Question about Dish Switches

MW390

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
I presently have a few Dish 5xx DVR receivers attached to a Dish 500 dish. One of the receivers has a SW44 switch (installed in 1998). I was thinking of getting a VIP722K but I understand I need a DP44 and DP33 switch so I can use 1 cable.

My question is what order do I hook up these switches and what purpose does the SW44 serve just for the 1 receiver?

Also can I do this new setup w a Dish 500 dish.

BTW the guy at Dish said there's no one there to answer this question (huh?) and
he'd give me a local installer number, but I would guess the guy wouldn't say anything unless I bought something from him.

If there is a URL with concise easy to understand info I'll go read it. Thanks

If you want HD on the 722 you will need a new dish that will already have the right switch built into it (1K.2 or 1K.4 depending where you live) Your old DVRs will not work with the 1K.4

If you want to keep the 500 dish you would have to change the LNBs to DishPro and use a DPP44 or a 33. You will not need both

The SW44 can run 4 tuners but the 722 would need 2 lines from it

Why is only 1 rec on the switch?

If you want HD on the 722 you will need a new dish that will already have the right switch built into it (1K.2 or 1K.4 depending where you live) Your old DVRs will not work with the 1K.4

If you want to keep the 500 dish you would have to change the LNBs to DishPro and use a DPP44 or a 33. You will not need both

The SW44 can run 4 tuners but the 722 would need 2 lines from it

Why is only 1 rec on the switch?

I honestly cant tell you why only 1 receiver is on the SW44. And the switch is IN the house right near the receiver.
I guess I have to trace the wire and see what the deal is. I have one cable run straight to my man cave upstairs
and it's not on ANY switches. So if I run 2 OUT cables from the SW44 I can power the 722?

I'm not sure if I want Dish HD. I'm the only one with an HDTV and I use an antenna and get all my locals.
The only cable channels I watch are TBS, TNT, A&E, Comedy, USA, SyFy (but MOSTLY USA). I actually
prefer watch my USA shows on PC as they are in WS.
The other 2 TVs with DVRs are 4:3 SDTVs.

The box by the rec inside is most likely the power inserter for the switch. Its has one input and 1 output.
DO NOT run a splitter off it.

The switch should have 4 lines into it from the dish and 1 line out to each rec. It is probably close to the dish.

If you have 4 recs hooked up already you will need to upgrade the dish/lnb/switch to run more than 4 tuners

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)