Question about installers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gigahurtz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2006
My installer was a very down to earth guy. I was pleased with his work, he was honest with me and very upfront. He left me his direct cell number and said to call him directly if I have any issues. I've had two issues, one service call and he took care of it (bad H25 causing poor whole home dvr experience). If I call him directly, does he still get paid? Is there any problem with me doing it this way or am I going to have issues with DirecTV?

I scheduled the service call for the whole home DVR issues for Monday. Apparently, he canceled the service call but still came out and took care of the issue. The DTV CSR told me that for each service call, my "warranty" on my equipment will reset for 90 days. Since he canceled the appointment, this doesn't happen. Is this right?

Calling him directly is the best way to insure that he doesn't get screwed out of his pay. If you call DIRECTV and complain, they'll use it as an excuse to stiff the installer at some level.

Calling him directly is the best way to insure that he doesn't get screwed out of his pay. If you call DIRECTV and complain, they'll use it as an excuse to stiff the installer at some level.

I gotcha, and I definitely want him to get his money, but I also want to be sure I'm protected as well. I in no way want him to lose out, but I'm locking in on a 2 year agreement and want to be sure I have no issues. He also said I can call him whenever, even months/years after my installation. How would he get paid in that situation?

you have the protection plan giga?

Not yet. Since I just signed up, the rep on the phone said not to worry about getting it since I'm covered for 90 days on a new installation anyway. She said I could always add it if I ever needed it.

well you would be fully covered as long as you have the protection plan. i'd follow harshness's advise and call the installer directly. and you already know that after 90 days you can add the protection plan and be worry free

he is lucky he saw the service call as it would be best for you to call him not the company if they say we must send tech . If he swaps out gear it will no ding him but your 90day window will still start over when he turns on the new box.

When you call DTV and they set up a service call it is the last techs fault and he will be lose $100 no mater what and some jobs dont even pay out that much. I have lost $$ for .... Kid swiping the new batters for his dead ones in his video game. Wrong input on the HDTV even after 3 x of showing the customer how to get tv back (80 years old). Nasty roaches. And POS gear that should have no fault on the installer as he had no part in making the boxes.

harshness said:

Thats the worst way. Calling us directly gets us no money. Without a work order, we don't make a dime unless somebody tips us

rocket69 said:
he is lucky he saw the service call as it would be best for you to call him not the company if they say we must send tech . If he swaps out gear it will no ding him but your 90day window will still start over when he turns on the new box.

When you call DTV and they set up a service call it is the last techs fault and he will be lose $100 no mater what and some jobs dont even pay out that much. I have lost $$ for .... Kid swiping the new batters for his dead ones in his video game. Wrong input on the HDTV even after 3 x of showing the customer how to get tv back (80 years old). Nasty roaches. And POS gear that should have no fault on the installer as he had no part in making the boxes.

Wow! Who do you work for!?

Thats the worst way. Calling us directly gets us no money. Without a work order, we don't make a dime unless somebody tips us

yes this is normally true, or at least was when i worked for both halstead and multiband back in the day, but sometimes its easier to eat the 30bucks were paid for a s/c (well thats what i think i made) to prevent a sin90/30/7/1 on us, which certain companies backcharge for as said by rocket69

If that's not the best way, why would the installer give me his number than? I understand he won't get paid if there are service calls right after his installation, but he told me to call him regardless (even 6 - 12 months from now).

gigahurtz said:
If that's not the best way, why would the installer give me his number than? I understand he won't get paid if there are service calls right after his installation, but he told me to call him regardless (even 6 - 12 months from now).

We have a certain bracket of jobs lasting we have to meet. 7 days, 30 days, and 90 days. We don't want somebody calling back within this time frame for an issue. We would then rather you call us during this time frame but afterwards it's sort of pointless for us as we won't get paid. I tell people to call me if they ever have a problem but not everybody. Cool, down to earth, having some sense of electronics. Them are the people we can count on to trouble shoot first. The people that can't even comprehend how the volume button works...yeah, call Directv

We have a certain bracket of jobs lasting we have to meet. 7 days, 30 days, and 90 days. We don't want somebody calling back within this time frame for an issue. We would then rather you call us during this time frame but afterwards it's sort of pointless for us as we won't get paid. I tell people to call me if they ever have a problem but not everybody. Cool, down to earth, having some sense of electronics. Them are the people we can count on to trouble shoot first. The people that can't even comprehend how the volume button works...yeah, call Directv
Makes sense

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)