Question about OTA on the VIP622

No_Brains

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
Princeton, WV
first i hope that i am in the correct place. I have a question about the OTA on the VIP 622.
I know to get the OTA guide information you must subscribed to your local channels from dish network.
But I dont subscribe to local channels yet from dish network, as they dont have them for the Bluefield, WV area at this moment.

but where im located in Princeton, WV. i did the channel scan and got 3 channels
WVVA 6.1 NBC
WVVA 6.2 CW
WLFB 40.1 a religious channel.

but the weird thing is I get guide information for the 14.1 WLFB
why is that. If i can get it for WLFB, then why cant it somehow
do the WVVA channels, since they dont have the local channels for this area

Last edited:
I get my locals thru dish, so i get the guide data.

But, I do have a similar situation. I happen to get some out-of-market channels off the back of my antenna. I also get guide data for them even tho there is no dish provided equivalent.

Must be because they are out-of-market or something.

I am receiving several OTA's from a neighboring DMA for channels which I do not subscribe to and I am getting the program guide for them, based on everything I have read I should not be getting the guide but it is there

Bob

I am halfway between Milwaukee amd Chicago, (Milw. is my local market), I get a total of 52 off air channels with about half of them from the Chicago area. I get full guide listings on most of the channels I get from Chicago, so I guess I am just one of the lucky ones!

99.9% of my customers get the locals via Dish but I installed a 211 for a customer the other day who did NOT get the locals. He had an outdoor antenna which I hooked up and scanned in the ota channels. He got the two he wanted so he was satisfied. The guide info showed up no problem.

I believe that if the channel is in E*'s system, you will get the guide data. From my location, I can pick up the OTA channels from 3 DMA's. I only subscribe to one but get the guide data for all three.

I believe that if the channel is in E*'s system, you will get the guide data. From my location, I can pick up the OTA channels from 3 DMA's. I only subscribe to one but get the guide data for all three.
You are correct. If dish has a local channel that they provide either sd or hd thru the sat ,and you receive that channel ota, you will get guide data for the ota(provided you pay for locals) If dish doesnt offer that channel thru the sat, their wont be any guide data for that channel no matter what.

This is not always true. I receive stations in Chicago (MeToo 26.3 and ThatTV 26.4) that Dish does not offer and it does indeed have the Guide Data.

As for the extra channels, OTA's that are distant come and go, I occasionally get the Milwaukee channels pop up in my scan but the next day, they disappear because of the distance. I just delete them because it's more of a rare occurence for them to come in....

You are correct. If dish has a local channel that they provide either sd or hd thru the sat ,and you receive that channel ota, you will get guide data for the ota(provided you pay for locals) If dish doesnt offer that channel thru the sat, their wont be any guide data for that channel no matter what.

How about this one--I get the guide info for Ch.6/Lansing, MI. on my 622 but not on my 722:confused: I'm the Flint DMA. On the 722 it justs says Digital Service. Guess I'm lucky to get it on the 622, don't think I'm supposed to. That's CBS and I get Ch.5 which is Flints' CBS affiliate. Go figger............

Ed

This is not always true. I receive stations in Chicago (MeToo 26.3 and ThatTV 26.4) that Dish does not offer and it does indeed have the Guide Data.

As for the extra channels, OTA's that are distant come and go, I occasionally get the Milwaukee channels pop up in my scan but the next day, they disappear because of the distance. I just delete them because it's more of a rare occurence for them to come in....

Indeed! Dish doesn't offer the digital subchannels here in Denver, but I get guide data for them.
I think you both are not understanding what i am saying.
Does dish offer the main channel? That is what i mean. If dish carries channel 26, you will get the guide data for 26 and all of its subchannels.
In denver the subchannel info you are receiving should be for the main channels that dish carries.
If dish doesnt carry channel 39 say thru its satellite, you shouldnt receive the info for 39 ota or any channel 39 subchannels.

Last edited:
How about this one--I get the guide info for Ch.6/Lansing, MI. on my 622 but not on my 722:confused: I'm the Flint DMA. On the 722 it justs says Digital Service. Guess I'm lucky to get it on the 622, don't think I'm supposed to. That's CBS and I get Ch.5 which is Flints' CBS affiliate. Go figger............

Ed
I would delete the channel and then rescan the box that isnt showing the correct guide data, it should be.

Doesnt matter what dma it is in. I receive 3 different dma ota and i get guide data for all of them and their subchannels. EXCEPT for the one station that dish doesnt carry thru its satellite. I dont get guide data for that one or its subchannels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)