question about low power station

localclassictvfan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 26, 2015
Lafayette, Louisiana
I live about 12 miles from the KLAF signal according to tv fool. KLAF-LD is low power and when I was living in Carencro i would catch 46.1 good if i turn the antenna straight south (103°) only, of course i was maybe 7 miles from the station. Now living north of Rayne I purchased an outstanding antenna and I set the antenna towards the 87° which is where i get my best signals on all my stations. Well 46.1 was coming in great till yesterday now i cant get it at all. Was thinking maybe the weather messed it up or they doing some work. I dont really wanna call the station but i hope the signal comes back on in time for NBC to launch.

I read an article from the independent in Lafayette that the channel is going hd on the launch. I assume that one of two things will happen. Being since KADN 15.1 is at 720p 15.2 KLAF NBC will also be likewise and the 15.3 MNTV will be 480i. Secondly the only way i could get 46.1 was facing the antenna straight south and that is when i was living closer to Lafayette. With my new antenna i was getting 46.1 good wth 2 signal bars since Tuesday but now its off. So hopefully the upgrade is the reason. I am hoping that Nexstar will make it to where 46.1 is strong enough to receive to where it doesn't need to be a subchannel of KADN. Usually big to mid market do not have triopolies. But you two, your guesses are probably right we'll see in the next 10 days

I read an article from the independent in Lafayette that the channel is going hd on the launch.
correct

I assume that one of two things will happen. Being since KADN 15.1 is at 720p 15.2 KLAF NBC will also be likewise and the 15.3 MNTV will be 480i.
probably. You can do 1 1080i, 1 720p and 1 480i station together. I've seen it in places where Gray Broadcasting did the subchannel and the main was 1080i already and the sub was 720p. Now with FOX being 720p to begin with, they could do NBC at 1080i on the subchannel. But I guess you'll just have to wait and see

Secondly the only way i could get 46.1 was facing the antenna straight south and that is when i was living closer to Lafayette. With my new antenna i was getting 46.1 good wth 2 signal bars since Tuesday but now its off.
their coverage is goofy especially to the west
http://rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=1502551&map=Y

So hopefully the upgrade is the reason. I am hoping that Nexstar will make it to where 46.1 is strong enough to receive to where it doesn't need to be a subchannel of KADN.
won't happen. 46 does not have any construction permit to upgrade. They're at 2650 watts. Nextar will keep it as a subchannel for the fact that a full power station will have better coverage on the outskirts. Nexstar hopes that folks will watch the now "local" NBC instead of watching say KPLC out of Lake Charles or KALB from Alexandria. which are not owned by them (I guess if you watch NBC out of BR its still Nexstar) ;)
just assume that KLAF (being the tower is near Lafayette) will help the indoor antenna folks

I agree with you on that one. It would be alot easier to just just keep the triopoly on 15. An indoor antenna where i live actually would receive better. If you cut the tree line down where i live you can see the KADN, and the other two towers right in front. Years ago when i started seeing wvla on the KADN sign on eraste landry i figured someday we were getting nbc. If nexstar does decide to subchannel and add two to 46 like wbxh did with theirs i sure hope i can catch it. Nonetheless we'll see July 1

correct

probably. You can do 1 1080i, 1 720p and 1 480i station together. I've seen it in places where Gray Broadcasting did the subchannel and the main was 1080i already and the sub was 720p. Now with FOX being 720p to begin with, they could do NBC at 1080i on the subchannel. But I guess you'll just have to wait and see

won't happen. 46 does not have any construction permit to upgrade. They're at 2650 watts. Nextar will keep it as a subchannel for the fact that a full power station will have better coverage on the outskirts. Nexstar hopes that folks will watch the now "local" NBC instead of watching say KPLC out of Lake Charles or KALB from Alexandria. which are not owned by them (I guess if you watch NBC out of BR its still Nexstar) ;)
just assume that KLAF (being the tower is near Lafayette) will help the indoor antenna folks

I was wrong again. I raised my antenna 5 feet and picked up a couple more channels good including KLAF. If their upgrading anything thats not the reason why I lost the signal. Actually I would have to live inside the parish of Lafayette to get it good and from what i was told i would lose the majority of the channels outside lafayette including the one launching heroes and Icons. However i was told not to worry there isn't going to be any diginets on 46 anytime soon unless they get a separate translator tower for KLAF and as you said Iceburg that aint happening. Again thanks for your help

correct

The coverage is not only goofy but thats about the stupidest coverage map you can have...People in St. Martinville and New Iberia and Arnaudville can get the coverage better than me and that is 30 miles east.....Yeah i am burning up right now...I just checked it.....however i screwed up and posted this as a new thread sorry about that.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts