GEOSATpro Question About The "Full Screen Signal Meter" usage.

avenger

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Slidell, Louisiana
Noticed that the "Full Screen Signal Meter" works great after scanning and finding a satellite. The meter function is a great aid in determining and peaking the signal strenght.

So far I have not been able to use it, or don't know how it works prior to finding a satellite. The discription in the Owners Manual states "It is simple to install or adjust a satellite dish with this unique histograph graphing meter". As mentioned earlier, I can determine the signal strenght only after the satellite is successfully found and scanned, not before.

What am I doing wrong, what is the procedure to make it work when searching for a new satellite. The "Orange" color signal key/button does not shows the graph or anything for me while searching for the unfound satellite.:confused:

As always Thanks in advance.

You need to manually put in a known strong transponder first. :)

The full screen signal meter is available from any scanned or pre-programmed channel. If a channel list is preloaded, the meter is available.

If no channel or channel list is available, use the installation menu as in regular receivers.

You need to manually put in a known strong transponder first. :)

I am using a preloaded channel list, cannot get the meter to come/show up from the start. There have to be something that I am not doing right.

How do I go about getting the signal meter to appear on the screen when searching for a satellite, so I can get an idea of to whether I am getting close to a good signal.

My problem is that I do not know how to activate the "Full Screen Signal Meter" when searching a signal from an unfound satellite. I am sure that there is a simple explanation to this procedure, but I have not found the answer. Keep in mind that I have no problem activating the screen meter after a satellite is search and found, but not before. LOL!!

Thanks again for your patience tolerance.

avenger.

Thanks again

I am using a preloaded channel list, cannot get the meter to come/show up from the start. There have to be something that I am not doing right.

How do I go about getting the signal meter to appear on the screen when searching for a satellite, so I can get an idea of to whether I am getting close to a good signal.

My problem is that I do not know how to activate the "Full Screen Signal Meter" when searching a signal from an unfound satellite. I am sure that there is a simple explanation to this procedure, but I have not found the answer. Keep in mind that I have no problem activating the screen meter after a satellite is search and found, but not before. LOL!!

Thanks again for your patience tolerance.

avenger.

Thanks again

That's just it, you CAN'T bring up the full-screen signal meter while scanning. You MUST already have a scanned in channel, and then you can bring up the full-screen meter to tweak the signal better.

I do not believe the answer matches the question.....I THINK .... OP has a TP and Channel he is looking for. He is looking for the satellite and wants the signal display to be on the screen as he moves the dish. If the TV is in any sun the small display is invisible, the full screen display is visible. N'est pas?

If you have a Channel list installed, select the channel number and press the Orange "SIGNAL" button on the remote control.

If you do not have a channel list for the satellite that you are trying to locate, create the channel using a channel editor. The Full Screen Signal meter will then be available when the Orange "SIGNAL" button is pressed on the remote control.

I do not believe the answer matches the question.....I THINK .... OP has a TP and Channel he is looking for. He is looking for the satellite and wants the signal display to be on the screen as he moves the dish.

Thanks, rv1pop.

That is exactly what I am looking for, I want to see that when I move the dish, the satellite signal bar strenght is shown. I want to be able to sneak up on the satellite signal as the dish is being moved by the GBox so as to have the best signal strenght from the start.....Is the microHD able of doing that??. Am I wishing and wanting too much from this wonder box.

Thank You.

If you have a Channel list installed, select the channel number and press the Orange "SIGNAL" button on the remote control.

Thanks, Brian.

The channel TPs for the satellite are installed, I want to be able to find the targeted satellite while viewing the the "Full Screen Signal Meter" when scanning/searching from one satellite to the next when utilizing and moving the dish with the GBox, am I making sense.

Thank You.

You need a actual "channel" either scanned in first, or added manually with the pc editor, before the full-screen signal meter will work.

The (that particular one) meter will not appear just for scanning in a sat that has never been scanned, or had channels added to it.

You have a transponder first, there may or may not be actual channels encoded on it. If there is not, you can't bring up that particular signal meter.

The confusion here seems to have been the difference between a:
  1. Satellite List
  2. Transponder List
  3. Channel List

Hope that this is now clearer than mud... ;)

That explains why I am having no luck in previewing the scanning satellite. I have put the Fortec (FLU), and the Viewsat Ultra to bed, I believe that one of those two was able to show me a sneak preview of the signal strenght of the satellite that was being scanned.....Well can't have it all.....Well back to scanning the next satellite.

Well. I am not the NORMAL hobbyist, so I set the channel to TBN and look for and find 97W in a hurry.. If you look for another satellite the add an exact channel name to your list and look for it. Just tried it on 123W (I think it was - too tired to verify and battery is low with the furnace on) added the station. About 15 minutes after hanging the dish on the mount, I had the channel. IDK it works for me.

That explains why I am having no luck in previewing the scanning satellite. I have put the Fortec (FLU), and the Viewsat Ultra to bed, I believe that one of those two was able to show me a sneak preview of the signal strenght of the satellite that was being scanned.....Well can't have it all.....Well back to scanning the next satellite.

The Coolsat 5000 was/is good for that. I find myself hooking it up to check settings, etc. quite often.
I'd love to have a custom firmware for the Micro HD with a menu system like the Coolsat 5000 :rolleyes:

you can tell if you are close to a signal when the signal quality has a gray indication an a level of ten.

i had to go through a complete realignment because my post had tipped so i was over half a bubble off to the south. and then i had to find all the satellites because i mistakenly set everything to zero with antenna setup. i find that when i am close to a satellite and i have a tp selected that is a strong signal, i get a small indication in the signal quality indication. using the east/west to move the dish back and forth i was able to center the dish over that signal. then i was able to go to the dish and raise/lower it until i had quality. fortunately i realized wallyhts sent me a signal strength meter, ws international sf99, that was a big help to peak the signal when i was raising/lowering out at the dish. hope this helps. charlie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts