Question about new setup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SkySurfer80

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
Ok I just recently moved into a new home. I am not wanting to put up a pole at the moment but was wondering if any of you have ever used a tripod or a stand for a motorized system, that way I can easily move it anytime needed. Would a stand or a tripod hold it when the motor moves? Also the spot I want to put it has the cable box connection that all the cables are at running through the house so I wont have to bury any cable.

Another thing I am looking at getting either a 39" dish motorized or a 1.2 meter. It looks like the price is a huge difference! Considering I am trying to do it on a stand or tripod and the price which would be better? Would the signal be that much better from a 1.2 and a 39"?

I use exclusively wooden palettes because they are free, stable, low so easy-to-work on, and portable. I bolt the J-stand that comes with a dish to the palette. Palettes are not the most aesthetically pleasing to the eye, but they are functional and practical if you don't want to sink a "permanent" pole into concrete. By the way, palettes are also easy to rebalance to keep the J-stand vertical portion exactly plumb. I simply use thin shims under the palettes as necessary.

The problem with 3-legged tripods are they may shift when the motor turns from one side to the other. A 39-inch dish is likely sufficient in Tennessee considering cost savings and ease of installation.

But, since I'm a bit of a satellite hobbyist, I would personally only use a 1.2m dish if I were starting again. I hate it when comfortably numb can receive something but I can't and he's only using a 90-cm dish.

Added: I guess the correct answer is to use a non-penetrating mount on the ground. They aren't that expensive and can be moved when necessary.

Yep, only way to properly pull this off and to get it to come close to working properly, is to us a Non-Pen mount and cement blocks.

Here are my measured C/N numbers when comparing a 1.2m and 1m dish in the same yard aiming at 87W Ku. So you can see there isn't a huge difference. The fade margin with a 1m will be less before you lose lock on a channel such as during a rain storm.

Patient channel
1m: 9.7 dB
1.2 m: 10.6 dB

LPB
1m: 6.7 dB
1.2m: 7.4 dB

Newsource
1m: 6.2 dB
1.2m: 6.7 dB

Florida channel
1m: 10.0 dB
1.2m: 11.5 dB

Reactions: c-spand
A guy locally has a Hughesnet NPRM with a 2 3/8 inch mast that is 30 inches in length. Would that be a good size for putting up a motor? Do these mounts have a way to level out the pole on them and without bricks do you think it would hold or would I need bricks to hold it down?

Yes, that NPRM would work fine. You will need the brinks, especially with a motor.

Make sure they are cinder(concrete) blocks not little tiny bricks. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts