Question about locals...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

uli2000

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 17, 2006
First off, I hope this hasnt been asked before. I searched and didnt find anything.

Anyways, I'm interested in making the swich to D* from E*. The biggest thing holding me back is the avalibility of local channels. My locals (Salt Lake City) are avalible in HD, but I guess I live outside the spotbeam as they are not avalible where I live (eastern NV). As well, there is no local HD broadcast at all. Would I be able to recieve distand HD networks since I dont have any HD access?

Enter Address

Go to that site and enter your address. Assuming there are no local channels available through DirecTV this will tell you what you can get automatically. You may be able to get more with waivers and such.

grrr...Only says Im elegeble for Fox. Oh well, guess Ive got to stick with E*.

Here is the site to find out:
just make sure you type http://
directvdnseligibility.decisionmark.com/app/AddressForm.aspx

What part of eastern Nevada are you in? Even though the D* site says HD locals aren't available here, I still get them. I don't think they've updated that part of the site for a long time. As for the spot beam not being strong enough, the Salt Lake channels are currently on transponder 4 on the Spaceway at 103 which I'm seeing at a signal strength of 95 in West Wendover. D* is in the process of moving the Salt Lake locals to D10, 103(s) transponder 19, for a broader footprint to hit southern Utah. I'm seeing that signal at 100. If you are sure you are in the Salt Lake DMA, you will get the HD channels. Explain your situation to D* when you call them and make sure they authorize your box for them. With a decent dish alignment, the signal will be there.

Last edited:
Sorry just a quick question, I'm new to the forum, what does E* stand for?

When the op didn't respond, I looked at some of his other posts and despite him asking if this has ever been brought up before in this thread, he's brought it up himself in other threads. Looks suspiciously like another E* troll. His claimed location in another thread would be Ely, which would be way out of range for OTA from Salt Lake and bordering on the Las Vegas DMA.

E* = Echostar or Dish Network

Isn't E* technically incorrect now that Echostar has officially changed their name to Dish Network? We may have to call it *Dis, but that in itself is dumb because for the same amount of letters you can just type Dish.

Isn't E* technically incorrect now that Echostar has officially changed their name to Dish Network? We may have to call it *Dis, but that in itself is dumb because for the same amount of letters you can just type Dish.

Is it official yet? I know that they filled to change the name but have not seen anything on it being completed yet.

IT si official but the use of E* was never official. IT was just a widely accepted convention. It is not even the trafding symbol for Echostar---that was always DISH. So we can continue to use it if we choose to.

What part of eastern Nevada are you in? Even though the D* site says HD locals aren't available here, I still get them. I don't think they've updated that part of the site for a long time. As for the spot beam not being strong enough, the Salt Lake channels are currently on transponder 4 on the Spaceway at 103 which I'm seeing at a signal strength of 95 in West Wendover. D* is in the process of moving the Salt Lake locals to D10, 103(s) transponder 19, for a broader footprint to hit southern Utah. I'm seeing that signal at 100. If you are sure you are in the Salt Lake DMA, you will get the HD channels. Explain your situation to D* when you call them and make sure they authorize your box for them. With a decent dish alignment, the signal will be there.

Im in Ely, 89301

and jdspencer, no locals are avalible in hd where I live. In fact, I just heard that since we get all of out tv via repeaters (a few each from SLC, Vegas, and one from Reno), we are exempt from the Feb 2009 digital switchover. So if and when we ever get digital broadcasting, I'm sure the county will only spring for broadcasting the sd signal only, not hd or any of the subchannels.

When the op didn't respond, I looked at some of his other posts and despite him asking if this has ever been brought up before in this thread, he's brought it up himself in other threads. Looks suspiciously like another E* troll. His claimed location in another thread would be Ely, which would be way out of range for OTA from Salt Lake and bordering on the Las Vegas DMA.

Believe me, Im far from a E* troll. I want to leave as soon as I can, but without hd locals, I just cant justify it. I forgot to sub to this thread and forgot all about it untill today.

I already have waivers from fox and abc. I got them when I lived in Maine about 8 years ago and have had them ever since. I currently live in the Norfolk area where they have no HD on dtv. I am getting the new dish on Tuesday. My question is will I be able to receive Hd from the New York and LA Fox and ABC?

Do you know if/when they will move them to the other satellite? I really want to ditch Dish Network sooner than later.

Do you know if/when they will move them to the other satellite? I really want to ditch Dish Network sooner than later.

Unfortunately D* went with transponder 21 on D10. Where I used to see readings in the 90's when the locals were on the Spaceway, I am now seeing readings only in the 60's on transponder 21 from D10. The signal is still usable here, but since I'm in West Wendover and with that low signal here I'm afraid you would have a hard time even receiving it in Ely if D* were to authorize you to receive it. Transponder 19 is still in the 90's, but they don't seem to be going to use it for us. Since there is not another market for hundreds of miles, I'm still puzzled as to what they are doing with that signal. I'm afraid in your situation you are stuck with Dish unless D* will give you waivers. Your only other option would be to go ahead with the install and in a couple of weeks tell them you moved to Las Vegas which has a solid signal up here. This would be a violation of D*'s terms of service and could cause you problems later although others claim to have done this with no repercussions. I guess it depends on how badly you want to dump Dish.
If its any consolation Elko is in the same boat. Even when the locals were still on the Spaceway which provided them with a strong signal, D* wouldn't authorize their boxes for the locals. Both Elko and Ely are unquestionably in the Salt Lake DMA so I don't know why D* is playing these games with our market.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts