Question about legality of using a Super Dish 121 with an FTA receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jsog

Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
North America
Hello all,

I had a couple questions regarding the legality of using a Super Dish 121 with an FTA receiver.

-I was gifted an old Super Dish 121 from a friend who moved away. He told me that he bought a newer dish and the installer told him he could keep the old dish and didn't plan to use it anymore.

-I intend to play around with this dish and some lower end FTA receivers before purchasing fancier hardware.

-I do not intend on stealing Dish Network service nor modifying an FTA receiver to receive channels illegally

My questions are:

-Is it legal to use a Dish Network dish with an FTA receiver to receive FTA channels?

-Does Dish Network technically still own the dish? Is the dish my private property?

-Can I modify the dish itself to receive FTA channels better, such as switch out LNBs? Is this legal?

-Must I have subscribed to Dish Network services before in order to 'own' the dish?

Apologies if these questions have been covered / are incredibly newbish.

Thanks! :eek:

:welcome to Satelliteguys!!!!

Heck yeah use it all that they care about sometimes are the LNBF assembly on the dish. Sometimes they want that back, but if installer didn't want it, use it.
And yeah modify the dish all you want. I have two Super dishes right now on FTA....One Type I and one Type II.

:welcome to Satelliteguys!!!!

Heck yeah use it all that they care about sometimes are the LNBF assembly on the dish. Sometimes they want that back, but if installer didn't want it, use it.
And yeah modify the dish all you want. I have two Super dishes right now on FTA....One Type I and one Type II.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Because you know, it's funny. My neighbor upstairs had Dish Network service installed upstairs. When I got home, she informed me the installer had taken my Super Dish 121, LNBs, custom built tripod and mast, DP-34 switch, and about 30ft of cable with him.

....Yeah.

She says that he said "this is dish network property" and "we gotta get this outta here".
He also mentioned something about recycling them, that there was gold in the LNBs.

My neighbor also mentioned that he took the dish right after she told him not to, and she said it was not theirs and that it belonged to me.
He also came back later after my neighbor had left and took the tripod and mast.

So, you see how my earlier questions are related? :(

Any thoughts? o_O

He stole from you. Nothing illegal about owning that. Unless you are stealing service and they catch u could they take your stuff. I'd call the cops on him

I'd be curious if perhaps installers are paid some fee by Dish for each returned dish and accessories? He sounds too conscientious. There must be a motive for him to go to the trouble of retrieving old hardware that wasn't resulting from his day's work orders.

I have seen large piles of older style Dish and Directv dishes at the big local recycling business where I take my scrap metal to be recycled. The businesses that install satellite services sell them for scrap by the truckload here in Idaho. They don't re-use outdated dishes.

He stole scrap metal from you.

The installer was wrong, to put it nicely. I wouldn't assume the installer did anything malicious, he may just be a complete idiot parroting what he was told by his supervisor. Nevertheless, I would be highly upset. NONE of what that installer took belonged to him or the company he worked with or for. Call in immediately and threaten to file a police report if the equipment is not returned. Be careful to not get the guy fired though... Give him a chance to get it back to you.

That stuff is NOT just scrap metal. It may be such to some, but to others it could easily go for $50 to $100 since it's got a custom mount, and it's a rare dish now-a-days. Not may 121s floating around. They can be converted to pick up 118, which would make it a valuable dish.

This is an installers back yard in my area. He tosses dishes in the pile, when it gets big enough off to the salvage yard they go sold for cash. But he was nice enough to let me take a few home!

04-20-10_1241.jpg

Pixl, that was very nice of him indeed! I see two in particular that would have been going home with me if I'd been given the chance ;) ...

The Slimline dishes are now common enough to find out for the trash quite often in my area. I picked one up just last week.

Go to the very top of this page, click
settings
general settings
Thread display options
visible post elements
see that "show images" box is checked
Save changes

The picture should auto display in the message window without any clicking, copying, or pasting.

Last edited:
The installer that did our 1000.4 tried to make off with my dish 500 assembly and a dish 300 as well.I was like nuh uh.He was planning on taking them to the scrap yard.No thanks pal I can do that myself.Metal brings pretty decent money,not to mention the fact ya never know when an lnb might go bad as we have a mixed western arc setup too.

I would call the police. They (dish) have to show proof that they own it.

You also have to prove which installer took it. They probably get away with taking dishes like that all the time but it will catch up to him sooner or later. I always ask before taking a dish if someone is not using it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)