll fully admit that. But I don't make a living installing DirecTV either.

Why don't you just go outside and reaim it yourself? It's not rocket science. Besides, it is probably only off by a few degrees either way, with your elevation, and skew just fine. Just pull up the signal meter on the tv and go out there and just inch it along until you get a signal. I'm not saying it will be perfect, but it is worth a try until you get a proper realignment done. :eureka

Fix it yourself! Nothing would have been changed except the side to side (azimuth) adjustment, just turn it left to right until you get a signal and do some fine tuning after it comes in (use the signal meter in the menu). Then proceed to put a couple heavy things on or around the base to keep it from moving. Problem sovled.

Yeah, I tried that on several occasions on Sunday and today. I don't get any signal at all, which leads me to believe that either the dish itself somehow came loose (it was really banging around out there Saturday in the 30-40 mph winds, with the sled lifting off of the balcony by at least at inch or more several times over the course of the day) or the cabling was affected by the weather or both.

The more I've read on the forum here, regarding grounding and the use of the seemingly unreliable flat cables (the installer did not drill a hole through my wall, but told me he'd use the flat cable connector to pass through my not-quite-able-to-close sliding glass door), the more I wonder about how adequate the install was really done (sled mount aside).

Without debating all of that, I'll just see what gets done about this on Wednesday morning when someone is supposed to come out and look at it.

DirecTV instructed me not to pay for anything when they come back out because it wasn't done correctly the first time.

I just want a working installation that I don't have to fuss over constantly. (I understand rain, snow, weather interruptions are all a part of the deal...my parents had a C-band dish back in the 1980s. But this method of installation I have now seems really rinky-dink.)

BTW, the "flush with the ground bucket" idea won't work for me...I'm five stories off the ground.

Last edited:
I can get them for $45+shipping. They are cheaper in bulk, of course. I'm betting this guy got an HSP tech. Perhaps DTV does not allow them to charge for items like these. I do not know because I am not and would not be involved with an HSP. HSPs are about the only ones who can afford to give stuff like that away for free. They'll just make it up by stealing it back from the techs, $5 here, $20 there.

At most apartments, they won't let you dig a hole, so how are you supposed to put a pole in a bucket full of concrete "flush with the ground?" Even if you did dig a hole for it, it would not be stable. Dishes shouldn't be in buckets period.

D does allow for charging. If you read the 1st post he was more upset about the tech telling him it won't work on balcony, This guy didn't want to pay for anything so they tech call his office and they probably told him to give him the sled for free and f'em him and those cinder blocks.

D does allow for charging. If you read the 1st post he was more upset about the tech telling him it won't work on balcony, This guy didn't want to pay for anything so they tech call his office and they probably told him to give him the sled for free and f'em him and those cinder blocks.

I was never told I'd be charged for anything. I never argued with the installer. I never said two words to the installer regarding being charged/not charged for anything. The sled mount decision wasn't "forced"...I never asked for anything. I set up an installation and let the guy do his thing.

He never said anything about charging me. He did say before he did anything that I MIGHT have to go buy a bucket, fill it with cement and put a pole in it. My response, in it's entirety, was "Oh?" Then he disappeared for a half an hour and returned with the sled mount.

If you read my first post, what I was upset about is that the balcony install wasn't physically attached to anything in a windy area.

You're assuming a lot and are completely picturing me as someone who complained throughout the install. I simply allowed the guy to do his job and trusted his expertise. I asked him specifically if the install he was giving me would last in the wind and he said, "Yes, no problem." That was the extent of my "complaining and bitching".

You should take some pictures and post them here, so people can see the mount, and if possible, someone might be able to make a suggestion for you.

There may be a way to use the sled, and maybe a few other things that you could try.

I'm sure with all the members and installers that read this forum, someone would be able to give some good solid advice.

So, get the Digi-cam out let's see what you got!

I've got to run to work, but I snapped some quick pics. Have at it. Just remember, this was how the installer said it should be done. I didn't TELL him to do it this way.

dish1.jpg

dish2.jpg

dish3.jpg

dish4.jpg

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)